Wiki Posts
Search

Airport Upgrade Incentive

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2019, 1:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Airport Upgrade Incentive

At check in for my flight yesterday from FLL I was asked (unprompted) if I wanted to upgrade from WT+ to Club.
I fly long haul at least once a month and 50% of the time I'll go for an upgrade it if its available and the price is ok. When I enquired how full the flight was and if the seat beside mine was empty I was told that it was full and the space beside me was no longer free and he suggested I'd be more comfortable in club.

I declined but he kept pushing the question, asking me 3 more times if I wanted to do it before finally accepting I was happy where I was.

What makes it odd is on boarding I discovered that WT+ wasn't even half full and the seat beside me was empty. Not sure why he'd tell me otherwise.

Is this normal? Is there an incentive for check in staff to push paid upgrades?
Old Jun 14, 2019, 2:01 am

Programs: BAEC. Gold
Perhaps the passenger originaly in the seat next to you was offered the same upgrade deal as your good self and jumped at it

in any Sales orientated organisation, most staff in a position to generate or increase GP, are rewarded with a small commision to encourage the Sales person to actively upsell .
BA check in staff are no doubt the same.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 2:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA Mileage Plus, Hotels.com Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Pizza Express Gold
The person in the next seat may have taken the upgrade, but more than half of the cabin?
Old Jun 14, 2019, 2:47 am

Programs: BA Oneworld
Did you get the meal of your choice? I always wonder if airport upgrades at outstations have the means to cater for additional passengers when the galley has already been loaded according to the original manifest.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 3:17 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Outstations often have targets for AUPs to fulfill. The ground agents don't have any insights as to how that figure was arrived at, it seems a combination of revenue and fill management, but they know that they are at least half expected to meet that target. In most locations this isn't treated terribly seriously unless it really is fill management related (i.e. anyone not AUP'd means some last minute gate complications). In the USA, a target driving culture is well embedded, let us say, so you are more likely to get the hard sell over there. There is a lounge agent I'm friendly with in JFK and we now both treat it as a joke since I'm never going to pay for First, and she knows it. She also knows that mostly I'll get that upgrade anyway so I make an exaggerated attempt to profusely thank her for working her magic on FLY, when we both know that it's down to some DeepBrain or whatever.
AdFlyer, nufnuf77 and alex67500 like this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 4:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Fatdickie
Perhaps the passenger originaly in the seat next to you was offered the same upgrade deal as your good self and jumped at it

in any Sales orientated organisation, most staff in a position to generate or increase GP, are rewarded with a small commision to encourage the Sales person to actively upsell .
BA check in staff are no doubt the same.
Yes good point!

Just interested to hear if anyone has experienced the hard sell in this way before, I'm not adverse to it, just never happened to me before and felt odd, usually i am the one pushing for the upgrade, ha.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 5:33 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Outstations often have targets for AUPs to fulfill. The ground agents don't have any insights as to how that figure was arrived at, it seems a combination of revenue and fill management, but they know that they are at least half expected to meet that target. In most locations this isn't treated terribly seriously unless it really is fill management related (i.e. anyone not AUP'd means some last minute gate complications). In the USA, a target driving culture is well embedded, let us say, so you are more likely to get the hard sell over there. There is a lounge agent I'm friendly with in JFK and we now both treat it as a joke since I'm never going to pay for First, and she knows it. She also knows that mostly I'll get that upgrade anyway so I make an exaggerated attempt to profusely thank her for working her magic on FLY, when we both know that it's down to some DeepBrain or whatever.
That deep brain has been making me really upset recently, some ragamuffins upgraded ahead of His Lordship
teledude and anniegray like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.