School dinner desserts

Old Jun 20, 19, 10:14 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges

Originally Posted by Swanhunter View Post
Crumbles are an excellent dessert. Sadly much of the other stuff - spotted duck, neon yellow custard - is a hangover from the landfill mass catering of mid 20th Century UK. Not really a culinary era to be nostalgic for.
Of course, your point is astutely made.

My enjoyment of the Spotted Dick was definitely amplified because it brought back warm childhood memories of my grand mother's amazing clootie dumpling. If airline catering has the power to instil powerful memories then surely that cannot be a bad thing. Now, if rhubarb crumble could be served at FL350 with the sharpness of the rhubarb tempered with a castor sugar crunch, then I'd guarantee this pud would send me into a very high state of happiness
Old Jun 20, 19, 10:42 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Prospero View Post
Of course, your point is astutely made.

My enjoyment of the Spotted Dick was definitely amplified because it brought back warm childhood memories of my grand mother's amazing clootie dumpling. If airline catering has the power to instil powerful memories then surely that cannot be a bad thing. Now, if rhubarb crumble could be served at FL350 with the sharpness of the rhubarb tempered with a castor sugar crunch, then I'd guarantee this pud would send me into a very high state of happiness
There's the rub Sweetheart - in those ovens - partiularly steam ovens - how can you get a crispy crunchy crust? I'd make you my Rhubarb Crumble Ice cream and feed it to you myself and you would be mine forever. The real thing I make with Almonds in the crust although that would have people reaching for their Ipens and that I understand, so that's out. Anyone who honestly believes that the way to a man's heart is not via his stomach needs a life reapparaisal

Seriously I wish that the menus in CE changed more often, particularly from Gatwick. I for one am a tad bored with the same stuff desserts included.
Prospero likes this.
Old Jun 20, 19, 11:29 am

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
British desserts are very resilient, indulgent and require very minimal preparation onboard an aircraft once made. Furthermore some can work all year round.

Fruit crumble - with custard or cream.
Triffle
Banoffee pie
Sticky toffee pudding
Rice pudding - sorry Pucci
Almond tart
Treacle tart
Arctic roll
Eton mess
Custard tart - with a good dusting of nutmeg on top
Bread and butter pudding.
Old Jun 20, 19, 11:45 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, *A Silver, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, Karahi Express
Not quite understanding how this discussion is relevant to BA EC.

Old Jun 20, 19, 11:56 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by BAEC View Post
Not quite understanding how this discussion is relevant to BA EC.
As I see it, it's about BA Desserts, previous puddings etc and thoughts/ideas/what some would like to see for the future but some tongue in cheek stuff too with some good photos.

That's great and is typical of the BA Forum style at times and may I add that the nice Moderators we have allow some divergence in a very light hearted and upbeat thread with posts such as this.

Long may it continue, please
RoyalSwazi, T8191, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 20, 19, 12:00 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by MrALIG View Post
As trifle has custard and is lovely I will include it in the list of great British desserts
Could be a best seller if put on the BoB Menu as Marks and Spencer's Trifles are excellent
Old Jun 20, 19, 12:50 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BA (Silver) Asiana (Silver) Hllton (Gold)
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE View Post
how can you get a crispy crunchy crust?
I have a lot of experience microwaving precooked rhubarb crumble. It works well. The crisp is put on by previous oven cooking and is maintained. It's not completely at the original level, so you need to bake it slightly extra crispy. If the steam from the oven gets into the product, it will of course destroy the crisp. But my understanding was that the steam ovens mostly cook by conduction, so it should work fine. Unfortunately I haven't access to the facilities to test it myself, otherwise I surely would.
I would of course offer limbs in return for a chance to try your own version
A note on custard: There are many things that come labelled as custard. An egg custard made from scratch using fresh vanilla is the most gourmand variety. I would actually be loath to pair that with a good rhubarb crumble. If you set that custard and top with a slice of strawberry and real balsamic vinegar I'm v happy. But for the crumble I would actually prefer Bird's made with milk.
Custard decisions:
Set or Unset (starch or gelatin)
Synthetic V, V essence, V pods
Milk or Milkless
Egg or Eggless
Old Jun 20, 19, 1:13 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BA (Silver) Asiana (Silver) Hllton (Gold)
Just realised that it is possible to have a perfectly lovely RC&C that is totally vegan. How many 'birds' would that kill?
Old Jun 20, 19, 11:48 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by DeathSlam View Post
Just realised that it is possible to have a perfectly lovely RC&C that is totally vegan. How many 'birds' would that kill?
i do. Iím assuming that the major change would be to substitute the butter, but what with and how would it affect the taste?
Old Jun 21, 19, 3:10 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Perhaps our next FTBAEC get together everyone should bring a pudding...
T8191, icegirl, AlisonB84 and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 21, 19, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by DeathSlam View Post
A note on custard: There are many things that come labelled as custard. An egg custard made from scratch using fresh vanilla is the most gourmand variety. I would actually be loath to pair that with a good rhubarb crumble. If you set that custard and top with a slice of strawberry and real balsamic vinegar I'm v happy. But for the crumble I would actually prefer Bird's made with milk.
Custard decisions:
Set or Unset (starch or gelatin)
Synthetic V, V essence, V pods
Milk or Milkless
Egg or Eggless
You almost made me spat out my tea. I am mortified you seriously believe Birds custard over a real homemade variant. All you need is milk, double cream, eggs, sugar, proper madagasgan vanila bean pods and little time (10-15 mins). The need to even add agents is neither here nor there even if you want the custard set on not.
salut0 likes this.
Old Jun 21, 19, 7:39 am

Programs: BA Silver
Often wondered why they don't come round with big dishes of trifle or eton mess and serve you into a bowl a portion size depending on your needs !

Imagine a big sticking toffee pudding with choice of cream or ice cream....
salut0, T8191, pollycat and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 22, 19, 2:44 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Just been making jelly with my daughter and inspiration has hit me.

It is oft complained on here about drinks service during feeding time onboard. Simple and elegant solution. Alcoholic jelly and/or ice cream.
EDIwanderer likes this.
Old Jun 22, 19, 4:39 am

Originally Posted by Worcester View Post
Just been making jelly with my daughter and inspiration has hit me.

It is oft complained on here about drinks service during feeding time onboard. Simple and elegant solution. Alcoholic jelly and/or ice cream.
Alcoholic jelly is nothing new has been going on for years. Sherry is a classic example when making a trifle and Rose works very well. The more adventurous will go further use vodka.