Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Priority Boarding [at MAN] is still such a joke . Why bother.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Priority Boarding [at MAN] is still such a joke . Why bother.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2019, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
So, MAN bad ... rest of network, at hubs or other outstations?

Perhaps a Mod would amend the Thread title to become location-specific?
Old Jun 14, 2019, 2:49 pm

Programs: BA GGL, CCR, Hilton Diamond, MLife Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by madfish

Which gates do you propose? Don’t think many have good areas for organising boarding.

I wonder if the line tonight has gone mixed up and people are joining group 1/2/3 line when they are meant to be at the wall for group 4/5.
Haha, I am not sure because I have spent too long queuing in this area !

Not really feasible due to logistics (gates needed/saved for larger planes) but the gates AA used before ORD and NYC were pulled may be better, the PHL gate has space to queue but is needed every morning from around 7-12 for that flight.

Maybe T2 would be the answer, then we can moan about the size, distances and same security experience on a bigger scale.
madfish likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 3:41 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Since the board-by-group thing started in my experience it’s been about
30% a pointless shambles
40% a slight improvement on before
30% a definite positive experience

so while I have been left shaking my head in disappointment plenty of times, overall I’m glad it’s in operation.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 4:17 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Real question from someone who hasn't been through Manchester. Do the gate agents process everyone in the priority queue first, or are they separate gates?
Old Jun 14, 2019, 4:21 pm

Programs: BAEC, Flying Blue, Eurobonus
Watched an older couple at Aberdeen - Heathrow negotiate the pre-boarding process. They were a little anxious for sure, I saw their boarding passes and they were group 4. I intervened at one point to stop them going to the Manchester gate due to them mishearing an announcement.

When group one was called I heard the husband say come on to his wife and joined the group two line. She correctly said this is not for us, but he pointed to the sapphire priority logo and said this is us - blue. Can't argue with his logic!

When they carried on the gate staff let them board with the rest of group two.

They had no idea they boarding incorrectly and the gate staff didn't care enough to send them back. I just smiled at the blissful ignorance.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott LTP/PE
Not sure what was wrong with the old system of Business and Gold, then silver etc. I don’t think it’s just a Manchester issue. The priority line is frequently longer than explicable wherever in the world you are.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 5:11 pm

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by Soupdragon62
Just walk to the front of the line saying very loudly, 'excuse me I'm gold', that never fails
I have seen people do that.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 5:17 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
I've flown 40 plus legs on BA this year from a variety of airports and not one issue with PB. Even had just one bus for club passengers from a remote stand. Bit silly just 12 people on a bus, but seems to work fine in most cases
Old Jun 14, 2019, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott LTP/PE
Flew in from MIA last month and it was a gong show there too.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 5:51 pm

Programs: QF Gold, WY Gold
There is a lot to be said for drinking an extra coffee and sitting and waiting for the masses to board. I regularly board amongst the last few stragglers, often taking a seat near the gate checking messages for the last 10 mins instead.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why didn't you join the shorter queue?
Old Jun 14, 2019, 6:41 pm

A large part of the trouble boarding BA flights at MAN lies in the history of T3. It was originally the domestic pier of T1, which was then the only terminal. Then it was hived off from T1 to become T3, "The British Airways Terminal". This was in the days before BA retreated to become London Airways and it ran a substantial programme of European flights from Manchester, using mainly 99-seat BAC111-500s, Even then the corridors were a bit congested, having been built in the days when few aircraft had many more than 60 seats.

So the gates are operating at something over twice their designed queueing capacity. A greater propensity for passengers to carry bulky cabin bags doesn't help.

Perhaps BA does give some recognition to the problem by using the A319 for many services when, judging by the rate at which flights fill up, they could probably deploy an A321 quite profitably.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 11:27 pm

Programs: BAEC - Gold
It’s also the only airport where I’ve confidently strolled up to the gate agent, boarding pass in hand, only to be told “London’s over there sir”. Gate 142 autopilot. I blame the bad signage and the snaking queues...
Old Jun 15, 2019, 12:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Yachtman
There is a lot to be said for drinking an extra coffee and sitting and waiting for the masses to board. I regularly board amongst the last few stragglers, often taking a seat near the gate checking messages for the last 10 mins instead.
That is a good strategy if you have no cabin bags; otherwise, you risk not finding space and having your bag many rows away from you or even put in the hold, thanks to BA's woeful inability to enforce its own cabin baggage rules.

MAN is one of my least favourite airports in the entire world (of the ones that I actually use), and I will go out of my way to avoid using it.
Modo and cjb666 like this.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 12:41 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
As a MAN very very regular, I always go to the gate when it appears on my app, rather than wait for it to appear on the departure board. They could board by group number if they really wished to, but it would take committed, morivated staff to do so. Plus they’d need to train the non BA staff involved in the boarding.

I hope that, along with the lounge Wi-fi and priority security, these things will get fixed if and when BA moves to T2

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.