Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

IAG signs LOI for 200 737MAX - some for BA LGW

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IAG signs LOI for 200 737MAX - some for BA LGW

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2019, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by 47Aitken
It opens the possibilities of direct North Atlantic services to provincal airports like BFS and GLA
Operated by who? BA? I would doubt it.
IAMORGAN likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 3:59 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by lsi
Some of the comments are great value. Particularly like this one: "Th should be ashamed of themselves, they should be buying British planes and I don't care how much the cost."

BA to hoover up old Avro RJs from the second hand market? Get some old Tridents recommissioned, somehow? A re-engined Bristol Brabazon, perhaps?
" are these still grounded? I flew on a 737 Max 800 yesterday with norwegian"
Flying Yazata, wrp96, lsi and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 4:24 pm

Programs: BAEC - Silver | Hilton Honors - Gold
Originally Posted by lsi

BA to hoover up old Avro RJs from the second hand market? Get some old Tridents recommissioned, somehow? A re-engined Bristol Brabazon, perhaps?
I can hear it now “will I get a club suite or CW in the Brabazon”

With a capacity of 100, would make boarding slightly easier
lsi and nancypants like this.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 8:52 pm

Honestly I suspect that this deal is to turn one of the two LLC's in IAG into a power house, and with level experimenting with low cost long haul I would predict most of the aircraft would be for Vueling, and the 737 does have advantages for a LLC over the a320. More plentiful pilots with less options as a320 pilots move up into a330 and a350 with minimal training while a 737 pilot has no such options, and is easier to service at the absolute bottom of the barrel airports where it can have baggage loaded manually and people loading through the in built stairs. Then if someone like IAG went up to Boeing to discuss a deal they were probably given a really competitive price and then were told that if they could get a respectable full service carrier they owned to also fly them they could get a even better deal so they added probably 10-20 airframes to go to BA at London Gatwick, so that technically BA is flying 737 Max's, and while BA pr and management are probably not very happy with the deal I doubt WW cares as BA is only a part of a much bigger operation.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Trent900
I thought BA didn't do containerised baggage at LGW?
Right! There's no cargo containers. Only you put a bags on the conveyer belt into the aircraft. They can unload and loading into the aircraft.

Originally Posted by David_Doyle
The 737 MAX makes concerns about battery issues on the 787 years ago seem like mere trivialities.

It's a warmed over design with cost avoidance at its now tragic core. It does not appeal to me though I am sure that IAG got a good deal on them.

Boeing - and the FAA - have some serious work to do to rebuild confidence in their respective organisations.
It take a time to fixed the software. Hopefully they will put back in the air later this year.

As for 787, yes they grounding the 787 for more than 6 months. All 787 is being fixed and they already review from FAA.

Originally Posted by Yllanes
They have also announced the purchase of 8 A321XLR for Iberia and 6 for Aer Lingus, to be delivered from 2023.
Nice! I'm glad they orders the A321XLR for IB and EI, too.

Originally Posted by Irreverent Medusa
I don't care how great an aircraft WW believes the 737MAX to be, I'm not getting on one and that's that...
Who cares? There's nothing wrong with the entire aircraft. Hopefully they will put back in the air later this year. Right now, they have to be fixed. If they has been resolved it. FAA will have an approved soon. They should be done investigating.

Originally Posted by AlanA
no, I successfully avoided flying an any DC10 aircraft, the original flying coffin
I haven't flown on DC10 yet! I never been on it before.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 10:59 pm
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
Originally Posted by Lgwfan
Many will see this as IAG penny pinching reaching new levels, it's cheap so we'll have them.
The analysts over at the FT is quoting/speculating 11billion on a list price of 24.

I agree with you, one of main reasons I choose to fly legacy or mainline over budget carriers is a focus on safety vs. cost, particularly as the market heads into recession and budget airlines HAVE to find corners to cut, to stem cash out flow.

Problem is the cost cutting is addictive, you have to keep pressuring your staff to find more ways to slice fractions off the bottom line or make it look like they have... sooner or later someone makes a bad decision, that won’t show immediate effect, but someone makes another, and another and things begin to slip by the wayside, start to get overlooked, safety issues previously double checked get missed and then checked every other time, qualified staff leave and aren’t replaced immediately, coverage is spread thin, paperwork just gets signed off just this once, then it starts happening regularly.

And then circumstances combine to produce critical failure and a plane blows up in the sky.
stephenjc likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 12:15 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, SkyMiles Gold, Mucci deux fois

Call me an old cynic, but don’t you find it a sly & deliberate move on the part of IAG to refer to these aircraft as B737-8s and B737-10s, with not one single mention of the fact they are MAXs..?

gordon0808 and no2blues like this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 1:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by PrimaVista
...but don’t you find it a sly & deliberate move....
Yes, ‘tis a hard nosed business.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 1:58 am

Somehow this announcement brings to mind the old saw that “the bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten”.
PrimaVista likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 2:06 am

Programs: BAEC - Silver | Hilton Honors - Gold
While I do think the current company concern about the Max is warranted. This will eventually be alleviated with the new updates and testing.

There has been many examples in history of new aircraft have fatal accidents (DC-10 sprinkling the Midwest with cargo doors) Also BA to this day fly the 747 which as we know has had quite a few accidents in its history.

IAG have made a smart choice for the long run, this aircraft will be one of the safest aircraft in the sky but Boeing will need to go on the PR offensive to win pax confidence back.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 2:13 am

Programs: BA Silver
Definitely disappointed from the perspective that this is could be seen as rewarding behaviour that is downright dangerous from Boeing.

From a personal standpoint, if these planes do end up with BA @ Gatwick, I will start taking the train up to Scotland instead of flying. I've no interest in flying them given the current safety issues, but also from a passenger comfort perspective I prefer the A320 so it is a definite downgrade.
PrimaVista and streetmagix like this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 3:03 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Eeewww. MAX issues aside, the 737 is an inferior experience as a passenger. Very disappointing
It's hard to imagine an inferior experience to the current BA Y offering.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 3:07 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Concorde crashed pretty phenomenally, yet many hark on complaining it should have returned to service once the necessary changes were made.

Well, if Boeing make the necessary changes to the 737-MAX, surely they deserve a similar chance.

M
Old Jun 19, 2019, 3:15 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Concorde crashed pretty phenomenally, yet many hark on complaining it should have returned to service once the necessary changes were made.
It did return to service...
Old Jun 19, 2019, 3:26 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, Flying Blue Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
It did return to service...
I think that's his point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.