Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

IAG signs LOI for 200 737MAX - some for BA LGW

IAG signs LOI for 200 737MAX - some for BA LGW

Old May 20, 22, 4:29 am

Programs: BAEC Silver IHG Diamond Ambassador Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TedToToe View Post
You know that CIHY will not be able to reveal their source. My take on it would be, the initial 25 737-8200 and 25 737-10 go to Vueling. Then, older (CFM) A320s leave the VY fleet and newer (IAE2500) get redistributed. Beyond that, in terms of the options, IAG has always said that the Max could go to any of the airlines within the group.
Why is that? I'm new to flyertalk.
Old May 20, 22, 5:04 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Jeedos View Post
Why is that? I'm new to flyertalk.
If you use the main website rather than the mobile version, it becomes clear from his sig. that CIHY was a company insider and is probably still more in than out, if you get my drift. So he's answered already, and that should be good enough.
Jimmie76, skiaplg, KARFA and 2 others like this.
Old May 20, 22, 5:59 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I have heard 737-8200s to VY, 737-MAX10s to BA Euroflyer.
Old May 20, 22, 6:30 am

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
Are any of the Max's capable of transatlantic? It seems odd that not all will be the same dense configuration. I wondered if they want some narrow body transatlantic capability in the mix.
Old May 20, 22, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by Dan72 View Post
Are any of the Max's capable of transatlantic? It seems odd that not all will be the same dense configuration. I wondered if they want some narrow body transatlantic capability in the mix.
Capable theoretically. Practically, probably not.
Dan72 likes this.
Old May 20, 22, 7:50 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: OW Sapphire (BA), *A Gold (A3), Le Club Accor Gold, HHonor Diamond
Yes.
Delivery flight from Everett to Western Europe are done in one hop. Of course those are empty of passengers and cargo. But before its demise, Norwegian long haul were operating UK to East coast US with 737 Max planes.
The _Banking_Scot and Dan72 like this.
Old May 20, 22, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis

Hi

I think air Canada has used some max 8s on Halifax or St John's to Heathrow in the summer ( and Westjet might do similar) but suspect that these will be around the limit ( and not sure if the iag maxes will have the same potential range)

Regards
Tbs
Dan72 likes this.
Old May 20, 22, 1:44 pm
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
The quiet part comes from the new engines (same on the A32N), the bins will be similar too. That was all part of the max/neo refresh....
Different engines though from BA's A32N. The MAX has only one engine option (CFM) whilst the A32N has two - the CFM and also the PW 1000GTF. BA have the PW powered variant I believe.
Old May 20, 22, 1:57 pm

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
Originally Posted by BOH View Post
I have unwitting;y flown on a Ryanair MAX twice now since January, Very roomy, massive OH bins and ultra quiet.
Yes, a modern aircraft.

Good news they’re investing in fleet. This romanticism about old types is ridiculous. Fly in Club if you want more space 😳
BOH likes this.
Old May 20, 22, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by BOH;[url=tel:34266774
34266774[/url]]Different engines though from BA's A32N. The MAX has only one engine option (CFM) whilst the A32N has two - the CFM and also the PW 1000GTF. BA have the PW powered variant I believe.
Close, BA have CFM A320neos, Vueling have PW 320neos, the BA A320ceos are IAE engines.
Old May 20, 22, 6:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
Given that LGW short haul needed yet another cut in staffing costs to justify it's continued existence as it had been lossmaking (again), why would removing economies from scale and adding a whole new type to their cost base make any sense, especially given a good business case would need to be made to get these from IAG at all? It baffles me but I am often confused! Now 100+ to refleet Vueling makes sense but in BA, the max would be an orphan fleet.
Perhaps that's the plan, 3rd party out the maintenance rather than train up in house staff?
Old May 21, 22, 12:19 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by skipness1E View Post
Given that LGW short haul needed yet another cut in staffing costs to justify it's continued existence as it had been lossmaking (again), why would removing economies from scale and adding a whole new type to their cost base make any sense, especially given a good business case would need to be made to get these from IAG at all? It baffles me but I am often confused! Now 100+ to refleet Vueling makes sense but in BA, the max would be an orphan fleet.
Perhaps that's the plan, 3rd party out the maintenance rather than train up in house staff?
Nail on head! Probably no coincidence that Boeing are opening a TPM base at LGW. It's that shiny new hangar at the North end of the West facing runway.
Old May 21, 22, 12:43 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by skipness1E View Post
A 737 sub fleet at LGW would be big enough. Especially if bought for very cheep (possibility even including maintance by Boeing at their facility at LGW), add in 15% or so fuel saving compared to a A32x ceo with the possibility of a few extra passengers per frame and it is easy to see how it stacks up for a LowCost (operation) unit.
Going forward, it would then be easier to keep Boeing and Airbus honest as both types are operated.
Old May 21, 22, 2:10 am

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
Originally Posted by Akoz View Post
A 737 sub fleet at LGW would be big enough. Especially if bought for very cheep (possibility even including maintance by Boeing at their facility at LGW), add in 15% or so fuel saving compared to a A32x ceo with the possibility of a few extra passengers per frame and it is easy to see how it stacks up for a LowCost (operation) unit.
Going forward, it would then be easier to keep Boeing and Airbus honest as both types are operated.
Agree. Why would you not want to both ‘keep them honest’ and have a modern fuel efficient fleet.

Small margins in this game.
Old May 21, 22, 5:27 am

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
Originally Posted by Will100 View Post
Agree. Why would you not want to both ‘keep them honest’ and have a modern fuel efficient fleet.

Small margins in this game.
Because the margins are tiny and "cheaper than list price" still has to have a business case. All flight deck would be Boeing in an Airbus dominated fleet. I totally agree with the idea, it works well for Delta and American but they have genuine economies of scale, as do IAG, but IMHO, BA doesn't and they'd be on BA's balance sheet. We'll see what happens.

Search this Thread