Wiki Posts
Search

flying with car seat but no baby

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2019, 10:02 am
Original Poster

flying with car seat but no baby

Hi,
I am flying EDI-LHR-DXB in July and I will be almost 7 months pregnant. I live in Dubai and wanted to get my car seat in the UK as it is much cheaper. I am flying Club - but will the car seat (probably in it's box) be one of my pieces of luggage, if I have 2 bags already will I have to pay for it or will the nice check in people let me fly with it for free?
Any experience with this?
thanks.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 10:40 am

Programs: Ba Silver ( for now!)
Buy a big cardboard box. Put the seat in it and pack the rest of your things around it.

The allowable box dimensions are huge ( I take some very strange baggage with boat parts in regularly).

I cant see them letting you check 3 pieces for free.

LTN Phobia and nancypants like this.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 11:09 am
Suspended

Out of curiosity, why are car seats more expensive in the UAE ? Is it taxation or a stronger currency?
Old Jun 15, 2019, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Thank you. Will look into a very large box for my 2nd piece of luggage. The other option is to get it shipped to the UAE from a German store which is only slightly more expensive than buying in the UK.....

In terms of why is it more expensive for a car seat? Nearly everything is more expensive in the UAE - clothes, furniture, shower gel - you name it. I try to buy as much as possible when visiting home and bring it back with me. It's not unheard of for people to bring back bags full of cheese. I usually stick to all the clothes I can pack!
FlyerTalker39574 likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
it will be part of your luggage allowance.

It only becomes additional when you are actually flying with a child that needs to use it.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 8:41 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by richardwft
Out of curiosity, why are car seats more expensive in the UAE ? Is it taxation or a stronger currency?
Who knows. FWIW, my 501 Levis cost 3 times more un Dubai than they do in the USA - that is why I buy them in the USA....
CaroFos likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 11:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I carried four dining chairs to Spain a couple of years ago as part of my luggage allowance.. removed the legs and stacked the seat parts together and they all fitted nicely in a packing box. - I bought a locking strap to go around the box just in case it suffered any damage in transit. Didn’t think to pack other stuff around the gaps!!
Old Jun 15, 2019, 11:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by purplevicki
Thank you. Will look into a very large box for my 2nd piece of luggage. The other option is to get it shipped to the UAE from a German store which is only slightly more expensive than buying in the UK.....
if you have a Big Yellow or Sureguard nearby they’re good for buying individual boxes for about a fiver.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.