Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA835 - 14/06 - Hard Landing then Go Around

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA835 - 14/06 - Hard Landing then Go Around

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2019, 1:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by KARFA

i don’t think LAHSOs are done in the U.K.

EDIT: I have had a baulked Lansing once before. The reason was Ona shortish runway at the last moment they thought they were going long and were going to miss the touch down zone. The captain was very open and honest about it during the PA once we were back in the circuit and also when I had a chat with him after - it was my first ever go around so thought it was an event worth noting,
I once had TWO go arounds on the same flight. Avianca from Cartagena back to Bogota. Thankfully he managed to land on the 3rd try.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 2:03 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
I once had TWO go arounds on the same flight. Avianca from Cartagena back to Bogota. Thankfully he managed to land on the 3rd try.
on my one they did the opposite on the second attempt - banged it in right at the start of the TDZ! They weren’t going long again

all my go arounds have been followed by a successful second attempt so far!
Old Jun 14, 2019, 2:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by KARFA

i don’t think LAHSOs are done in the U.K.
Correct.

....and BA aircraft do not participate in them in the USA, words to that effect are contained within the flight plan data that ATC get on each flight (or strip, for KARFA )
LTN Phobia, yellow_peril and KARFA like this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 2:20 pm

Has happened to me twice. Both times it was to avoid a collision with another plane on the runway. On one occasion I could see the other plane directly beneath us as we took off... very close miss. Both occasions did provide a nice air tour of the vicinity which I considered a bonus in addition to still being alive.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 2:27 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
As mentioned, could be traffic not getting off the runway fast enough
Just for the ATC duffers like me, are planes at LHR really given the clear to land on the assumption that the plane ahead will vacate in time, rather than once it has actually got out of the way ?
Old Jun 14, 2019, 2:51 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Heathrow Tower
ATC can grant permission (in fact it is classed an a Land After instruction, not a clearance or permission)
I cannot describe the weird sense of relief I get when I read the proper info like this. Might seem like pedantry to some, but to me, it's almost like a relief...
Old Jun 14, 2019, 3:02 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I cannot describe the weird sense of relief I get when I read the proper info like this. Might seem like pedantry to some, but to me, it's almost like a relief...
Shouldn’t it actually worry you rather than relieve you? [unofficial stats alert] Most flyers would rather be told that ATC only clears a landing only once the previous aircraft has cleared the rwy...
Old Jun 14, 2019, 3:08 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Takiteasy

Shouldn’t it actually worry you rather than relieve you? [unofficial stats alert] Most flyers would rather be told that ATC only clears a landing only once the previous aircraft has cleared the rwy...
No, not at all. But I'm not really one of the 'most flyers', I guess.

If you're worried, have a read of the requirements for Land after in CAP 413 4.57 (source: CAA, downloadable from https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33...%20MAY16.2.pdf )

4.57 A landing aircraft may be permitted to touch down before a preceding
landing aircraft has vacated the runway provided that:
1. the runway is long enough to allow safe separation between the
two aircraft and there is no evidence to indicate that braking may be
adversely affected;
2. it is during daylight hours;
3. the preceding landing aircraft is not required to backtrack in order to
vacate the runway;
4. the controller is satisfied that the landing aircraft will be able to see
the preceding aircraft which has landed, clearly and continuously,
until it has vacated the runway; and
5. the pilot of the following aircraft is warned. (Responsibility for
ensuring adequate separation rests with the pilot of the following
aircraft.
T8191, Takiteasy and blackdog047 like this.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Jun 14, 2019 at 3:22 pm
Old Jun 14, 2019, 3:13 pm

For once (and exceptionally on this forum) I think a little bit of knowledge can be a worrying thing!🤔
nancypants and EDIwanderer like this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by Takiteasy

Quick UK ATC primer for landing clearances.....

1) ‘Speedbird 123 cleared to land’
There is no other traffic on the runway.

2) ‘Speedbird 123, after the landed A320, cleared to land’
There is a previously landed A320 on the runway, but is at least 2000m down the runway, and is expected to be vacated by the time Speedbird 123 crosses the threshold, or will still be on the runway at that time, but is 2500m down the runway (and a load of other criteria about weather, dry runway, braking action etc). ATC retain responsibility for ensuring separation between the two aircraft.

3) “Speedbird 123, land after the A320’
There is a previously landed A320 on the runway, and ATC is transferring separation responsibility, and the decision to actually land, to the captain.

Number 2 is not used at LHR.
Note that Number 3 does not use the word ‘cleared’. It is an instruction, which signifies the transfer of responsibility.

What has been quoted by LTN Phobia is the ‘Land After’.
LTN Phobia, T8191, golfmad and 4 others like this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by Mike Skyflier
For once (and exceptionally on this forum) I think a little bit of knowledge can be a worrying thing!🤔
Mike, out of interest, why do you find it worrying?
Old Jun 14, 2019, 3:38 pm

Because like most others I like to think the previous landing has cleared the runway before my landing.
Mind you once I have landed Im always pleased to turn on to the taxiway so that the plane landing after mine wont catch mine up! Dont get me started on flying through low cloud cover just before landing.
Yes I know I need help. Trouble is I have caught gold fever through you lot!😁
Old Jun 14, 2019, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

Mike, out of interest, why do you find it worrying?
Sorry to ask again but any idea how roughly a go around happens after they have physically touched down?
Old Jun 14, 2019, 3:42 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star

Quick UK ATC primer for landing clearances.....

1) ‘Speedbird 123 cleared to land’
There is no other traffic on the runway.

2) ‘Speedbird 123, after the landed A320, cleared to land’
There is a previously landed A320 on the runway, but is at least 2000m down the runway, and is expected to be vacated by the time Speedbird 123 crosses the threshold, or will still be on the runway at that time, but is 2500m down the runway (and a load of other criteria about weather, dry runway, braking action etc). ATC retain responsibility for ensuring separation between the two aircraft.

3) “Speedbird 123, land after the A320’
There is a previously landed A320 on the runway, and ATC is transferring separation responsibility, and the decision to actually land, to the captain.

Number 2 is not used at LHR.
Note that Number 3 does not use the word ‘cleared’. It is an instruction, which signifies the transfer of responsibility.

What has been quoted by LTN Phobia is the ‘Land After’.
this is really interesting. What about aircraft crossing the south runway as you approach ?
Old Jun 14, 2019, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I regularly listen to the ATC when flying UA into LHR. Often the formal clearance comes within 15 seconds of touchdown, but always the pilot is kept informed of what is happening.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.