Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Some Newbie Questions before my First time in F!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Some Newbie Questions before my First time in F!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2019, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Question Some Newbie Questions before my First time in F!

Hi all,

long time lurker first time poster thanks for all the advice over the last few years!
I was lucky enough to have a business trip to Singapore and managed to upgrade it to F on the return leg using my Avios and will fly from Singapore to LHR in F on BA12.
I'm currently Bronze but after the trip I will be Silver.

So here are my questions and I would appreciate any help/opinions:
  • I got seat 2A, hoping this is a good choice for a single traveller.
  • Is there any unofficial dress code I should be aware of?
  • Reading up on the forum, I heard that the CCR at Changi is really only good for drinks, and otherwise I should go to the Qantas Lounge for food options?
  • What's with the PJs, do people actually wear them and if so do you go to the restroom to get changed?
  • Anything else I should be on the lookout for to make the most out of the trip/experience?
Many thanks in advance,
JB
Old Jun 15, 2019, 2:40 pm

Reply deleted.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 2:48 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
I will pick a couple of these:
Dress code: you can wear whatever you feel comfortable in. Clearly there is no point dressing up for a potential free upgrade.
The Concorde bar at Changi is not to everyone's taste, but I have enjoyed the peace and quiet there. It is, however, an enclosed box with no windows and the food offering is limited.
Feel free to wear the PJs, probably best not to change in the cabin though.
LTN Phobia and george77300 like this.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Oncewild
I will pick a couple of these:
Dress code: you can wear whatever you feel comfortable in. Clearly there is no point dressing up for a potential free upgrade.
The Concorde bar at Changi is not to everyone's taste, but I have enjoyed the peace and quiet there. It is, however, an enclosed box with no windows and the food offering is limited.
Feel free to wear the PJs, probably best not to change in the cabin though.
Great thanks, excited to see what it's like. Will probably err on the side of slightly smartish but comfy, just to celebrate the occasion.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 3:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

1. There is no "dress code", but even in hot places like Singapore, I typically wear long pants, and a polo shirt
2. That having been said, when it's time to sleep, I change into my gym clothes (I've yet to encounter airline PJs that I liked)
3. Where to change clothes?
-putting your bare feet on the bathroom floor is gross, but slippers help a bit
-I'm personally a fan of changing under my blanket, whenever I can pull this off in a discreet manner
4. I am not a lounge fan, except in the case of delays, and BA F catering is usually decent enough
MrJB likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 3:05 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Greetings and welcome to the BA forum on Flyertalk MrJB, it's good to see you here. If you get the chance, it would be good to have a check of the Forum Dashboard, there is a lot of information there and some of it will be useful for your trip. You could also have a search of "First First" for this forum, for more background information.
MrJB likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 3:47 pm

Programs: BA - Gold, EK - Gold
Whoops sorry. All my answers are inline with the quote. I can’t seem to edit it properly on my phone.

A
Originally Posted by MrJB
Hi all,

long time lurker first time poster thanks for all the advice over the last few years!
I was lucky enough to have a business trip to Singapore and managed to upgrade it to F on the return leg using my Avios and will fly from Singapore to LHR in F on BA12.
I'm currently Bronze but after the trip I will be Silver.

So here are my questions and I would appreciate any help/opinions:
  • I got seat 2A, hoping this is a good choice for a single traveller.
yup it is fine. A better choice than 1 as the space is smaller.
  • Is there any unofficial dress code I should be aware of?
Nope. Otherwise believe me I wouldn’t have been able to sit in F. I am usually in jeans and a t-shirt.
  • Reading up on the forum, I heard that the CCR at Changi is really only good for drinks, and otherwise I should go to the Qantas Lounge for food options?
Yeah the food options are dire. It is all precooked food if I remember correctly. I go to the Qantas lounge - but then the cooked food isn’t that great they usually only have one dish!
  • What's with the PJs, do people actually wear them and if so do you go to the restroom to get changed?

yup I wear them. They are certainly more comfortable than my jeans. However I always wear a t-shirt under the top. I can’t remember whether it is the BA or Qantas PJs that have a scratchy label.

Go to the rest room to change. But change to the slippers before hand! As the bathroom is no different to an economy toilet so it is tiny and you don’t want to be touching the yucky floor!
  • Anything else I should be on the lookout for to make the most out of the trip/experience?

Don’t forget to ask for slippers. They don’t often offer it to you automatically.

Dont forget it is dine on demand. Eat whenever you want - I find it really helps to keep the jet lag under control.

If you want ask for the ladies amenity bag .... it is nicer if you aren’t a man wanting the items.

I find that my carryon fits in the clothing hanger. Saves my lifting it into the overhead locker.

Enjoy your F experience.

Many thanks in advance,
JB
MrJB likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 3:51 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
If you do not have a connecting flight on arrival at LHR it may be worth adding one as a separate booking (departing T5) on the same day to allow you to experience the CCR and book a massage.

Feel free to wear what is comfortable and keep an eye on getting 1A if available at check in.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 4:20 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum Elite, AS MVP Gold 75K, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Agreed with the above on the lounge in Singapore. It was recently renovated and is quite roomy as is, so you may want to spend some time outside the bar area as well.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all for the advice, super useful. The slipper tip in particular.

Originally Posted by madfish
If you do not have a connecting flight on arrival at LHR it may be worth adding one as a separate booking (departing T5) on the same day to allow you to experience the CCR and book a massage.

Feel free to wear what is comfortable and keep an eye on getting 1A if available at check in.
Thanks, I do have an onward flight to DUB actually, but I only have an hour in between. I was not aware that incoming PAX are allowed to use the CCR at LHR if they are connecting on a non first flight. Besides I think I am supposed to arrive at 5:50am so might not be in the best shape to make the most of it anyways.

@corporate wage slave, thank you, I will check the dashboard out.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 6:01 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
I would keep 2A over a switch to 1A as a solo traveller on the 388. 1A is fine, but has a slightly smaller overhead and is next to the loo (albeit with a curtain). Personal preference of course, there aren’t really any bad seats, but 2A/K are my favourites.

Wear what you like, I can promise you that you’ll see all sorts of outfits in F. Most people do change in the bathroom. Pyjamas now come in 3 sizes, and you can mix and match top/bottom sizes, subject to availability.

Since the new soft product was introduced in April, the slippers are offered proactively more often (but not always, depends on the crew), and are loaded to 100%.

You are allowed to use the CCR in T5 if you’ve connected off a BA F flight on the same day. Keep your BP from the SIN flight in case. You might find the SIN flight gets in early and you do have time to hit the CCR. If you do, stay on the upper level after Connections security, and use the CCR door just airside of South FastTrack Security.

As mentioned above, bear in mind the dine on demand in F, for your preferred eat/sleep times. From SIN, my preference is always to stay awake for the first few hours and sleep as close to the UK night time as possible, but YMMV..

Enjoy.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 12:56 am

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Remember SIN is not and humid. For my flight last week
- wore shorts and t shirt to plane. Changed into pjs then fresh clothes for the return
- you may want to shower in the lounge
- lounge is ok, the first bar as it is now know will basically plate up the buffet food onto nice plates nd dish settings. Is ok, but essentially buffet food. There are some fresher options such as the prawns.
- some complain of lack of windows, but as it is late and I usually cannot see anything outside and just want to verge in front of the TV it fits that purpose with the nice couch areas.
- QF lounge is down the corridor has some fresh cook sections, but can get crowded. Also has larger showers.
- you can use premium check in in SIN, it is up the back, but in essence feeds into normal passport control. Last time I walked in then walked out as there was a massive build up. You can sit on couches and drinks are free from the fridge.
- security is at the gate.
- row 2 is a good choice, near the front, away from the bathrooms and slightly larger than row 1
- remember to look at all the other stuff such as dine in demand, and do not be afraid to ask, just tell them it is a first first and they will look after you. Many pax just want to sleep.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 3:04 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Do remember to take something warm for the CCB. It's usually a tad chilly in there (which I like, but some people, including my husband, isn't so keen on that).
Old Jun 16, 2019, 3:17 am

Don't forget to ask for the chocolates on board!
MrJB likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 6:44 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Relax and enjoy it with all the wise advice above!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.