Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA835 - 14/06 - Hard Landing then Go Around

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2019, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

Hi all,

Had a bit of a funny experience today and wondered how common this is?

Very bumpy approach into Heathrow today, seemed faster than usual on final and with an almighty bang we touched down but then took off again. I know go arounds are more than standard but how often are go arounds happening after touching the tarmac?

Then oddly enough the captain came on the PA to say that both it was windy but the go around was caused by a plane on the runway.

I have a light pilots licence and if that was the case the controller would have asked for a go around way before touching the runway. Maybe he was just embarrassed to admit that he couldn't quite handle the aircraft during those particular challenging conditions. it just seemed very contradictory.

All in all they did a great job and I'm sure we were very safe at all times so congrats for landing in those conditions. Was very gusty indeed.

Last edited by eugegall; Jun 14, 2019 at 12:38 pm
Old Jun 14, 2019, 12:26 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
For those who haven't yet memorised... etc., BA835 is, apparently, DUB-LHR.
SK, adrianlondon, Stez and 4 others like this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Misco60
For those who haven't yet memorised... etc., BA835 is, apparently, DUB-LHR.
Really ?

Could’ve noted that without the tone
Old Jun 14, 2019, 12:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Really ?

Could’ve noted that without the tone
I thought that by abbreviating the standard "For those who haven't memorised the entire BA timetable", I was indicating that it was a light-hearted response. It seems the humour was lost.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by eugegall

I have a light pilots licence and if that was the case the controller would have asked for a go around way before touching the runway. Maybe he was just embarrassed to admit that he couldn't quite handle the aircraft during those particular challenging conditions. it just seemed very contradictory.

Somehow I don't think that is the case.

And go arounds do happen once the wheels have touched the runway.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 12:39 pm

Maybe he forgot to put the arrestor hook down?
Old Jun 14, 2019, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Somehow I don't think that is the case.

And go arounds do happen once the wheels have touched the runway.
Yeah I get that but the question I had was, does this happen often. I can't imagine so.

I also cant imagine the ATC would grant permission to land with another aircraft in the way.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 1:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
ATC can grant permission (in fact it is classed an a Land After instruction, not a clearance or permission) for an aircraft to land with another still on the runway, there are various criteria that need to be extant for this to happen.

If the go around is instructed at the latest point it could be, then in windy and turbulent conditions a touchdown could occur before climbing away.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
As another ATCO, I assume a slow clearance of the runway by the one ahead.

In Mil ATC, landing with one on is common ... but then arrestor hooks and brake 'chutes do help, as well as being able to pass to the side [fast-jets only]. I've cleared a/c to land in turn with 5 ahead and 6 on, in a very intense recovery period (34 RAAF Mirages)
Old Jun 14, 2019, 1:36 pm

It's possible they were instructed to go around so late that the wheels touched. If it was a hard landing the airplane likely bounced. Most airlines, mine included, require a go around after a bounce (not just a skip) due to the likelihood of major problems occurring trying to recover from the bounce (for example, the airplane I fly, if you bounce and didn't have the power at idle, then bring the power to idle, the ground spoilers will extend even while still flying, a very bad scenario indeed). As a result, go arounds are mandatory following a bounce. Saying that traffic was the cause is just covering your butt :-)
Old Jun 14, 2019, 1:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
As mentioned, could be traffic not getting off the runway fast enough, if there was an intersecting runway, perhaps other traffic was given LAHSO instructions and botched it, could be any # of possible explanations.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Heathrow Tower
ATC can grant permission (in fact it is classed an a Land After instruction, not a clearance or permission) for an aircraft to land with another still on the runway, there are various criteria that need to be extant for this to happen.

If the go around is instructed at the latest point it could be, then in windy and turbulent conditions a touchdown could occur before climbing away.
Awesome. Thanks for the insight. Very interesting indeed.

How often would a go around result after touching down? 1 in 10 go around? Less? More?
Old Jun 14, 2019, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by T8191
As another ATCO, I assume a slow clearance of the runway by the one ahead.

In Mil ATC, landing with one on is common ... but then arrestor hooks and brake 'chutes do help, as well as being able to pass to the side [fast-jets only]. I've cleared a/c to land in turn with 5 ahead and 6 on, in a very intense recovery period (34 RAAF Mirages)
Really interesting to hear your thoughts. Thanks for sharing them!
Fatdickie likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Raymoland
It's possible they were instructed to go around so late that the wheels touched. If it was a hard landing the airplane likely bounced. Most airlines, mine included, require a go around after a bounce (not just a skip) due to the likelihood of major problems occurring trying to recover from the bounce (for example, the airplane I fly, if you bounce and didn't have the power at idle, then bring the power to idle, the ground spoilers will extend even while still flying, a very bad scenario indeed). As a result, go arounds are mandatory following a bounce. Saying that traffic was the cause is just covering your butt :-)
My thoughts exactly.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 1:48 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
As mentioned, could be traffic not getting off the runway fast enough, if there was an intersecting runway, perhaps other traffic was given LAHSO instructions and botched it, could be any # of possible explanations.
i don’t think LAHSOs are done in the U.K.

EDIT: I have had a baulked landing once before. The reason was on shortish runway at the last moment they thought they were going long and were going to miss the touch down zone. The captain was very open and honest about it during the PA once we were back in the circuit and also when I had a chat with him after - it was my first ever go around so thought it was an event worth noting,
MSPeconomist likes this.

Last edited by KARFA; Jun 14, 2019 at 2:03 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.