Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

IAG signs LOI for 200 737MAX - some for BA LGW

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IAG signs LOI for 200 737MAX - some for BA LGW

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2019, 1:56 pm

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
If the papers want to spin this story it could be another PR disaster for BA due to the timing of this.
Yes, this is an interesting point and makes you wonder what the BA comms team said when they were told about the LOI. BA's NPS appears to have finally started to recover from being dragged through the mud over the last few years but a few Daily Mail headlines stating "BA agrees to buy POTENTIALLY UNSAFE Boeing 737 Max WEEKS after fatal crash" will undo that fairly quickly.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 2:02 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Yes, this is an interesting point and makes you wonder what the BA comms team said when they were told about the LOI. BA's NPS appears to have finally started to recover from being dragged through the mud over the last few years but a few Daily Mail headlines stating "BA agrees to buy POTENTIALLY UNSAFE Boeing 737 Max WEEKS after fatal crash" will undo that fairly quickly.
Exactly what I thought when I saw the tweet at the top of this thread. The DM would be first to run this type of spin, certainly if it makes the rounds first on the blogs and causes a stir.

BA orders unsafe aircraft for bargain prices as no one will buy

Oh the fun of creating a headline. BA should use FT for testing their comms first
Old Jun 18, 2019, 2:08 pm

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk

Exactly what I thought when I saw the tweet at the top of this thread. The DM would be first to run this type of spin, certainly if it makes the rounds first on the blogs and causes a stir.

BA orders unsafe aircraft for bargain prices as no one will buy

Oh the fun of creating a headline. BA should use FT for testing their comms first
They've already printed it - https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-MAX-jets.html

Comments do not make pretty reading for BA given Daily Mail readers are BA's core audience in a way.
orbitmic and rockflyertalk like this.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 2:18 pm

They've already printed it - https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-MAX-jets.html

Comments do not make pretty reading for BA given Daily Mail readers are BA's core audience in a way.
Well there you go, I wonder if the DM journalists are FT BAEC regulars...in which case you should be compensated for your headline and story suggestion

The comments are quite, well clear what people make of this decision, include this thread and you wonder if Willie has lost his mind or being very clever with negotiating tactics for getting new aircraft, if the latter maybe he should negotiate Brexit!
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc

Totally predictable. DM even chose a photo of WW looking rather unpleasantly smug for maximum effect!
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 2:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Sky News just showed a clip of Steve Gunning BA CFO. When being asked about the safety of the 737 this body language is awful. He says it's "an issue for boeing" and shrugged his shoulder. He didn't come across well!

Needs a media training refresh I think.

Personally I think, by 2022/23 when we see these planes, everyone but avgeeks will have forgetten all about the issue.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 2:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold life/ GGL and U2 plus
The 737 Max will be one of the " great" commercal aircraft of our times , it has had problems like many new aeroplains , but once it is signed of by the FAA I would be more than happy to fly in it again . It opens the possibilities of direct North Atlantic services to provincal airports like BFS and GLA and numerous new destinations from LGW , I look forwards to seeing
Old Jun 18, 2019, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by milkyway88
Sky News just showed a clip of Steve Gunning BA CFO. When being asked about the safety of the 737 this body language is awful. He says it's "an issue for boeing" and shrugged his shoulder. He didn't come across well!

Needs a media training refresh I think.

Personally I think, by 2022/23 when we see these planes, everyone but avgeeks will have forgetten all about the issue.
Edited for correctness
Old Jun 18, 2019, 2:30 pm

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by 47Aitken
The 737 Max will be one of the " great" commercal aircraft of our times , it has had problems like many new aeroplains , but once it is signed of by the FAA I would be more than happy to fly in it again . It opens the possibilities of direct North Atlantic services to provincal airports like BFS and GLA and numerous new destinations from LGW , I look forwards to seeing
I thought that the FAA had handed over the safety inspections to the manufacturers. The aviation equivalent of marking your own homework.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Independent version. Much less dramatic than the Daily Mail, but still hardly something that will reassure passengers.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-a8963886.html
Old Jun 18, 2019, 2:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by our_kid
Airbus totally surpassed Boeing IMHO - the A320/1 NEOs are lovely and as for the A350 well it is in a different class.
Not in CE - there aren't any tables!
Old Jun 18, 2019, 2:45 pm

The BBC version of this story

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48682123

Old Jun 18, 2019, 3:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
Originally Posted by HIDDY
If BA pilots are happy to fly it then I will as well.
Agree. It is interesting how panic has flared on the announcement on this news considering they haven't taken or will take delivery for some time yet. Walsh is heavily biased towards the 737 considering he used to fly them during his pilot days at Aer Lingus and I am sure I remember him saying in an after dinner speech not long ago it is highly undervalued.

We need to also bear in mind there is a blanket worldwide grounding of the MAX by aviation authorities until it can be proved airworthy. Also I am sure the T&C's of the sale has a get out clause of some sort.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 3:41 pm
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
I don't trust Boeing and I don't trust the FAA.

This aircraft needs a full ground-up airworthiness certification by the EASA - completely independent of the FAA - before it's allowed to operate in European airspace again.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 3:48 pm
lsi

Some of the comments are great value. Particularly like this one: "Th should be ashamed of themselves, they should be buying British planes and I don't care how much the cost."

BA to hoover up old Avro RJs from the second hand market? Get some old Tridents recommissioned, somehow? A re-engined Bristol Brabazon, perhaps?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.