Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA835 - 14/06 - Hard Landing then Go Around

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA835 - 14/06 - Hard Landing then Go Around

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2019, 3:58 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by Misco60
For those who haven't yet memorised... etc., BA835 is, apparently, DUB-LHR.
On a similar note for those who haven't memorised what LAHSO means...…………... it's Land and Hold Short Operations (I think that's right according to Google)

I enjoy these threads, I really do and I'm always grateful for the insights but could we have it layman's speak as not all of us know what the terminology means and I do love to learn such things.

OAO (Over and Out, I just made that one up )

Thanks!

Old Jun 14, 2019, 4:01 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Mike Skyflier
Because like most others I like to think the previous landing has cleared the runway before my landing.
Mind you once I have landed Im always pleased to turn on to the taxiway so that the plane landing after mine wont catch mine up! Dont get me started on flying through low cloud cover just before landing.
Yes I know I need help. Trouble is I have caught gold fever through you lot!😁
I can appreciate that. But bear in mind that it isn’t a regular thing, maybe a few times a day, if that.

Also, on those infrequent occasions, the aircraft still on the runway is actually almost actually off the runway, but not quite fully off the ‘shoulders’ as we call it (I.e. they’ve crossed the white lines on the edge of the runway), and are further down the runway at LHR than the whole length of most other runways, so often when you touch down at other airports the perimeter fence and road is closer to you than the other aircraft still on the runway would be at LHR!

In Low Visibility Operations, we cannot use these different clearances/instructions. In fact, we have to ensure that no vehicle or aircraft is within a certain distance of the runway, to guarantee the integrity of the radio beams (Instrument Landing System) that the aircraft are following. This increased distance is the reason for delays in fog, because we have to provide more spacing between each arriving aircraft to allow for them to vacate the runway and travel that required distance. It’s all very black and white.
Mike Skyflier likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by scottishpoet
this is really interesting. What about aircraft crossing the south runway as you approach ?
In the case of crossing aircraft, we have to wait until they have fully vacated.
LTN Phobia likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by eugegall
Sorry to ask again but any idea how roughly a go around happens after they have physically touched down?
Sorry, missed the earlier one.

it is rare. I couldn’t give a figure to be honest, but it is more likely in times of strong winds.

Given that that our overall go-around rate, for all reasons, is about 0.2%.....you’re talking about a very low percentage of this.
Mike Skyflier and eugegall like this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 5:12 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Heathrow Tower provides an excellent answer. I am a private pilot in South Africa, a country that in many ways operates similarly to the UK (similarly sensibly, generally). I'm not familiar with the "land after" but the 2nd example mentioned is also not used in SA to my knowledge. ATC will never clear an aircraft to land or take off unless the runway is fully vacated. I often train at CPT and regularly get late landing clearances where we sneak in behind a commuter 737 and literally as the tail fin crosses the hold short line receive the clearance. Occasionally it's so late the tower will provide start the instruction providing winds and after touch and go routing (if doing touch and go) first and as he or she finishes those and the aircraft ahead finishes vacating they end their call with the actual landing clearance. Have also had to float down the runway a bit so I could finish my readback before (not an issue on a 3km runway in a 2-seater prop that can land in 300m).

In the US it is SOP to clear multiple arriving aircraft simultaneously in sequence
Old Jun 14, 2019, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
I once had TWO go arounds on the same flight. Avianca from Cartagena back to Bogota. Thankfully he managed to land on the 3rd try.
What is the maximum number of 'tries' possible? I thought that after two go arounds, pilots normally go to the diversion airport (to avoid trying to land the plane at all costs in 'frustration' on the third try)... Sure I read that on here once!
Old Jun 14, 2019, 5:23 pm

Sorry to ask again but any idea how roughly a go around happens after they have physically touched down?
Rarely. Source : Me, Commercial pilot. Don't believe I've ever done it in commercial ops outside the sim. Go arounds before touch down, common.
eugegall likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by BA6501
What is the maximum number of 'tries' possible? I thought that after two go arounds, pilots normally go to the diversion airport (to avoid trying to land the plane at all costs in 'frustration' on the third try)... Sure I read that on here once!
As many as you have fuel for. I would imagine after two tries most would head to your alternate.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 5:42 pm
jmd

Programs: BAEC gold
I have had this happen twice on BA - once in JER in a very strong crosswind, and once at LGW where we landed with a tailwind. In both cases the Captain said that the final approach was unstable at touchdown and that he wasn’t happy with it. My understanding is that BA procedures allow two go arounds as a result of weather, after which they must divert. It is quite an experience when it happens, but it is one of those times that I am very glad to be flying BA.

I am sure that sometimes traffic is blamed to spare blushes - I had a go around into LGW recently on EZ ( on finals) where the Captain blamed traffic but where it was reasonably clear to me (albeit a little knowledge is a dangerous thing) that there was a gusty crosswind and the final approach was not stable.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 10:04 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jmd
My understanding is that BA procedures allow two go arounds as a result of weather, after which they must divert. It is quite an experience when it happens, but it is one of those times that I am very glad to be flying BA.

i don’t think this is the case. There is at least one story upthread of landing on the third attempt and I have heard similar stories elsewhere as well. As always you are limited by your fuel and if the weather is really bad it may be there is no point continually trying the same thing and expecting a different result.

Iam sure that sometimes traffic is blamed to spare blushes - I had a go around into LGW recently on EZ ( on finals) where the Captain blamed traffic but where it was reasonably clear to me (albeit a little knowledge is a dangerous thing) that there was a gusty crosswind and the final approach was not stable.
Why would there be blushes? I don’t see why they would lie? Wind is tricky, it’s not embarrassing to say the aircraft wasn’t stable because of it? On the 5/6 go arounds I have experienced (all BA) the crew have always been open about the reasons on the PA - there was one occasion involving an airprox which was subsequently investigated and reported on by the airprox board where the crew were very reticent to give a clear reason over the pa (they didn’t try and blame something else tho), although knowing they would be reporting it I can fully understand the crew’s wish not to say too much publicly.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 11:54 pm

Programs: AA : BA
I've experienced a double go-around. First time the wheels touched briefly, after the second attempt we circled for 40 minutes and waited for the storm to blow through.

That trip I also had an aborted take-off!
Old Jun 15, 2019, 1:49 am

Programs: BAEC bouncing from Blue to Gold to Blue VSFC Red CXGreen Club Accor Platinum Hilton Silver.
I've been flying as a passenger since 1977 and never had a go around, my daughter has had 2 go arounds in 2 years at Innsbruck and Calgary. So they are rare but they do happen I personally wouldn't be worried by one because I worked at LHR for 32 years and saw many Go Arounds.
John
Old Jun 15, 2019, 2:01 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Cant speak for % of all aircraft, but of my personal recollection of TOGA's two of them have involved a touch and go.

A very windy night late flight into BHD involved two TOGA's with no touch followed by a divert to DUB because it was also very windy at BFS!
Old Jun 15, 2019, 2:02 am

Programs: Yeah, well, don’t really care anymore
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
As mentioned, could be traffic not getting off the runway fast enough, if there was an intersecting runway, perhaps other traffic was given LAHSO instructions and botched it, could be any # of possible explanations.
There are no intersecting runways in LHR, and BA (along with a very long list of other non-US airlines) does not accept LAHSO clearances - even when issued in the few places who allow them.

There's about a 99.999% certainty what the pilot told you is correct; the preceding aircraft didn't clear the runway in time, and a go-around was initiated from low altitude. Keep in mind, go-arounds can be performed up until the time the thrust reversers have been activated. Thus you could, conceivably, land and be down on all wheels before taking her up for a spin around the aerodrome. Been there, done that.

PS
I'm a former airline pilot (license lost for medical reasons) who used to drive 757s & 767s around Europe, North America, Africa and the Middle East for a living. Had my fair share of go-arounds, and my respect for London ATC is unsurpassed - they are, quite literally, the undisputed world champions of calmly and efficiently shifting enormous amounts of traffic in a hugely congested area, to and from equally congested airports.
BOH, Quark999, Waterhorse and 9 others like this.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 3:05 am

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
I remember my own personal bounce after trying to land after getting lost in cloud at Exeter. I was so traumatised I bounced in trying to land, went round and the sane thing happened again. I was determined to proceed to stay on the ground the second time!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.