Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Choosing between Haneda and Narita in BA First

Old Jun 16, 2019, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC

I've been given the chance to move a Club World booking in December to First, with a choice between Haneda on the 777, or Narita on the 787. Not too bothered about the proximity to Tokyo, as we're travelling pretty light.

Having trouble deciding between the two. It'll be our first ever flight on BA First, is one experience better than the other?
Old Jun 16, 2019, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by ZippyK
I've been given the chance to move a Club World booking in December to First, with a choice between Haneda on the 777, or Narita on the 787. Not too bothered about the proximity to Tokyo, as we're travelling pretty light.

Having trouble deciding between the two. It'll be our first ever flight on BA First, is one experience better than the other?

Hi,

The 787 will be a better experience ( 8 F seats) against 14 F in the 777 ( probably a 777-300 with modern IFE) and the timing for NRT is better IMHO than HND ( HND arrives very early ) but both are not particularly good flights for sleeping given the earlyish departures from LHR

NRT is not too bad to get into tokyo ( Narita express is 53 mins to Tokyo station) also the limosine bus and the Ueno skyliner.

Coming back, NRT has the JAL F and Sakura lounges ( F i think has just been renovated) with a second F lounge in the satellite terminal ( just over a 5 min walk from the main terminal). Cathay J/F lounge ( poor) American airlines J lounge ( pretty good ) and Qantas (good)

HND has the JAL F lounge ( very good but might be under renovation in Dec) and the Cathay J/F lounge ( pretty good) but an early flight ( 0850/0950 depending on season)

Regards

TBS

Last edited by The _Banking_Scot; Jun 16, 2019 at 3:59 pm
Old Jun 16, 2019, 7:32 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Coming back, NRT has the JAL F and Sakura lounges ( F i think has just been renovated).
I can confirm that JAL F lounge at NRT has indeed been renovated. They've removed the buffet and made it to-order only though (not table service, it's order at the counter).

Wasn't BA going to be removing F from NRT soon though?
Old Jun 16, 2019, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the swift reply, much appreciated. I thought the Dreamliner would be more pleasant, plus the 13.50 departure means a touch more time in the Concorde Room, without waking up at a silly hour.

Do you have a seat preference? I'd love 1A+K or 2A+K, but these are currently blocked. Reserved 2E and 2F for the missus and I for now, or would it be better to book 2A and 2E and keep fingers crossed that 1A opens up?
Old Jun 16, 2019, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I can confirm that JAL F lounge at NRT has indeed been renovated. They've removed the buffet and made it to-order only though (not table service, it's order at the counter).

Hi,

Good catch ! I think though it is from Jun 20 so Dec 19 when the op is going should still be the 787-9

Tokyo NRT downgraded to 787-8

Regards

TBS

Last edited by The _Banking_Scot; Jun 16, 2019 at 7:41 am
Old Jun 16, 2019, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the swift reply, much appreciated. I thought the Dreamliner would be more pleasant, plus the 13.50 departure means a touch more time in the Concorde Room, without waking up at a silly hour.

Do you have a seat preference? I'd love 1A+K or 2A+K, but these are currently blocked. Reserved 2E and 2F for the missus and I for now, or would it be better to book 2A and 2E and keep fingers crossed that 1A opens up?
Hi,

I do like the window seats esp when approaching NRT ( bear in mind that on the dreamliner the electronic controls do not make the windows completley dark and once I woke up and removed my eyeshades the sun was a dark blue colour through the tinted windows.
I had 2E once to toronto and it was fine but as a window person prefer the windows.

Remember that the 787 F does not have buddy dining.

Regards

TBS
Old Jun 16, 2019, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

I do like the window seats esp when approaching NRT ( bear in mind that on the dreamliner the electronic controls do not make the windows completley dark and once I woke up and removed my eyeshades the sun was a dark blue colour through the tinted windows.
I had 2E once to toronto and it was fine but as a window person prefer the windows.

Remember that the 787 F does not have buddy dining.

Regards

TBS
The lack of buddy dining is disappointing, but I'm sure we'll manage. Especially as we'll be together 24/7 in Japan. Might just reserve 2A and E, and if 1A doesn't open up, switch to 2E/F
Old Jun 16, 2019, 8:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
I'm flying F to NRT on Wednesday, I picked it when booking because of the 787. At the time I wasn't aware how far out Narita was, but the train Trailfinders suggest we take after we've landed (and got our rail pass etc) should mean we get to our hotel once check in has begun.

It's worth noting that 1AK is reserved for Golds until T-72 where they will be released if not already taken.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 8:33 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR - TK G
Aren't you able to try both? One way 777 and the other 787?
Buddy dining on the day flight..?
Old Jun 16, 2019, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by S_W_S
I'm flying F to NRT on Wednesday, I picked it when booking because of the 787. At the time I wasn't aware how far out Narita was, but the train Trailfinders suggest we take after we've landed (and got our rail pass etc) should mean we get to our hotel once check in has begun.

It's worth noting that 1AK is reserved for Golds until T-72 where they will be released if not already taken.
I love the 787, had a great experience in WTP+ just last week, especially with super friendly cabin crew. Narita is further, but the express train should soften the blow, and timing is better for check in.

I'm just a lowly Silver at the moment, but will keep an eye on the seat map closer to the time. In any case, 2 A and E seem like.a convenient enough combo for a bit of conversation during the flight, then passing out.

Thanks to all for all the help so far.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 8:37 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia

only some flights, my Dec was moved to HND as nrt lost F but my Feb is still Narita in f
Old Jun 16, 2019, 8:47 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador
I've done LHR-NRT on the 787-9 and HND-LHR on the 777-300, both in 2EF. I much preferred the 787-9 with it's smaller cabin and more modern feel. Heading into Tokyo from NRT was easy enough on the Narita Express and dropped us at the door of the hotel at Shinagawa.

As a couple, we enjoyed having the middle pair of seats although having 2A & 2E means that one will have a window obviously and you'll have the same crew member serving you so slightly easier to coordinate eating at the same time.

Last edited by Crofton138; Jun 16, 2019 at 9:50 am
Old Jun 16, 2019, 8:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
I love the 787, had a great experience in WTP+ just last week, especially with super friendly cabin crew. Narita is further, but the express train should soften the blow, and timing is better for check in.

I'm just a lowly Silver at the moment, but will keep an eye on the seat map closer to the time. In any case, 2 A and E seem like.a convenient enough combo for a bit of conversation during the flight, then passing out.

Thanks to all for all the help so far.
Likewise, the 787 is my all time top plane in terms of miles flown!
Sounds like they should be good seats, we've got 1A & 2A selected for next week and the return.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 8:51 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Sixt Platinum, HHons Diamond
We flew out to HND a couple of days ago in F and will return in F from NRT in a week. Outbound we very much enjoyed the buddy dining. The crew were great. The only low point was that the LP GS ran out after the first round of drinks and the other fizz loaded was not what was listed on the wine menu; Lanson Rose instead of LP Rose, Wiston NV instead of Gusbourne Vintage. Canard Duchene was offered instead of LP GS. All in all very poor that all substitutes were much cheaper.

Quite intrigued to see how the NRT flight compares.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nufnuf77

only some flights, my Dec was moved to HND as nrt lost F but my Feb is still Narita in f
How odd, we're flying on the 12th, and First was available. I guess they must just be dropping certain dates.

Vinotraveller, I can't believe they substituted Canard Duchene for LP GS! I suppose it could be a consequence of the larger first cabin on the 777.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.