Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

18 June Ď19 BA 263 [LHR - RUH] diverted to KWI

Old Jun 18, 19, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Location: usually somewhere between 30000 and 40000 feet...but actually the English countryside
Programs: BA GGL CCR/Lifetime Gold, EK Gold, Lowly M&M, Starriott PPE, Hhonors Diamond, numerous others

So having left LHR to RUH (eventually) some 4 hours late (electrical and deplaned) as we approach RUH we are told we are diverting to KWI on FCO advice. Obviously crew out of hours etc.
Many disgruntled and tired pax and not much advice about status.
Currently in lounge pondering next move! Just wondering what the FCO advice is about Riyadh as canít see anything on news etc.
Old Jun 19, 19, 12:02 am

Programs: BEAC
Could it be due to this, there was a similar recent activity which did include the airport I think?:
gulfnews.com/world/gulf/yemen/riyadh-intercepts-two-more-al-houthi-drones-1.64682148

The aircraft you are using is due to fly me to JFK tomorrow (20th) and is already showing an unknown delay, so I'm interested to hear how things progress for you. I currently cannot see any next scheduled hops for you or the aircraft on from KWI.

Good luck!
Old Jun 19, 19, 1:12 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
FCO advice . most recently updated yesterday

Since coalition military action began in Yemen, missiles, unmanned aerial systems (drones) and water borne IEDs (WBIED) have periodically been launched into Saudi Arabia from Yemen, targeting critical national infrastructure, particularly aviation interests. Most of these have been intercepted and destroyed by Saudi air defence systems but there have been a small number of casualties and 3 fatalities. Facilities in Najran, Asir and Jazan provinces are likely to continue to be targeted but attacks may be made on other locations in Saudi Arabia too, including Riyadh and Jeddah, and over the Red Sea. On 12 June 2019, Abha International Airport was hit by a missile which resulted in twenty-six civilians being injured. On 14 June 2019 there were further drone attacks on Abha International Airport. There have been 6 intercepted missile attacks over Riyadh since the first missile attack on 4 November 2017, the most recent on 24 June 2018.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/saudi-arabia
Old Jun 19, 19, 1:13 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

"FCO Advice" - a great way of avoiding EC261 payments. The fact you were already 4 hours late will be ignored.
Old Jun 19, 19, 1:46 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
"FCO Advice" - a great way of avoiding EC261 payments. The fact you were already 4 hours late will be ignored.
It would be monumentally stupid of BA to explicitly reference the FCO if it was nothing other than an EC261 get-out ruse. I donít share your overweening cynicism.
Old Jun 19, 19, 3:20 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by krispy84 View Post
It would be monumentally stupid of BA to explicitly reference the FCO if it was nothing other than an EC261 get-out ruse. I don’t share your overweening cynicism.
I have no doubt the diversion was caused due to the FCO advice. What I'm saying is that BA will decline all EC261 claims using it as an excuse, even though it was already 4 hours late.
stewaran likes this.
Old Jun 19, 19, 8:15 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
I have no doubt the diversion was caused due to the FCO advice. What I'm saying is that BA will decline all EC261 claims using it as an excuse, even though it was already 4 hours late.
Is an airline legally obligated to pay out EC261 compensation in these circumstances?
Old Jun 19, 19, 8:49 am

Programs: BA (LTG), Miles&More (whatever the lowest level is), Oyster card (zones 1-2)
It's difficult to see how foreign office advice that somewhere is unsafe to land can remotely be circumstances within BA's control.
Old Jun 19, 19, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by ScruttonStreet View Post
It's difficult to see how foreign office advice that somewhere is unsafe to land can remotely be circumstances within BA's control.
Nobody is alleging that it is.

Now, about the pre-existing 4hr delay, maybe itís linked, maybe it isnít.

But if it isnít linked and isnít extraordinary, then there is a case to be made for compensation.
Old Jun 19, 19, 9:40 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AA EXP, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, AmEx Cent, Misc Hotel Bling, Moms love me
Originally Posted by krispy84 View Post
It would be monumentally stupid of BA to explicitly reference the FCO if it was nothing other than an EC261 get-out ruse. I donít share your overweening cynicism.
In addition to the Drone/Yemen issue the issue of the accusations against MBS vis-a-vis Kashoggi and the allegations from the Guardian may also have factored in.