Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Amex who's paying for the avios?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2019, 6:25 am

Programs: Global Mercenary
Originally Posted by BlackBerryAddict
You misread the article. I cannot read the source in Bloomberg, because I don't have a subscription to it, but you've clearly fallen victim to a sensationalist headline. "Selling Miles Can Be Bigger Business for Airlines Than Selling Seats" is total bollocks, if you interpret that as they get more revenue from selling miles than from selling seats. When they say "earnings" they mean "profit", not revenue. Delta expects to earn $ 4 billion in revenue from their Amex partnership in 2021. Their 2018 revenues were $ 44.4 billion. So that's 10%.

Delta pre tax income was $ 5.1 billion. Depending on how you account for the cost of selling miles (or rather providing the services) you could arguably get to a profit near half of the total profit. But that would require some heroic assumptions on the costs.
Thanks for clarifying. I assumed earnings, income and revenue were all the same, while profits were those minus expense.

Airlines typically sell miles to banks at around 1 c/mile and industry typically assumes the costs to airlines of redemptions at around 0.8 c/mile. Under that premise, airline miles account for around 20% of pre tax income, which is still quite impressive when you consider this model didn't exist 20-25 years ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.