School dinner desserts

Old Jun 19, 19, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
In fairness I am more of a Savoury than Sweet person .
We’ve noticed that occasionally.

Curiously, I seem to have fond memories of Tapioca Pudding (with jam or golden syrup) but I haven’t had that for decades.
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Jun 19, 19, 11:16 am

I could forgive a huge number misgivings if I opened a J/F menu and saw jam roly poly, arctic roll, rhubarb crumble....hell even jelly and ice cream would be a welcome change.

Old Jun 19, 19, 11:17 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Geordie405 View Post
Now, which is it? You can't sit on the fence here. Personally I'd go for custard

And would it be ketchup or brown sauce on a bacon sandwich? Ketchup all the time here!
Ice Cream. Everyone uses Vanilla - and the Carte d'Or is very good. I use Haagen Daaz Macademia Nut Crunch. My husband rings the Divorce Lawyer and stands him down when I make that.

C-W-S my Hero, you've hit this fair on the head - Seconds - now I'm always scrounging for more cheese as I'm a cheesaholic. Him Indoors will always eat another Pudding as he insists on calling it. At least I think that he is referring to his dessert (thank you T8191) and not to me

Last edited by PUCCI GALORE; Jun 19, 19 at 11:33 am
Old Jun 19, 19, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Oh, no ... PUCCI is stuck in the desert! Who will rescue her, and her typong skulls?
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 19, 19, 11:20 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by T8191 View Post
Oh, no ... PUCCI is stuck in the desert! Who will rescue her, and her typong skulls?
The Grim Reaper?
T8191 likes this.
Old Jun 19, 19, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I actually tend to think that dessert is often the better part of many a meal on both BA and many other airlines! For some reason I feel they tend to do them well!
Old Jun 19, 19, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ice cream is not a dessert. It’s a children’s food which applies doubly to the awful sundae nonsense on US airlines. 😉

JAXBA and nancypants like this.
Old Jun 19, 19, 11:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold. ihg Spire Elite. Hilton Honors Diamond. Radisson Gold
Is Tapioca Pudding that stuff that looks like frogspawn drowned in a sea of milk? If so, I will give that a miss.

However, speaking as someone brought up in the Yorkshire rhubarb triangle, a good helping rhubarb crumble & custard would be excellent. I would also give an honourable mention to Jam Roly-poly and custard, and spotted dick and custard.(No doubt followed by a gentle releasing of my trouser belt)!

We British (and BA by association) should celebrate our puddings, and not bother serving small portions of French and other country’s alleged delicacy’s.

As CWS rightly points out – it is cheap as well.
Old Jun 19, 19, 11:31 am

Programs: BA Silver
Tarmac and Fairy Liquid, my favourite school " afters"
Old Jun 19, 19, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK View Post
The Grim Reaper?
I'll reap you with my hairbrush, you cheeky monkey! No dessert/Pudding/or Afters for you!

No Champagne either!
Old Jun 19, 19, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by Swanhunter View Post
Ice cream is not a dessert. It’s a children’s food which applies doubly to the awful sundae nonsense on US airlines. 😉

If they actually used decent chocolate I would not mind. I make Dame Blanche with melted Lindt Chocolate 70%. Come round to mine and I will change your mind for ever.

I wish they'd serve Delia's Lemon Meringue Ice Cream or Rhubarb Crumble Ice Cream. I make both.
Old Jun 19, 19, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by Swanhunter View Post
Ice cream is not necessarily a children’s food. Obviously, in its finest forms, it can even be part of desserts at Michelin restaurants.

AA of course serves the sundaes because they are a low cost dessert that pleases their customer base. I would rather see something more sophisticated, but since we are talking about American carriers, they would probably botch any attempt at a better dessert. Hence the popularity of the low cost sundaes, that are too simple for anyone to screw up.
Old Jun 19, 19, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton

This is what i got in may. Very nice indeed.
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Jun 19, 19, 12:07 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BA (Silver) Asiana (Silver) Hllton (Gold)
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE View Post
Sweetheart I am afraid that I was put off it when in hospital as a child and the very thought makes me heave. No disrespect but I am very unfaddy with food, but that Tapioca,
The tapioca pearls used in tapioca pudding, noted as the most hated school desert by brits in the school meals of the 70s and before, are now seeing a resurgence in Asia as part of 'bubble tea' which I also find revolting. Tapioca itself is used in Skips to which I have no objection.

Further research on rhubarb crumble has delivered the following.
1) It's easy and cheap to make.
2) It survives reheating remarkably well.
3) It is quintessentially British. (Elsewhere the herb is known as a medicine or as an obscure complement to things other than crumble).
4) It's bit dry on its own but custard, ice cream, single cream, or any drink, make it easy to consume.
5) It may be hard to supply at outstations due the the worldwide distribution of rhubarb production.
6) It has a relatively long shelf life as it is a hygroscopic entity like honey.
a) Rhubarb triangle has EU protected status
b) The UK rhubarb originates from Russia, but it may have come from China before that.
c) The Opium Wars in China were about trade in rhubarb and tea as well as opium.
d) UK cultivation started about the same time as our Chinese supplies were coming under pressure.
e) At one point the Yorkshire triangle produced 90% of world rhubarb.

Rhubarb crumble is one of my top foods of all time. If it was available on flights or in lounges it might actually have a significant impact on my travel plans. It's like Hobbits and mushrooms. Come on BA, don't be shy of showing the world what the UK can offer
Old Jun 19, 19, 12:09 pm

Another plus about ice cream desserts is that simpler flavors are more enjoyable at altitude.

Search this Thread