Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

IAG signs LOI for 200 737MAX - some for BA LGW

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IAG signs LOI for 200 737MAX - some for BA LGW

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2019, 12:40 pm

Programs: EC Blue, EB Silver, FB Gold
Why on earth did they order the flying version of Jocelyn Wildenstein?
IntVic, skipness1E and Edina like this.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 12:42 pm

If the delivery schedule holds, that’s almost one a week being added to IAG’s LCC fleets for four years - this could seriously rival Ryanair and EasyJet. I wouldn’t be surprised if they all end up at Level, delivered to their spec, and Vueling just fades away by the time these get delivered.

If/when Norwegian collapses then I suppose this allows them to recruit from a wider pool of pilots etc.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 12:44 pm

Programs: Gold at BA, Hilton and Radisson.
Surprised by this announcement, as are most people I assume.

It does take a lot to dissuade me from doing something I enjoy such as flying, but, I do think the 737-MAX will do it. A very peculiar time to announce indeed.
jplondon likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 12:53 pm

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
Probably they were buy 1 get 2 for free or something!
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by Dilettante
If/when Norwegian collapses then I suppose this allows them to recruit from a wider pool of pilots etc.
I doubt that was part of the decision making.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I have no doubt that Mr Walsh and IAG got a wonderful price for this -- and as many of us know, sometimes, you just get what you pay for. I have some confidence in regulatory authorities albeit impaired by the experience of Max version 1. I have very little such trust in either BA or Boeing, Don't take me wrong, I do not think for a moment that either company would willingly endanger the lives of passengers, but I do believe that their sometimes desperate profit focus (out of habit for BA, out of need for Boeing after the current crisis) presents an inherent risk of clouding their judgement.

I genuinely can't say now whether I'd fly the Max in a few years or not. It will depend on what happens between now and then. However, leaving aside any potential risk of the plane being unsafe at the time it flies, I do think that the MAX is less comfortable by design than its chief competitor (which BA has already managed to make pretty ghastly for the back half of the plane) and I also believe that the choice made by IAG present significant risks of delays which would leave BA either needing to reconsider growth plans out of sheer lack of frames, or in a position where it would be desperate for an urgent supply of frames which would likely be either sub-optimal and/or to be purchased out of some outrageous price. Finally, at this stage, there is a very minor but non-null risk that if Boeing's planned changes to the Max project prove incompletely successful (for instance with an issue on any of the tests), the manufacturer might still decide to abandon the project altogether and design a new short haul aircraft entirely.

Altogether, both in terms of the actual outcome and of what I believe to have been the decision making process, Mr Walsh's decision is probably best characterized as more or less perfectly O'Leary-esque.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 1:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Dilettante
If the delivery schedule holds, that’s almost one a week being added to IAG’s LCC fleets for four years - this could seriously rival Ryanair and EasyJet. I wouldn’t be surprised if they all end up at Level, delivered to their spec, and Vueling just fades away by the time these get delivered.

I wonder if secondary to price, the other plan behind getting some 737's was being able to poach other airline's pilots. How attractive is swapping to BA for the large pool 737 qualified Ryanair pilots?

Last edited by milkyway88; Jun 18, 2019 at 1:56 pm Reason: typo
Old Jun 18, 2019, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by milkyway88
I wonder if secondary to price, the other plan between getting some 737's was being able to poach other airline's pilots. How attractive is swapping to BA for the large pool 737 qualified Ryanair pilots?
I would think most would go immediately if they were offered the chance
Old Jun 18, 2019, 1:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold, FB Ivory (no more AF), Accor Plat, VS Silver, HH Gold
Originally Posted by NickB
I would have thought that if it were more than two, this would kill off the 737 MAX for good so the issue would simply not arise as the aircraft would never be delivered.
And this is the point; IAG takes advantage of Boeing’s need to get a statement of faith in the MAX programme. If the issues are unresolved, IAG will simply never firm the order nor take delivery. It’s a free option.
PrimaVista likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 1:25 pm

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by milkyway88
I wonder if secondary to price, the other plan between getting some 737's was being able to poach other airline's pilots. How attractive is swapping to BA for the large pool 737 qualified Ryanair pilots?
That’s like out of the frying pan and into the fire it seems
Old Jun 18, 2019, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Marcusm
And this is the point; IAG takes advantage of Boeing’s need to get a statement of faith in the MAX programme. If the issues are unresolved, IAG will simply never firm the order nor take delivery. It’s a free option.
But the situation that you describe would not make this a free option because airlines order planes for a reason! Either IAG does not need the frames in which case it is not a free option to get so many even for a fraction of the cost, or IAG needs the frames, in which case the situation that you present means that IAG might find themselves without the frames that it needs and facing much more unfavourable conditions to find an emergency replacement solution.
no2blues likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 1:34 pm

Programs: BAEC
Will Walsh be Head of IAG when this order needs to be confirmed?

I hope not. As usual it’s shareholder short termism from Willie.

I’m mixed on this, however let’s all remember and respect that many peoples lives were lost due to a faulty aircraft, that in 2019 just isn’t acceptable. Yes tragic accidents happen. But 2 within a short space of time is extremely worrying for any organisation and deep questions need to be asked and truthful answers found.

I think that the general public will be fully aware of what aircraft or company is involved, what with the vast, constant media we are subjected to or partake in now (FB, Twitter, here FT etc), ...sure life will carry on and people will continue to be attracted to low fares but don’t treat your customers with contempt or as fools, just as BA have done with their constant cost focus strategy.

If the papers want to spin this story it could be another PR disaster for BA due to the timing of this.

All in all its a bit odd. However, makes for a interesting thread.

IAMORGAN and orbitmic like this.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 1:45 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
Will Walsh be Head of IAG when this order needs to be confirmed?

I hope not. As usual it’s shareholder short termism from Willie.

I’m mixed on this, however let’s all remember and respect that many peoples lives were lost due to a faulty aircraft, that in 2019 just isn’t acceptable. Yes tragic accidents happen. But 2 within a short space of time is extremely worrying for any organisation and deep questions need to be asked and truthful answers found.

I think that the general public will be fully aware of what aircraft or company is involved, what with the vast, constant media we are subjected to or partake in now (FB, Twitter, here FT etc), ...sure life will carry on and people will continue to be attracted to low fares but don’t treat your customers with contempt or as fools, just as BA have done with their constant cost focus strategy.

If the papers want to spin this story it could be another PR disaster for BA due to the timing of this.

All in all its a bit odd. However, makes for a interesting thread.

Completely agree. Another totally ‘tone deaf’ decision from Madrid. I like to think I’m normally a fairly rational person, but this decision to my mind sends Boeing a message that their conduct is acceptable. Regardless of the investigation findings, their approach on this has been wide of the mark & I don’t think IAG should be encouraging such behaviours.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 1:48 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
Assuming there are no more fatalities and don't think there will be a public issue by the point of delivery. At that time a large part of the Ryanair fleet will be Max's.

IMHO I think most will go to Level/Vueling as IAG tries to build there own easyjet/ryanair. Releasing their newer A32x frames to BA IB & Aerlingus. BA don't seem to like to give LGW new equipment and I don't see them starting now.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 1:51 pm

Programs: Some
Just having a quick browse through the IAG 2018 Annual Report - as at December IAG had 128 A320 options (in addition to 71 firm orders for A320s and 21 for A321s pending future delivery up to 2023).

My hope now is that this is just a negotiating tactic to get Airbus to lower the price on those options / convince Boeing to lower the price on future 777x orders, but we'll see.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.