Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

IAG signs LOI for 200 737MAX - some for BA LGW

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IAG signs LOI for 200 737MAX - some for BA LGW

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2019, 5:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by 1010101
Must have been given a fantastic price.

But as others have said, possibly poor judgement. If another one crashes people will actively avoid the MAX even more than they already will, and IAG seems to want to operate every aircraft type going. It can hardly be cost effective.
That ‘fantastic price’ is exactly the reason it is cost effective for them. There is sufficient economy of scale across the whole group.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 6:54 am

Programs: BAEC
The Times newspaper

I can only assume BA comms/management enjoy and thrive off negative headlines...

[removal of content protected by copyright/owned by another without the owner's consent]

Last edited by Prospero; Jun 19, 2019 at 7:15 am Reason: To comply with rule 9
Old Jun 19, 2019, 7:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
I can only assume BA comms/management enjoy and thrive off negative headlines...
And that's why IAG got them for a huge discount.

Swallow the negative news, wait until the aircraft is recertified as safe, cross their fingers and in a few years hope the reputation has improved.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 9:14 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
This was well hashed out on the Air Canada forum, as AC operated a number of Max`s, but the conclusion is that the different engine location in the Max produces inherent instability during certain regions of flight. Thus the need for MCAS to overcome some of this instability, but as we saw, the software is halfbaked and produced fatal results.

I suppose in many ways it`s something like the B2 bomber that needs the computers to fly it, but I`m not sure that is desirable in a civilian aircraft, where there are ways to develop a stable aircraft that can be flown by humans without computer assist if needed. Boeing was just too cheap to do it and threw together the Max design to try and compete with Airbus. None of which give me warm fuzzy feelings about flying on one again. I have flow on AC`s Max, and the narrow seats are noticeable.I`m not a large person, and after an hour I was ready to get off after being squashed in the seat.
lhrpete and David_Doyle like this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 9:26 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
I've always avoided 737s for the last 25+ years when I had a choice for comfort level reasons and having flown a few times on AC 737MAX sectors before the crashes I'd already made up my mind to continue that personal travel policy. Fortunately there are lots of options still
Old Jun 19, 2019, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by Trent900
The NEO is sold out for years. Boeing can delivery earlier.
I'm not sure about that. Other airlines confirming orders of neos at Paris are giving 2023 as delivery dates, eg. Atlantic Airways who I doubt have the clout of IAG. Yes, Airbus has something like seven years worth of orders for the neos but it appears they have gaps in production from 2023 onwards.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by PrimaVista

Call me an old cynic, but don’t you find it a sly & deliberate move on the part of IAG to refer to these aircraft as B737-8s and B737-10s, with not one single mention of the fact they are MAXs..?

Julie Johnson interviewed Boeing's CFO on Monday with the resulting headline "Boeing Says It's Open to Changing the name of Grounded 737 Max Jet".
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ed-737-max-jet

WW has clearly been doing a lot of talking with Boeing recently, it was also announced on Monday that Boeing will now be supplying A320 parts for BA which is a first and, on the face of it, seems pretty weird. I don't get how Boeing can store and supply Airbus parts cheaper than BA buying direct from Airbus and storing them themselves but clearly they can. Perhaps IAG are at the forefront of the MAX re-branding as part of the latest deals.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 10:39 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, SkyMiles Gold, Mucci deux fois
Rather unfortunate timing.

Meanwhile, over in Washington DC and Congress today...

Old Jun 19, 2019, 11:11 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by Schind
Julie Johnson interviewed Boeing's CFO on Monday with the resulting headline "Boeing Says It's Open to Changing the name of Grounded 737 Max Jet".
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ed-737-max-jet

WW has clearly been doing a lot of talking with Boeing recently, it was also announced on Monday that Boeing will now be supplying A320 parts for BA which is a first and, on the face of it, seems pretty weird. I don't get how Boeing can store and supply Airbus parts cheaper than BA buying direct from Airbus and storing them themselves but clearly they can. Perhaps IAG are at the forefront of the MAX re-branding as part of the latest deals.
How on earth are Boeing even able to supply A320 parts?
Old Jun 19, 2019, 11:40 am
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
Originally Posted by Schind
I'm not sure about that. Other airlines confirming orders of neos at Paris are giving 2023 as delivery dates, eg. Atlantic Airways who I doubt have the clout of IAG. Yes, Airbus has something like seven years worth of orders for the neos but it appears they have gaps in production from 2023 onwards.
They can speed up production lines to meet demand....

Air Asia just converted 253 Orders to A321... one would assume that frees up some space on a separate production line?
T8191 likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 11:41 am

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Diamond; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Originally Posted by Tiger_lily

How on earth are Boeing even able to supply A320 parts?
Buying directly from subcontractors?
T8191 likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 1:36 pm

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
What worries me is Boeing and their lobbyist trying to deflect blame into the pilots. Errors happen tragic those this is, but I have far higher confidence in those that can be honest about the mistakes and learn from them. I fear Boeing thinks their only mistake is getting caught.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 1:42 pm
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by amt

They can speed up production lines to meet demand....

Air Asia just converted 253 Orders to A321... one would assume that frees up some space on a separate production line?
Aen't the A319 / A320 / A321 all built on the same production line(s) though? So simply converting one of the series type to another frees up zero nett space?
Old Jun 19, 2019, 2:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
The MCAS software on the 7M8 was put there, initially without telling the airlines to combat a design flaw.

Updated software or not, I'm not flying on a plane that is of flawed design no matter who says it's safe and I'll find another way to make my journeys.

After the introduction of the 787 and the fires and the crashes of the 7M8 I won't be on the 779 any time soon either.

If it's a Boeing, I'm not going!
Tiger_lily likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 2:29 pm
cwl
Accor Contributor BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/Gold, Flying Blue Silver, All Accor Gold, Hilton Honours Diamond,
Originally Posted by BOH
Aen't the A319 / A320 / A321 all built on the same production line(s) though? So simply converting one of the series type to another frees up zero nett space?
I believe Airbus concentrates assembly of different sub types at different facilities:

Toulouse principally assembles the A320

Hamburg principally assembles the A321

Mobile A320 & A321

Tianjin A319, A320 & A321

So a move to A321 from A320 frees up assembly space at Toulouse and vice versa. Although this is probably overly simplistic as sub assemblies come from various manufacturing facilities and third party manufacturers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.