Wiki Posts
Search

How much extra is Club Europe worth?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2019, 7:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Fatdickie
so about £1.50 per minute. Ouch
ooh - but it is guaranteeing me a window or aisle seat .... on an aeroplane with 2-2 layout thoughout the cabin - that is generous
nancypants and george77300 like this.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
Worth?

Isn't that a subjective question which depends on how much money in real funds and then what those funds mean to you? If it means that your children won't eat, it is not worth the premium. If it is what you spend on lunch out with friends, it is worth it.
Not even close.

If the exit row is in ET then CE is “worth” a negative amount of money to me, I’d pay to get out of there. I’ve twice in the last year had cause to complain to BA for “upgrading” me at the gate from an ET exit row to CE and I couldn’t get my ET seat back.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 9:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
Not even close.

If the exit row is in ET then CE is “worth” a negative amount of money to me, I’d pay to get out of there. I’ve twice in the last year had cause to complain to BA for “upgrading” me at the gate from an ET exit row to CE and I couldn’t get my ET seat back.

I'm with you there. I've been on a few Cityflyer trips ex MAN recently and am perfectly happy with the exit row seats which are significantly superior to the Club offering especially when travelling with a companion. I acknowledge that lounge access might be a consideration for some but I can honestly say that if I was offered an free upgrade I would reject it without hesitation.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 11:11 pm

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
The value comes in being near the front if the plane

Not Sitting in a three

Free food and drink

No BOB

A more enjoyable flight

Value ; if can get for up to double the cheap economy fare

PUCCI GALORE and AnaTravel like this.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 12:36 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
$0, would rather fly Exit Row and have acceptable legroom even with someone in the middle. OWE = priority check in, lounge and boarding anyway. I don't check bags. CE = crappy meal and tighter seat pitch.
rossmacd likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 12:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by allturnleft
The value comes in being near the front if the plane

Not Sitting in a three

Free food and drink

No BOB

A more enjoyable flight

Value ; if can get for up to double the cheap economy fare

You could get an extra seat for less than 50% extra - that is of course if on a flight where there are 3 across rather than 2
Old Jun 16, 2019, 1:21 am

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
You could get an extra seat for less than 50% extra - that is of course if on a flight where there are 3 across rather than 2
but who wants that hassle ; imagine someone trying to sit in that seat !

Early booked CE fares are pretty good

Agree product isn't great but Y...
Old Jun 16, 2019, 1:23 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
It makes a different between whether I can work on a flight or not, without annoying the hell out of someone in the neighbouring seat (and/or the risk of having my screen easily overlooked) so whatever it takes to buy an empty seat next to me
AnaTravel likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 2:02 am

Programs: BAEC (Silver), IHG (Plat Elite)
Originally Posted by magnagraecia
If you had to put a figure on how much extra you'd be willing to pay for CE, what would it be?
Based on my experiences with AppUps, £69.

Data point. I'm Blue, employer pays for my Y seat on my semi-regular GLA - LON flights.

If offered, and it often is, I'll upgrade the home leg, cause I can have a drink and relax in the lounge after work, and food is available. On the outbound, less likely as Its usually an early morning dash to the airport and straight to the office after landing.
My forthcoming holiday TATL will get me to Bronze, then I'll decide if I want to push for Silver. Year end in November.

Beyond £70-80, I'd struggle to justify it.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 2:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Gold
Normally fly Y S/H & J L/H. But needed Tp’s to get silver so flew CE on BA holiday to FNC, paid about £100 extra return. Just as, about to fly to EWR but F from MAN was cheaper than J from LHR so no brainer as MAN is nearer anyway.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 2:18 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
I'm slightly phobic of body contact with strangers, so sitting next to someone (unless a very petite person) is not something I would voluntarily do. As neither theoretical seating blocks nor small people are guaranteed, I'm very happy with CE.

I wouldn't put a maximum price on CE. If it gets too expensive I'd rather not travel. The only times I fly ET is if I absolutely have to (work forcing me, family emergencies).
Old Jun 16, 2019, 2:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by Kgmm77

................................ I’ve twice in the last year had cause to complain to BA for “upgrading” me at the gate from an ET exit row to CE and I couldn’t get my ET seat back.

I can well understand that the quiet sense of satisfaction that comes from having booked a s/h flight in ET and then immediately selecting a favoured Exit row, would indeed be undone by the prospect of it being taken away from you with an offer of much less legroom in, say, row 2 or 3 of CE.

Given your unwelcome experiences, would it perhaps be worth you asking that a permanent note be made in your profile to avoid this happening in future .... ? Would such a note be respected, one wonders .....

rossmacd and AnaTravel like this.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 6:57 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Whilst I understand Kgmm77's annoyance... Flyertalk is the only place in the world where someone would complain about a free upgrade
LCY8737 and EDIwanderer like this.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 7:00 am

Whilst I understand Kgmm77's annoyance... Flyertalk is the only place in the world where someone would complain about a free upgrade
You forget the key fact that many people, myself included, view a move from a Y emergency seat to a non-row 1 CE seat a downgrade
Old Jun 16, 2019, 7:36 am

That’s the point though, from my perspective, it’s a downgrade. Maybe if I was short I’d take a different view, but a meal that costs less than £5 and a free drink isn’t exactly premium.

Don’t get me wrong, this is only related to CE, I’ve never turned down a long haul upgrade and all have been gratefully received (although I did once consider turning down a WT exit row to WTP upgrade).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.