Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Complimentary bag taping

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2019, 8:26 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by endoman
I fail to find any valid reason to leave them in place, am I missing something?
It is the new sign of what a Road Warrior you are !
endoman and nancypants like this.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 4:06 am

Programs: KLM FB Gold, LH M&M
If there are a lot of stickers, this must take up a lot of the baggage staff's time.
So you can't really complain if your bag doesn't make it to the plane on time.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 6:29 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
Seriously, you have routing information on your bags for the last 10 odd flights, how can a handler expect to find out which one is right? Do you lose your luggage regularly?

I get that in the old days, it seemed to be a thing to put stickers of destinations on your (usually 3 feet by 2 feet cardboard) suitcase, for some reason. But leaving old barcodes on luggage is just asking for trouble,
Old Jun 18, 2019, 6:41 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by Calchas
Got other things to do?

My post trip routine:

Unzip bag -> empty content directly into the washing machine -> throw bag back into the cupboard -> resume non-travel activities.

My post-trip routine:

Open bag -> place dirty clothes into dirty clothes store -> check contents of consumbles in the bag, clean up any rubbish in, or on outside of, bag -> put bag away in store -> resume non-travel activities.

It's fairly simple. And my bag doesn't go missing.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 7:17 am

I have a question

Who puts these on? I know when i go to the self check in, i only put on the big label.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by flatlander
It's fairly simple. And my bag doesn't go missing.
Has not. Yet.

Can you not see the flaws in the idea that you've got 10-20 other barcodes going through an automated baggage system, where luggage does go missing for no explained reason sometimes anyway?

I mean, what if they find an earlier LHR-JFK flight, from the one your booking reference is booked, and the system doesn't check the time? While going through a connecting airport?

I'm in software, and we only go so far down the line on the idiot factor on our stuff, like who'd keep a bunch of expired barcodes on their luggage.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 8:23 am

Programs: SPG Plat
Shouldn’t it scan all barcodes and the software only act on the active (current airport / date) one? This seems trivial
Old Jun 18, 2019, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by silverforumsurf
Shouldn’t it scan all barcodes and the software only act on the active (current airport / date) one? This seems trivial
Should Microsoft windows never crash?
T8191 and nancypants like this.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 2:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by AnttiV
I and the Mrs. flew HEL-LHR-HKG in CE/CW last night and when collecting our bag in Hong Kong we noticed someone had placed plain white tape over all the bar code stickers and the First bag tag.
Including the one for the journey you'd just made? You're lucky it arrived in HKG!
Old Jun 18, 2019, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by silverforumsurf
Allow me to quote from the expert up-thread showing it's a bit more complicated than that:

Originally Posted by 13901
If the system sees two bag tag stubs on your bag, and both bag tag numbers are in use (bag tags recycle every 4-7 days depending on the airline and "live" for 2-3 days, again depending on the airline), then the system will be well and truly confused and will dump the bag for someone will look at it.
13901 likes this.

Last edited by flatlander; Jun 18, 2019 at 4:00 pm Reason: typo
Old Jun 18, 2019, 3:11 pm

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
I must have had 30-40 old stickers on an old suitcase and never had a single issue
Old Jun 18, 2019, 8:40 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Smid
Has not. Yet.

Can you not see the flaws in the idea that you've got 10-20 other barcodes going through an automated baggage system, where luggage does go missing for no explained reason sometimes anyway?

I mean, what if they find an earlier LHR-JFK flight, from the one your booking reference is booked, and the system doesn't check the time? While going through a connecting airport?

I'm in software, and we only go so far down the line on the idiot factor on our stuff, like who'd keep a bunch of expired barcodes on their luggage.
Yes, leave it to John Q Public, they will find a way to defeat your system and blame you !
Old Jun 19, 2019, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
I must have had 30-40 old stickers on an old suitcase and never had a single issue
Likewise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.