Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade using Avios

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2019, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Upgrade using Avios

Hello there,

Was wondering if some of you experts could help regarding upgrading using Avios.

In the past, I have found particularly cheap flights in WT using Google Flights (let's say £600 return for two passengers). I have used Reward Flight Finder to match up availability in WT+. However, when I have used the upgrade using Avios facility on the BA website, it charges £1200. It doesn't appear to aknowledge the cheaper flights and then perform the upgrade.

Do you need to book the flights first and then upgrade using the online system (manage your booking)? This would be more difficult for me as I would be flying first from a regional airport (I don't think you can upgrade due to this reason)?

Any help on this matter would be appreciated. It just never seems to be good value for money and I'm looking for a bit of a deal to use my 150,000 Avios.

Thank you in advance.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 7:55 am

That functionality doesn't seem to work unfortunately !

To upgrade to WT+ you need to NOT be booked in fare class G, O or Q. You can see this by clicking the flight number during booking

Once booked you can in theory upgrade online but it never works for me so you'll need to call in. Do it immediately just in case the seats have gone, then you can cancel under the cooling off 24hr period if required

If it is offering a too low fare class you can check the price for N class at ITA matrix by entering f bc=N in the "extension" code boxes under advanced options

The easiest way to book then is to book it online and then call and have them correct it to N for the fare difference (within 24hrs) and they can do the upgrade

No problem leaving the regional flights in economy as flights are upgraded sector by sector

In theory you can book with a OTA in your exec club home country and have it upgraded by BA (if its cheaper) but there can be issues with the TA giving you a "private " fare so best avoided. If you are finding it cheaper you could invoke the best price guarantee

lastly, in my experience rarely is WT-WT+ good value- if at all possible go for WT+ - CW which is a much better use of avios!
Old Jun 17, 2019, 7:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by shnprst
Hello there,

Was wondering if some of you experts could help regarding upgrading using Avios.

In the past, I have found particularly cheap flights in WT using Google Flights (let's say £600 return for two passengers). I have used Reward Flight Finder to match up availability in WT+. However, when I have used the upgrade using Avios facility on the BA website, it charges £1200. It doesn't appear to aknowledge the cheaper flights and then perform the upgrade.

Do you need to book the flights first and then upgrade using the online system (manage your booking)? This would be more difficult for me as I would be flying first from a regional airport (I don't think you can upgrade due to this reason)?

Any help on this matter would be appreciated. It just never seems to be good value for money and I'm looking for a bit of a deal to use my 150,000 Avios.

Thank you in advance.
There are definitely issues (dual inventory fares I believe is the term) trying to buy WT+ and upgrade to CW -- for WT+ to CW you have to buy first and then upgrade after (usually by calling) or you'll get massively overcharged. I've never upgraded WT to WT+, but maybe it's the same issue?

Should be no issues upgrading even with the regional airport, assuming all flights are on BA and/or the ticket is booked directly with BA?

You'll probably have to call. Upgrading using Manage My Booking has not once worked for me in about a dozen WT+ --> CW (or occasionally ET --> CE) upgrades over the past few years.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by taxicabnumber
You'll probably have to call. Upgrading using Manage My Booking has not once worked for me in about a dozen WT+ --> CW (or occasionally ET --> CE) upgrades over the past few years.
I'd be genuinely interested to hear of anyone that has got it to work since about 2012 it wouldn't even work on a simple ET-CE LHR-Istanbul recently!
Old Jun 17, 2019, 8:02 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by sammyg901
I'd be genuinely interested to hear of anyone that has got it to work since about 2012 it wouldn't even work on a simple ET-CE LHR-Istanbul recently!
I had to call up for a LHR-TXL ET-CE recently. Interestingly the fees reduced from £13 online to £10 over the phone.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by sammyg901
What's frustrating is that you can get to the end screen, where it's told you the amount of Avios required for the upgrade plus the additional £, and you enter a credit card...and then...nothing. This doesn't seem terribly hard to fix, but given BA's IT...

Has to be costing them at least a bit of revenue, though. I know there have been a couple times where I wanted to upgrade ET --> CE, couldn't do it online, and figured the upgrade wasn't important enough to me to spend time on the phone so stuck with my exit row in Y. I can't be the only one...
Old Jun 17, 2019, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the help guys I am going to have to delve into this a bit deeper using your suggestions.

Something that confuses me is when upgrading from WT to WT+ is that the number of Avios remains constant (as it should) but the amount you need to pay extra, is constant. Why is this? Flights on the BA website are all different prices based on the time of day, demand etc. It seems to charge you a flat fee.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by shnprst
Thanks for the help guys I am going to have to delve into this a bit deeper using your suggestions.

Something that confuses me is when upgrading from WT to WT+ is that the number of Avios remains constant (as it should) but the amount you need to pay extra, is constant. Why is this? Flights on the BA website are all different prices based on the time of day, demand etc. It seems to charge you a flat fee.
The cash component that you pay when you upgrade is taxes and the [increase in] carrier-imposed scamsurcharge. This is a flat-ish amount (varies by cabin, general region of destination -- e.g. North America, Asia, etc.). It can vary, but when it changes it'll change for all applicable routes at the same time. For example, a few months back BA increased the fuel surcharge for bookings ex-USA, which increased the co-pay required for all redemptions departing the USA -- by the same amount.

Last edited by taxicabnumber; Jun 17, 2019 at 9:01 am
Old Jun 17, 2019, 8:14 am

Programs: KLM FB Gold, LH M&M
So for Upgrade Using Avios (UUA) from WT+ to CW, you have to:
(i) Book the WT+ fare using cash
(ii) Phone up and ask how many Avios it will be for UUA from WT+ to CW. Is there a way that a customer can make a rough estimate of the likely UUA cost prior to phoning?

This sounds a very time-consuming process for both BA and the customer. Why don't they just fix the web site?
Old Jun 17, 2019, 8:14 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
The extra TFC paid when going from WT to WT+ is the extra APD if the flight departs from the UK. Usually all other components on the TFC (including the carrier surcharge) are the same.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 8:37 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mikem004
Is there a way that a customer can make a rough estimate of the likely UUA cost prior to phoning?
Yes, just price up the same booking on ba.com (or itamatrix) as a normal cash booking in WT+ and then CW. Compare the figures for taxes/fees/charges for both, the extra cash for the UuA should be more or less the same,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.