FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Cheapest Club Europe routes (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1974367-cheapest-club-europe-routes.html)

flight125 Jun 17, 2019 7:37 am

Cheapest Club Europe routes

Looking to do a Club Europe trip (my first time, ridiculously) with a friend - could be anything from a day trip to one or two nights depending on the fare.

Our main aim is to be able to take advantage of lounge access and try out the service ‘up front’. If it’s a wide body aircraft, even better!

Tier points are only a secondary concern (I’m BA blue with 100TP this year).

Any suggestions on what routes would be best to investigate?

Smid Jun 17, 2019 7:44 am

LUX usually has fares for £160 return, and a nice place to visit for a weekend. Flys from T3, which is nicer than T5 because of the CX lounge.

rockflyertalk Jun 17, 2019 7:47 am

Madrid has the widebody aircraft if you want to try Club World on a short haul flight.

For cheap fares try: Luxembourg, Bordeaux or Amsterdam.

thebigben Jun 17, 2019 8:13 am

LGW-AMS, LHR-LUX, LHR-MAN spring to mind :)

NickB Jun 17, 2019 8:45 am

Originally Posted by thebigben (Post 31211037)
LGW-AMS, LHR-LUX, LHR-MAN spring to mind :)

The downside with these services, if the aim is also to experience the service upfront, is that they are very short so little time to experience it. Of the longer CE services, LHR-SOF was comparatively very cheap last I looked at it.

Smid Jun 17, 2019 8:48 am

Originally Posted by NickB (Post 31211134)
The downside with these services, if the aim is also to experience the service upfront, is that they are very short so little time to experience it. Of the longer CE services, LHR-SOF was comparatively very cheap last I looked at it.

Downside of this one is it being an 08:25 flight, once per day, which isn't wonderful for those who like to fly at civilised times. I looked when I saw the ex-SOF to SIN QR flights, and that was the reason I binned that trip...

KARFA Jun 17, 2019 8:49 am

One easy way I find of checking is using the cheapest fares finder on the ba app as you can scroll through all the routes to check prices.

pauldb Jun 17, 2019 8:54 am

If you are willing to use some avios (and find availability; also a problem on cheap fares) then any of the band 1 routes look good value. Off peak 15,500 avios + £50, or about 8,000+£130 avios&money (or about 3,000+£180 if you have an active IB+ account or some Amex points to activate it).

Some longer options such as MIL, NCE, MRS, BIO, GOA, SZG, MUC, PRG. Prague and Marseille go from T3 which has better lounges than T5.

NickB Jun 17, 2019 8:55 am

Originally Posted by Smid (Post 31211142)
Downside of this one is it being an 08:25 flight, once per day, which isn't wonderful for those who like to fly at civilised times. I looked when I saw the ex-SOF to SIN QR flights, and that was the reason I binned that trip...

That's true. There is an afternoon flight on Saturdays but only during the winter season so of no help to the OP at the moment.

Truthmonkey Jun 17, 2019 10:08 am

Cheapest one day I can find for LON-SOF in CE is 5-6 October 2019 £288

krispy84 Jun 17, 2019 10:58 am

Bordeaux from LGW has some very good CE fares. With the added advantage of spending a couple of days in Bordeaux rather than Sofia 😁

TPJ Jun 17, 2019 11:17 am

But the mediocre lounge in SOF is not as mediocre as the lounge in BOD:p

Caerbannog Jun 17, 2019 11:33 am

My vote goes to Barcelona. Not too expensive; choice of flight time a long enough flight to enjoy the experience. Reasonable lounge for the return flight (unlike Bordeaux for example); good train to the city if you want to stay for a day or two.

nufnuf77 Jun 17, 2019 11:41 am

Originally Posted by Caerbannog (Post 31211783)
My vote goes to Barcelona. Not too expensive; choice of flight time a long enough flight to enjoy the experience. Reasonable lounge for the return flight (unlike Bordeaux for example); good train to the city if you want to stay for a day or two.

it’s band 2 shorthaul catering though! I would say go for budapest

orbitmic Jun 17, 2019 12:05 pm

exactly. If you just choose the cheapest you can get just to "try it", to be honest, you'll mostly be wasting your money and not get much in return. If you really want to spend to get a nice experience, then go for it properly for not much more, for instance, wait for a sale and book MAD with outbound on IB and return on BA choosing their respective long haul planes. Or alternatively book C on an airline which will give you a lot more like TK to IST using their long haul planes. If you just do LUX or AMS for the sake of it you will likely be disappointed.