Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Steam from air con?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2019, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lewis King
About to depart from Split and the plane is actually steaming from the top of the baggage racks/above the windows. Never seen this before. I think it’s the aircon... but can’t be sure? Anyone know what it is? Cabin crew don’t seem too fussed 😂
Keep an eye out window and you might see "steam" flowing across the top of the wings.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 10:05 am

Programs: BAEC | qantas | IHG | Hilton Honors | Priority Pass | Nandos
Originally Posted by fruitcage
As a piece of meta-pedantry, water vapour is the same thing as steam, and is invisible. What can be seen is indeed the water droplets, but is certainly not water vapour.
Indeed. The warmer air gets, the more water vapour it can hold. If it's holding a lot of it and is then cooled until it can't hold any more (the dew point), then the vapour will start to condense into water droplets and can look like fog (or clouds).

It's the same reason that you sometimes see condensation on the top of aircraft wings. As the air passes over the wing, its pressure reduces and so does the temperature - if the temperature goes below the dew point, then condensation will occur.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 10:10 am

I was on an Air Vietnam TU 134A from Ho Chi Minh to Bangkok almost 30 years ago. When the engines throttled up so much condensation came out of the a/c that I couldn't see across the aisle. God knows what it was like in the cockpit. I can't remember much from 30 years ago but that flight sticks in my memory. It was a year after this and we landed in a thunderstorm.

Last edited by SteveF; Jun 16, 2019 at 10:26 am
Old Jun 16, 2019, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC - Lowly blue
Originally Posted by MNMAA
Yep, Caribbean too. As mentioned above, you see it in hot and humid locations.
Odd. I’ve been to the Caribbean and Asia a bunch and never noticed it before and usually I’m pretty observant!
Old Jun 16, 2019, 1:31 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
I see this all the time when boarding flights in Cancun and other humid places. Actually find it rather refreshing.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC - Lowly blue
Originally Posted by TTmex
I see this all the time when boarding flights in Cancun and other humid places. Actually find it rather refreshing.
I thought for a second it was BA trying to be all trendy like those bars that spray you under their umbrellas/canopies 😂
TTmex likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 2:08 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
I;ve seen it bigly this year a couple of times, especially leaving Austin a few weeks ago, but also here in Boston. Much more foggy than ever before. Both on B6, FWIW
Old Jun 16, 2019, 2:27 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Lewis King

I thought for a second it was BA trying to be all trendy like those bars that spray you under their umbrellas/canopies 😂
Haha. I doubt BA are that sophisticated
Old Jun 16, 2019, 6:17 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
This was on UA but I had snow flurries coming out one time. Europe in the summer. FA’s came by and said it happens all the time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.