Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What level status must you be for free upgrades?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What level status must you be for free upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2019, 7:33 am

3 years gold and silver for a fee before that.

1 upgrade WTP to CW when gold and I suspect that was because I had my silver husband with me.

Thats it in at least 50 flights.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 9:32 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
I've had upgrades when Blue, Silver and Gold (never Bronze but never spent much time at Bronze).

I think there's a fairly sophisticated process behind it as far as I can tell. And rightly so. These things are part of the commercial 'secret sauce' of revenue management and a fair degree of thought goes into the process I believe.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 9:35 am
formerly JackDann

I got one upgrade from WT to WTP when I was blue. Done about 10 flights as Bronze and 20 at Silver and never got anything since.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 9:50 am

Programs: Executive Club - Gold, HH - Gold, Marriott - Gold
Live from CW somewhere over the Atlantic en route to MCO....

I had a T fare I believe worth 20TP for this flight and was upgraded when I online checked in to WTP. That’s the first time I have ever had an upgrade and I am currently Gold. I took advantage of the £400 CW upgrade though so I didn’t even get to use my free upgrade!

I hope that I may get another upgrade on the way back for free.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 9:59 am
dsf

Programs: Nowt of note.
6-8 WTP to CW back in 2007 as a silver, and a solitary ET to CE in the same year. In the subsequent years I went up to gold, back down to blue, then back up to gold which I've had since 2016 - and throughout that whole time I've had one upgrade, a QR J to F.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 10:09 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
With promotional fares, the chance of upgrade is %0. I have never been upgraded since today, even traveling in a mediumish-higher fare bucket ( H, K, M, etc... ).

The OP should be glad that BA offers free exit row seating for Bronze and Silver during OLCI for long haul flights.
Understand that is your experience but it is simply not true in generality, like I said I get upgraded more often than not from CW to F, WTP to CW, WT to CW, WT to WTP.... I certainly don't expect it but it really does happen.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 1:24 pm

Programs: Gold at BA, Hilton and Radisson.
Upgrades are based on flight loads, not status 99.99% of the time. Status helps with your position in the list of people to upgrade should a cabin be overbooked, but simply being Silver, Gold or even a Prem does not mean "You are due an upgrade".

I suspect a primary a reason people who have told us they receive frequent upgrades to club on JFK-LHR is due to booking W on a Super Hi-J 747, which BA oversell.
Cymro and Dicksbits like this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 1:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by magnagraecia
I’m Bronze, almost silver, so only lowly. I’ve never been upgraded for free, nor do I expect it of course.

However, what sort of level do you have to be to get free upgrades? Or is it more luck?
Lowly means nothing. I've been Gold for 4-5 years and only been upgraded once, as part of a BA holiday (in advance to Club Europe for the rtn from KRK), so not sure that even counts! Strikes me from my friends that GGL status goes a long way....
Old Jun 20, 2019, 1:45 pm

Programs: BAEC - Silver | Hilton Honors - Gold
I have been silver for just over a year and in that time been upgraded to J 3 times. 2 long haul and 1 Domestic.

That being said, I recent travelled for work as a group. 2 of the group being blue where upgraded to WTP and I was left in Y.

Like others say, it’s a combination of status, empty seats and fares. However, expectation can lead to disappointment, so best to be prepared to be underwhelmed at all times, especially with BA
Old Jun 20, 2019, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by magnagraecia
I’m Bronze, almost silver, so only lowly. I’ve never been upgraded for free, nor do I expect it of course.

However, what sort of level do you have to be to get free upgrades? Or is it more luck?
You don't need status to get upgraded, just a good expense account!
Old Jun 20, 2019, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
I have learned to never check loads. It just isn't worth the feeling of disappointment when your cabin appears oversold and yet you still don't hear the magic beep.

Obviously the algorithm has surmised that they won't really extract much additional revenue from me. But at the same time, it seems to be missing the fact that there are going to be several ex-Golds who abandoned BA because of the stingy upgrade policy. There will be many who defend how it works, but a Gold becoming aware that a Silver or Blue was upgraded instead of them is definitely not going to engender a feeling of loyalty...
Jed likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 6:27 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
One on BA as a OWE with no BA status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.