Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Earning BA tier points on domestic LATAM Peru

Old Jun 17, 19, 4:41 am
Original Poster

Hello FTers,

Does a domestic LATAM Peru flight between Lima and Cusco earn BA tier points? The chart on BA.com would seem to suggest the domestic restriction has now been lifted, but I thought I'd double check as if not, I will just use Avios instead of cash.

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...-avios/flights

Thanks!
Old Jun 17, 19, 7:11 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
I can only say that when I looked into it the cash prices were rather high ( not sure if they make it difficult for foreigners to buy non full fare flights or something) , but was an amazing bargain on Avios as availability was excellent and taxes were very little so even if it did earn tier points I don't think it would be worth it .. I've earned Avios on domestic LAN flights in other countries, but haven't tried in Peru.
Old Jun 17, 19, 8:55 am

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
Doesn't it depend on the fare class? Cheap domestic tickets in Peru do not earn Avios/TP. We did four domestic flights in Peru last year, and none of those earned anything (in O, G and N fare classes)
Old Jun 17, 19, 11:22 am

Programs: BA Silver
I flew two domestic flights in Peru, Lima - Cusco return booked with Avios (a great bargain vs. cash fares) in late 2016 and received Tier Points. 25 per sector, plus a handful of Avios. Obviously not supposed to happen, and I don't know how common an occurrence that is.
Old Jun 19, 19, 7:24 am
Original Poster

Choices are:

1. 2 x low cost economy at £73 + £13 baggage and probably no tier points = £172
2. 1 x Avios redemption at 6000 Avios + £9.10, plus 1 x full Y ticket at £118 inc two bags (hopefully earning tier points) = £127
3. 2 x Avios redemption = 12000 Avios + £18.20

Most of my tier points are earned through work travel, so I'm going to book option 2 and regard the £109 difference as the cost of (hopefully) earning Silver this year. Thanks all.
Old Jun 19, 19, 7:26 am

I would recommend an Avios booking if you are after ancillary benefits. Ahem.
Old Jun 19, 19, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Virazuno View Post
I would recommend an Avios booking if you are after ancillary benefits. Ahem.
What did you have in mind?!
Old Jun 19, 19, 7:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
I would assume what is referred to in musehead's post above ! ... I do not recall this happening for me , but can't check as it was > 3 years ago

Based on other recent experiences with LAN I wouldn't be looking to guarantee too much on anything posting from their systems - seems a bit erratic most of the time !
Old Jun 19, 19, 8:04 am

Programs: Newbie BA Gold
Hello this is perfect timing as I was just looking at this yesterday as well! I only looked at cash fares and just realised from above that could use avios rewards as well. But I'm not sure its worth it? These are the options I found (one way, including one check in luggage):

1) LATAM cash - ~£110
2) Sky or Avianca - ~£45
3) LATAM reward - 6000 avios + £9

Given that Sky/Avianca is so cheap by cash, is it worth booking LATAM with avios? Assuming 1 avios = 1p, LATAM still costs more than the others. I'm not sure I see the benefits of LATAM on such a short flight? Do we get a meal/better service? Any thoughts much appreciated. I need to get three tickets if it makes any difference.

Last edited by benjai; Jun 19, 19 at 8:16 am
Old Jun 19, 19, 9:38 am

I did Lima-Cusco two weeks ago and received 5 TP and 91 Avios as BA Silver.

I won’t spend them all at once.
Old Jun 19, 19, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Having booked one Avios redemption, MMB now suggests that one checked bag is included. Leaving the tier points as the only reason to book a cash fare over Avios. Based on posts above, I've booked another Avios redemption and will take the risk on them crediting. If they don't, I'm sure Mr Leaky Breaks won't mind a quick European jaunt somewhere later in the year.

The cheapest LATAM price I can find for my dates is £73, so minus the £9.10, I am getting 1.07p per Avios, which I don't think is too bad. Avianca happen to be the same price. I'm a bit paranoid about other carriers and am swimming in Avios so may as well use them.
Old Sep 12, 19, 4:41 am
Original Poster

Update:

Booked one route as an Avios redemption, and booked another two flights as a multi-city through Kiwi.com. The Avios ticket has earned me 25 tier points, one half of the Kiwi ticket has earned me 10, and the other (earlier) flight hasn't posted yet. A little erratic but worked out for me - YMMV.
Old Sep 12, 19, 6:57 am

Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
A word to the wise, LATAM does not use the standard OW booking classes for redemptions.
fruitcage likes this.
Old Sep 12, 19, 8:07 am

Programs: BA Silver
The first and second rules of Flight Club should be applied here...
KARFA likes this.
Old Sep 12, 19, 9:08 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Asia Miles. Not bothering to join Marco Polo.
Originally Posted by leakybreaks View Post
Update:

Booked one route as an Avios redemption, and booked another two flights as a multi-city through Kiwi.com. The Avios ticket has earned me 25 tier points, one half of the Kiwi ticket has earned me 10, and the other (earlier) flight hasn't posted yet. A little erratic but worked out for me - YMMV.
I got the same (ignore the late posting, I tried to credit to JMB first without success)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: