Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AUH-LHR Sector Just Cancelled, Options?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2019, 6:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Silver
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Only if the one hour before / two hours after rule applies, which I don't think is the case here, certainly not the 2 hour aspect.
If the OP needs to leave their home/hotel more than one hour earlier to get to DXB, would that bring it into scope for EC261? Or, does the regulation (as interpreted by the courts) only consider the departure time of the flights?
Old Jun 16, 2019, 6:50 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Infinite Possibilities

If the OP needs to leave their home/hotel more than one hour earlier to get to DXB, would that bring it into scope for EC261? Or, does the regulation (as interpreted by the courts) only consider the departure time of the flights?
The regulation isn't totally clear on that one, and there are different views supporting both interpretations. But since the airports are less than an hour apart, and the additional time delta for the traveller is likely to be around an hour too, I can't see this going anywhere. I guess a case could be constructed, but I wouldn't hold out much hope. Indeed this is really the Regulation working in the way it should, giving an incentive to airlines to minimise the impact on passengers.
DazMan and TFFT like this.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 11:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The Regulation speaks to the time of departure and the time of arrival. It does not speak to travel time from physical starting point to the airport.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 1:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold. Flying Blue, Radisson, Accor
That was a Chennai to Heathrow service that got diverted to Istanbul for technical reasons yesterday.

The two Air Belgium aircraft have ended their lease to BA (ABB and ABE) yesterday too, so that timing wasn't good. Maybe they will be back.
They are. BA source says they flew to Toronto today
Old Jun 16, 2019, 2:49 pm

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
Originally Posted by Often1
This is a cancellation, not a delay. Thus, OP will be entitled to EUR 300 (50% of the stated amount) unless the cancellation was for extraordinary circumstances..
I make it:
The OP was informed at less than 7 days, was offered re-routing from DXB, which departs 20 min earlier, and arrives into LHR 15 mins earlier.
Hence, under Article 5 1.c.iii, the airline ticks all 4 elements and hence no right to compensation under Article 7.

Or, shorter version, wot C-W-S said
Old Jun 20, 2019, 2:11 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, *A Silver, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, Karahi Express
BA072 AUH to LHR showing cancelled for Friday 21st and Saturday 22nd June already. I’m due to fly on BA072 on Sunday 23rd June at 01:50. Inbound BA73 on Saturday 22nd is showing as scheduled.

EF shows 9’s across the board for my Sunday flight.

Should i I be worried that it may get cancelled?
Old Jun 20, 2019, 2:17 am

Originally Posted by BAEC
BA072 AUH to LHR showing cancelled for Friday 21st and Saturday 22nd June already. I’m due to fly on BA072 on Sunday 23rd June at 01:50. Inbound BA73 on Saturday 22nd is showing as scheduled.

EF shows 9’s across the board for my Sunday flight.

Should i I be worried that it may get cancelled?
hmmmm....I'm in exactly the same boat then. If it's cancelled you want to share a car to DXB?
Old Jun 20, 2019, 3:05 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, *A Silver, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, Karahi Express
Originally Posted by Dubh
hmmmm....I'm in exactly the same boat then. If it's cancelled you want to share a car to DXB?
Can do .... I’m arriving in from Columbo at 22:00 with checked bags. Will check DXB timings.

Edit: Don’t think I’ll be able to make the 01:30 DXB flight.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 3:13 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA LTG/GFL, Honors Diamond, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Silver
My Careem expense for a car to DXB (Ł75) is in for Monday's AUH LHR, which was cancelled on Sunday this week, and I'll have another one for tomorrow's LHR AUH, as it was is also cancelled a couple of months back.

I await the Ł50 expense cap attempt.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 9:05 am

BA73 23 June LHR AUH cancelled
BA 72 24 June AUH LHR cancelled

Reroutes through DXB being offered. Availability has suddenly dropped as the auto rebook holds a load of availability. So call ASAP if you’re affected to get your preferred reroute. BA has just agreed my careem from Monday 17 AUH DXB, I have yet to submit my DXB AUH from Friday 21 and AUH DXB for Monday 24.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 9:52 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
The regulation isn't totally clear on that one, and there are different views supporting both interpretations. But since the airports are less than an hour apart, and the additional time delta for the traveller is likely to be around an hour too, I can't see this going anywhere. I guess a case could be constructed, but I wouldn't hold out much hope. Indeed this is really the Regulation working in the way it should, giving an incentive to airlines to minimise the impact on passengers.
I do agree that this is the regulations working as intended but worth saying that, even with some of the taxi drivers in UAE, I think AUH > DXB in less than an hour is optimistic, it's ~130km...
Old Jun 28, 2019, 3:52 am

More AUH sectors cancelled:

Flights/Dates affected:
BA73 LHR AUH 02, 03, 05, 06, 07, 08 July 2019
BA72 AUH LHR 03, 04, 06, 07, 08, 09 July 2019

Tickets issued by
27 June 2019

Rebook on BA
Use options from Conditions of Carriage – BA Cancellations

Origin/Destination/Stopover changes
Yes - Rebook onto a British Airways operated service between London (LHR) and Dubai (DXB) or v.v., either up to 3 days before OR 3 days after the original travel date.
Rebook into the same class or lowest available in the same cabin
Advise customer that any consequential costs for the change in gateway will be at their own expense, e.g. taxi, hotel, car hire, public transport. Add a remark into the booking that you have advised the customer.

Refunds Allowed
Yes - as per Conditions of Carriage

Redemptions included
Yes

Important Information
One involuntary ticket change allowed
Adherence to commercial policies/conditions of carriage guidelines remains entirely the responsibility of the user. BA reserves the right to withdraw guidelines at any time
Old Jun 28, 2019, 3:58 am

Advise customer that taxi from new gateway is at own expense. How are intending to get away with that one?
Schwann likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 4:04 am

Advise customer that taxi from new gateway is at own expense. How are intending to get away with that one?
I’ve had 1 careem approved AUH DXB, 2 more submitted for DXB AUH and AUH DXB.

I wasn't going to bother but service on some other flights was lacking so I claimed. As I understand EC261 article 8,3 they can’t.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 5:09 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
That would not be legal under EC261 /2004 Article 8.3. So if anyone is "advised" this they should tell the agent to add "Pax advises this is incorrect under EC Directive 261/2004 Article 8.3"

Having said that, this is a standard cut and paste they have used for years in all such cases. When someone claims, they do actually pay up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.