Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

When are you ‘safe’ from being downgraded or bumped from an oversold flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When are you ‘safe’ from being downgraded or bumped from an oversold flight?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2019, 6:15 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by dav662
Gold they will not bump off.
With BA, that's definitely my experience. Other airlines, it depends - as a Star Gold, I was bumped off three times in one year (including TK - as a TK Elite (!) - and TP).
Old Jun 17, 2019, 6:19 am

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
I think strictly speaking you should be safe when your aircraft arrives at your destination. You could have a scenario where your plane goes tech in the early stages of the flight, needs to return the airport and an equipment change triggers a downgrade.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the input all. Dropped bags and paper boarding passes without incident so think we’re reasonably safe now. On to the T3 F lounge crawl...
Old Jun 17, 2019, 6:51 am

Programs: Aadvantage platinum; IHG Spire
Last year I was flying LAX-LHR in CW. WTP was behind me, and some poor couple had been paged to come forward because they were being upgraded - only to find that there'd been a mix up and all the upgrades had already been given! So they had to trudge back to WTP rather dejected.....
Old Jun 17, 2019, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Originally Posted by mario
I think strictly speaking you should be safe when your aircraft arrives at your destination.
Got any stock or investment or betting tips?

Your answer shows if you put our money in it, it must be a Sure Bet.
spaninan likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 8:52 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Originally Posted by mec72
With BA, that's definitely my experience. Other airlines, it depends - as a Star Gold, I was bumped off three times in one year (including TK - as a TK Elite (!) - and TP).

I am surprised that as a Star Gold you got bumped off. Was is a normal fare paying ticket?
Old Jun 17, 2019, 8:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
USA carriers are required to file their IDB priority rules with DOT and publish them, often as part of the CoC. You can check whether having a seat assignment or a boarding pass helps to protect you. In most cases, UMs and passengers with special needs will not be bumped.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 9:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
I saw a lady get upgraded from economy to business on AA. The ground crew boarded just before take off and said, hey, want to cash in an upgrade? She took it. Seemed a strange choice when it was a 23 minute flight from CLT to RDU. I'm assuming she was using a 500m upgrade.

As for downgrade. I haven't noticed it, but definitely people losing assigned seats etc. I have seen.

Most irritating however is on Aeromexico where the pilot comes down and upgrades friends of friends, this after having been told 100 percent no upgrade space available to elites. Oh well, i chose the wrong job
Old Jun 17, 2019, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by dav662
I am surprised that as a Star Gold you got bumped off. Was is a normal fare paying ticket?
Yes, a normal cash ticket in both cases (fairly cheap bucket in Y though). Both TK and TP seemed to be pretty disorganized. With TK, I couldn't check in online so I assumed that I would be upgraded. I arrived at LHR 20 minutes before check-in closed just to be told that all of the seats had already been given away. The agent was apologetic and I got EU 261 compo on the spot (in cash!) and was rebooked onto the next service to IST with an upgrade to J.

On TP, the whole thing made even less sense as most of the passengers on my flight (LCY-LIS) seemed to be point-to-point pax who could easily be reallocated to another flight, whereas I was connecting to Africa which triggered EUR 600 compo. Both airlines seemed to have pretty chaotic systems with a fair degree of manual intervention producing unpredictable outcomes - both times I thought this would never ever happen to me on BA with a cash ticket and status.

Last edited by mec72; Jun 17, 2019 at 10:21 am Reason: Forgot to include the quote...
Old Jun 17, 2019, 12:33 pm

I had two cases of 'downgrading' - neither impacted me.
On the 22nd May I was flying from Bermuda to Gatwick and the plane was changed from 4 class to 3 class. Meaning 14 Business Class were downgraded to WT+
I was with 5 people from the same office. 4 were Bronze/Silver and were downgraded. 2 were Gold (including me) were not bumped.

On the 14th June, I was travelling back from Boston to Heathrow on the 21:40 flight. When I checked in, they asked whether I wanted to delay my flight, so I said no and they said no worries (in American). When I was on the plane, I was in WT+ for this trip and the person in the seat next to me had been downgraded from Club to WT+ - I asked and he was Silver.

So for me, if you're Silver or below, you are at risk, but Gold they don't seem as likely to bump/downgrade you.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by stuvoi
I had two cases of 'downgrading' - neither impacted me.
On the 22nd May I was flying from Bermuda to Gatwick and the plane was changed from 4 class to 3 class. Meaning 14 Business Class were downgraded to WT+
I was with 5 people from the same office. 4 were Bronze/Silver and were downgraded. 2 were Gold (including me) were not bumped.

On the 14th June, I was travelling back from Boston to Heathrow on the 21:40 flight. When I checked in, they asked whether I wanted to delay my flight, so I said no and they said no worries (in American). When I was on the plane, I was in WT+ for this trip and the person in the seat next to me had been downgraded from Club to WT+ - I asked and he was Silver.

So for me, if you're Silver or below, you are at risk, but Gold they don't seem as likely to bump/downgrade you.
I guess the route adds a lot to this. Certain routes like BOS and NYC will be very Gold heavy (so to say). Other routes are less heavy on status pax and therefore Silver may weigh more in these cases.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Many many years ago (back when longhaul 767s had just debuted with OCW) I was an almost victim of the equipment swap and downgrade despite being Gold. Some rather vociferous complaining fixed it.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 12:48 pm

It can certainly work both ways, of course. A couple of years ago (as a lowly blue), I benefited from a last-minute swtich out of a low-J for a high-J config. Was thus told due to the increased number of J seats I had been moved from WTP to CW. I of course dread it going the other way, but guess sometimes these things are unavoidable.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 1:11 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by TTmex
It can certainly work both ways, of course. A couple of years ago (as a lowly blue), I benefited from a last-minute swtich out of a low-J for a high-J config. Was thus told due to the increased number of J seats I had been moved from WTP to CW. I of course dread it going the other way, but guess sometimes these things are unavoidable.
I’m sure the real numbers are closely guarded commercial secrets but I would guess that there are probably at least 10 free upgrades for every forced downgrade- possibly 100 or more.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 2:03 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
I was downgraded from PE to Y on PAL recently according to them due to aircraft change. I also complained a lot and since they had business class seats they upgraded me to business class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.