Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

URGENT HELP! Anyone travelling GLA or EDI to LGW tonight (Sat 14 June)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

URGENT HELP! Anyone travelling GLA or EDI to LGW tonight (Sat 14 June)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2019, 12:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by zafiragirl
Thanks for your help CaroFos - much appreciated x
I feel your pain - I spend half my life trying to get my nearly 21 year old daughter out of one pickle or another!! :-D
BA6501 likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 1:25 pm

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
Originally Posted by zafiragirl
She says the crew won't be allowed to take any foreign object. I'm currently chatting to a friend who's ground staff at GLA to see if there's anything they could do x
I kind of get that but this is keys not a bag or anything that could be remotely dodgy,

In contrast I left my work phone on a BA Flight in Zimbabwe (granted it was Comair) and the crew took it on the next flight back out and took it back to Joburg airport for me,

Common sense usually prevails but good luck
Silver Fox and wanderingjock like this.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 3:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
While this has worked out or not as the case may be, the better approach here would have been for the daughter to have reached out. An "outsider" has a harder time than someone on the inside who can likely learn who is on the crew, find someone willing to contact the crew for her and then relay contact information to the parent, is going to find better contacts.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 9:24 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Originally Posted by Raffles
Go to Glasgow Central with a sports hold-all filled with old clothes. Add key. Put bag in luggage rack on a train to London. Get off train.

I did this once when I needed something from my parents urgently, with me in Taunton and then in Sheffield!
possibly the worst advice I’ve ever seen on this group. Risks extend to:

1) wasting police time as they attempt to locate the person who planted a suspicious case on a train and got off.

2) being arrested and spending a night in the cells explaining why you did this.

3) having the station and train evacuated

4) controlled explosion

and combinations thereof. I’m sure this was suggested with tongue in cheek but the fact of having actually done it is irresponsible and somewhat beyond belief.
gms, flygirl68, EGW1 and 8 others like this.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 9:58 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by bisonrav

1) wasting police time as they attempt to locate the person who planted a suspicious case on a train and got off.

2) being arrested and spending a night in the cells explaining why you did this.

4) controlled explosion

and combinations thereof. I’m sure this was suggested with tongue in cheek but the fact of having actually done it is irresponsible and somewhat beyond belief.
Don’t be ridiculous. Anyone with half an ounce of wit about them could pull this off without arousing suspicion.
IAMORGAN and masmadrid like this.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 12:24 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Amazed i’m even discussing this, but if I saw someone leaving a bag and buggering off I’d be straight on the phone to the transport police and as far away from the carriage as I could get.

And there is CCTV on trains so it would be attributable. It is a really stupid and irresponsible thing to suggest, let alone do. No one with an ounce of wit would even contemplate it.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 1:02 am

Programs: BAEC Silver

Vigilance

We’re asking rail passengers and people who use railway stations to help keep themselves and others safe by reporting unusual items or activity on the railway.

See It.

Please remain vigilant for anything that seems out of place or unusual on trains or at stations. This could include:
  • Someone being somewhere they shouldn’t be, for example trying to get through a door marked ‘no entry’
  • An unattended bag
  • Someone checking security arrangements, for example filming CCTV cameras at a station
  • Someone avoiding rail staff and police officers
  • Someone who could be concealing something under their clothing.
Say It.
If you see something that doesn’t feel right, we want to hear from you. Let us decide if what you have seen or what you know is important.

You should tell a member of rail staff or a police officer what you have seen. You can also call us on 0800 40 50 40, or text us on 61016.

In an emergency, always call 999.
Sorted.
We will check any information you give us thoroughly. Every day we receive reports about suspicious behaviour or unusual activity from members of the public and we take your information seriously.
youngfogey, bisonrav and flight125 like this.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 2:49 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Raffles
Go to Glasgow Central with a sports hold-all filled with old clothes. Add key. Put bag in luggage rack on a train to London. Get off train.

I did this once when I needed something from my parents urgently, with me in Taunton and then in Sheffield!
How long ago was this? In the new age of tight security and us all being told to report suspicious behaviour, I doubt this would work now. Getting on a train, putting a bag in the luggage rack and then getting off the train is like the #1 way to put the bomb squad on board.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
1993 :-)
Old Jun 16, 2019, 3:27 am

Programs: BA Gold
Not to mention how you plan to get on and off the train once it reaches London to collect it.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 3:31 am

Regarding the train suggestion. I'd be surprised if someone noticed a person boarded, put a bag in the luggage racks and moved through the carriage and then got out of a carriage further down. They would probably get attention if they put it overhead and then walked off, but I never see anyone paying attention at who puts bags at the end and where they then sit.

Now, whether you'd be able to claim that bag easily at the other end I'm not so sure.

Oh and for the record, I think it's an irresponsible thing to do. I just think it would probably go unreported more often than not.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 3:53 am

Programs: BA Silver
Exactly. Lots of chaos in the 10 minutes before departure. Get on at the front end of a carriage, store bag, walk through carriage towards your seat, whoops keep going into the next carriage and get off. No-one is batting an eyelid. Whether or not it’s a good idea, it is fantastical to think that it will result in anything bad happening.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 4:10 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I think the point here is that just because it's possible to do something irresponsible and probably get away with it, it doesn't necessarily justify encouraging other people to do it?
no2blues likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 4:49 am

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
Originally Posted by TGLoyalty
surely someone would notice that and think it’s very fishy these days. Unattended bags and all that.
But then again it's nothing new. The culture of bewareness of unattended luggage has been around in your culture since the Troubles and 80s/70s. I for instance remember very well from the 90s the station announcements regarding lonely bags.

The latest campaign however does IMO amp up this to a level which starts to resemble scaremongering at times, taken how frequent the touting is in its many forms (at least PA and visual advertising). Yes, it certainly is an issue since the terrible events of 07/07, but it just boosts the aims of those monstrous perpetrators - cause public longterm alarm and anxiety.

None the less, I hope the keys made their way to LON. On a final note: transporting the keys of someone can hardly constitute a security hazard. Use some common sense, right? I would be much more concerned, if someone would want me to transport some unknown bottles of liquid or some parcel.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 4:53 am

Programs: BA Exec Blue
Originally Posted by bisonrav

4) controlled explosion

I’m railway staff (formerly train crew) and I agree with the above 100%. I’ve actually heard of things like this happening and the police being called. It’s blatantly suspicious behaviour and anyone reasonable person would be alarmed if they saw it happening.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.