Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Complimentary bag taping

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2019, 1:09 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

I also had that happen on a CX connection through Hong Kong. When my bag came out in London, my bag was covered in Hong Kong International Airport stickers, which I thought was bizarre...
Old Jun 16, 2019, 1:19 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I think airlines should start denying delayed baggage liabilities when the old stickers are left on. That will encourage people to remove the old ones pronto!

Originally Posted by CaroFos
I still have remnants of a ‘fragile’ sticker on my shiny black case that simply refuses to budge!
If you want to remove it, buy yourself a bottle/can of sticker remover spray. They do work but be very careful and test it on the bottom of the suitcase (where it can't be seen) to make sure it doesn't melt the plastic.

At least, a fragile sticker won't end up causing your bag to miss your flight
awayIgo, wrp96, nancypants and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 2:26 am

Programs: BAEC (Silver), IHG (Plat Elite)
Originally Posted by CaroFos
I still have remnants of a ‘fragile’ sticker on my shiny black case that simply refuses to budge!
WD40 works wonders ! Not just for loosening old rusty nuts and bolts. Allegedly it has over 2000 uses, according to the manufacturers....
Old Jun 16, 2019, 2:46 am

Programs: BA GfL, TK *G+
I’ve just counted over 50 barcode labels on my pelicase. I’ve been told off once a couple of years back, but bag still gets to destination ok.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 5:44 am

I can't quite get my head around this... leaving the bag tags on forever.
Drawing an, admittedly, slightly silly parallel, it's the equivalent of presenting oneself at either security or the gate with a handful of boarding passes from the past 10, 20 or 30 trips.
The current flight is somewhere in there but finding it is a bit of a lottery, will waste more of the staff's time and make everything take longer.
Bag tags are like boarding passes for luggage. Would anyone do this with boarding passes?
awayIgo, T8191, wrp96 and 4 others like this.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 5:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by missdimeaner
Being a little obsessive with details when travelling I always remove previous tags (and the sub stickers that sometimes find their way onto the bags - AA are particularly fond of this).
MsHalls120 is OCD about this - baggage tags and stickers come off as soon as we arrive at our destination.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by where next
I’ve just counted over 50 barcode labels on my pelicase. I’ve been told off once a couple of years back, but bag still gets to destination ok.

and it will continue to get to its destination - until the day it doesn’t!

I agree that if a passenger can’t remove all the bar tags and their luggage goes astray, there should be no compensation.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
An interesting thread! I’ve always removed the label asap without over-thinking “Why?” ... it just seemed inappropriate to have legacy luggage labels stuck to my case. Why would I remove the main bag-tag and leave its little partner in situ?
HMPS likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 9:49 am

I used to rip all mine off as soon as I collect the bag from the conveyor belt, but now tend to leave them on so as not to unduly confuse the customs peeps and take them off landside before leaving the airport.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 10:01 am

Programs: BA Gold
I fail to find any valid reason to leave them in place, am I missing something?
Old Jun 16, 2019, 10:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
I always remove mine once I am back home. The worst though are the security stickers at KCH airport where you have to scan your checked baggage before checkin and the stickers leave a sticky residue that takes forever to disappear...
Old Jun 16, 2019, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver (OWS), OZ Diamond (*G), TK Elite (*G), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Thank you for the very detailed and useful info. I have to start peeling off the stickers more regularly. My reason for having a few of them on the bag was that they really stick to the glossy hard surface of the bag and require significant effort to scratch out and I guess have been lazy.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I find WD40 is good for removing stickers. Spray a bit onto some kitchen / toilet roll and leave it over the sticker to let it soak in for a good few hours.

May take a couple of goes before it all goes and then a rub down with neat washing up liquid removes the residue of both the glue and WD40 and a final wipe with plain water.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 12:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
I just scrape them off. I couldn't care how scratched my bag is. Heck it is regularly dented to hell and I just bash the dents back out. Hartmann 7R Master Spinner. I highly recommend this bag if you're u can still find one.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by endoman
I fail to find any valid reason to leave them in place, am I missing something?
Got other things to do?

My post trip routine:

Unzip bag -> empty content directly into the washing machine -> throw bag back into the cupboard -> resume non-travel activities.

onylon likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.