FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   BAd BA BAcon (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1973991-bad-ba-bacon.html)

FoxtrotOscar Jun 14, 2019 10:08 am

BAd BA BAcon

While there’s definitely been a noticeable uplift in BA’s food offerings, there remains one big issue.

Insipid, fatty bacon.

Who’s up for some customer lobbying for crispier bacon? If it’s possible to routinely cook a fillet of beef to within an inch of its life....

T8191 Jun 14, 2019 10:27 am

I like crispy [streaky] bacon and rare steak, so I’m on your team.

BUT ... what do the majority of BA’s pax prefer? Don’t they scream if there’s blood on the plate, or howl that their rasher of bacon has been ruined?

Neat Thread title, BTW ;)

missdimeaner Jun 14, 2019 10:43 am

BA just misunderstood-
Soggy Bacon
Crispy (cremated) Steak
I’m a fan of the fatty crisp American style bacon which pings off the plate if you try and cut it.
’Passenger sues BA for bacon injury’ ;)

Mordac Jun 14, 2019 10:49 am

Originally Posted by T8191 (Post 31202755)
I like crispy [streaky] bacon and rare steak, so I’m on your team.

BUT ... what do the majority of BA’s pax prefer? Don’t they scream if there’s blood on the plate, or howl that their rasher of bacon has been ruined?

Neat Thread title, BTW ;)

I'd love some black pudding myself!

T8191 Jun 14, 2019 10:53 am

Originally Posted by Mordac (Post 31202826)
I'd love some black pudding myself!

Agreed, but again that’s probably at the far end of the bell-curve. Sadly, BA caters for the majority who like over-cooked steaks and barely-cooked bacon without exotic additions,

Geordie405 Jun 14, 2019 11:03 am

As someone who lives in the US where the choices tend to be the streaky / crispy bacon or else Canadian bacon (think ham for those who don't know what I mean) one of the pleasures of coming back to the UK is the ability to have "proper" bacon! That said, I definitely do like it cooked to the point where the fat is crispy but the meat is still tender. The BA breakfast bacon doesn't quite hit the spot when it comes to that - it definitely needs a bit longer under the grill.

Geo772 Jun 14, 2019 11:25 am

I think I must be one of those who appreciates all facets of bacon. From bacon as a seasoning (think bacon bits on a potato), to american extra crispy streaky bacon to BA bacon to how I cook it myself. In my view it is all good. Even the canteen at work can't dull my enthusiasm for bacon!

DeathSlam Jun 14, 2019 11:26 am

My understanding is that food on a plane is cooked by convection (steam) rather than radiation for safety reasons.
That makes 'crisping' something that needs extra technology to pull off.
You could either reheat pre-crisped bacon (thus losing the crisp) or use a bacon crisping device and a microwave (unlikely as it needs extra kit).

tigertanaka Jun 14, 2019 12:09 pm

Are we talking in flight bacon or lounge bacon? I am a big fan of the GF cooked breakfast buffet, a big factor in my attempt to retain gold this year.

In flight bacon is undercooked IMO.

T8191 Jun 14, 2019 12:21 pm

#BaconTalk.com ;)

PAL62V Jun 14, 2019 12:28 pm

This is definitely a pig deal. Good quality bacon should not be rasher-ned. To say it can't be done would be telling porkies.

T8191 Jun 14, 2019 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by PAL62V (Post 31203176)
This is definitely a pig deal. Good quality bacon should not be rasher-ned. To say it can't be done would be telling porkies.

You streaked past the back of the pack there. Chop-chop the rest of you, or you'll get a grilling at the finish line.

kanderson1965 Jun 14, 2019 1:17 pm

Proper British back bacon please, non of the US style streaky rubbish, which is all fat snd no meat.

T8191 Jun 14, 2019 1:23 pm

This is clearly a Fry-day Thread.

And the fat should run, not sit there attached to the meat. ;)

TTmex Jun 14, 2019 1:33 pm

Hopefully enough feedback will cure the problem. ;)
I like my bacon with the meat slightly thick and salty and the fat cooked extra under the grill.