Rubbish service from BA returns as usual

Old Jun 13, 19, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC at last back to Gold, Flying Blue, Red with the Bearded One, Accor, Finnair Plus Blue
Rubbish service from BA returns as usual

RANT
Well I thought once I am checked in and have a boarding pass I should be able to get on board a BA flight from AMS-LHR, seems not as despite being a Gold Card holder someone at BA UK has offloaded me without even a TEXT or email but the BA App still holds my boarding pass. Gate agent just blames BA.

Rant over.

Very busy flight so lost my aisle EXIT row seat for a middle seat further down the plane but I am glad to be going home.
BAs incompetence beggers belief!
Old Jun 13, 19, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
What was the reason given for this?
Old Jun 13, 19, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC at last back to Gold, Flying Blue, Red with the Bearded One, Accor, Finnair Plus Blue
Just UK BA office offloaded me.

Nothing else
Old Jun 13, 19, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by thundercat View Post
Well I thought once I am checked in and have a boarding pass I should be able to get on board a BA flight from AMS-LHR, seems not as despite being a Gold Card holder ...
Surely as a Gold you'd know that this does not automatically follow? Even if you have a BP, an offload can always happen, for any of a number of reasons including plain old error.

And being a Gold doesn't give you immunity from this sort of thing. You'd probably need to be a Prem to have an expectation of such treatment.
argonath likes this.
Old Jun 13, 19, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Correct, no one should be offloaded by BA really without being contacted, especially as the BP was valid all through the airport and lounge.
Very poor service
Old Jun 13, 19, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Platinum: KL Gold: A3 Rust: BA
Originally Posted by thundercat View Post
Correct, no one should be offloaded by BA really without being contacted, especially as the BP was valid all through the airport and lounge.
I once sat for an hour on a BA plane on the ground at RTM while the ground handling crew tried to reconcile the fact that a passenger had boarded with some sort of boarding pass that didn't appear valid, and they didn't seem to be able to figure out why she wasn't on the manifest and whether she had a valid ticket or not.

In the end, they convinced her to leave the plane so that the rest of us good folk could get to where we wanted to go.

Must ba a BA in Holland thing
Old Jun 13, 19, 10:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor silver
Originally Posted by Globaliser View Post
Surely as a Gold you'd know that this does not automatically follow? Even if you have a BP, an offload can always happen, for any of a number of reasons including plain old error.

And being a Gold doesn't give you immunity from this sort of thing. You'd probably need to be a Prem to have an expectation of such treatment.
That is funny. I really cannot believe although I really should not be, surprised why you are defending BA on acting this way to a Gold member. Sure they can offload but why a Gold card holder? Do they want loyalty or not? I guess not but we all really know that loyalty with BA seems very hit and miss yet many people here seem to think they get it. If I were the op go KLM or any other carrier.
Old Jun 13, 19, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by nivsy View Post
I really cannot believe although I really should not be, surprised why you are defending BA on acting this way to a Gold member. Sure they can offload but why a Gold card holder?
I'm not defending BA. It sounds like something has gone wrong here.

But I do think that Golds need to have a sense of reality about how (un)important they are. When things go wrong, they can go wrong to anyone. If you're a Prem, you might have some clout and some expectation that someone should have noticed and stopped it going wrong before it did. But I'm very conscious that a plain old Gold like me is neither particularly valuable nor particularly special to BA. Yes, it's nice to have a few extra perks that make travel easier, but that is as far as Gold goes.

Once one starts getting into "It's shocking that a Gold got offloaded by accident", "It's ridiculous that a Gold got seat-shifted", and so on, one is deep into DYKWIA territory.
IAN-UK, HIDDY, Gengy and 17 others like this.
Old Jun 13, 19, 11:00 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
I still don't really fully understand what happened?
wrp96 and nancypants like this.
Old Jun 13, 19, 11:03 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I have a feeling there is some key fact missing here.

Was this a late booking? Or a booking changed recently? Or an Agency booking?

It comes across as a overbooked service and the last-on, first off principle would apply. The other explanation is that BA hasn't had full payment confirmation. Alternatively good old fashioned curtain roulette. Usually BA don't chuck Golds off their aircraft at random, I think we would have a high old time on this forum if they did. [Maybe they should?!] So I suspect there is some key extra piece of information missing here, of which the OP may also be unaware.
Prospero, HIDDY, wrp96 and 4 others like this.
Old Jun 13, 19, 11:05 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Carbon Conscious Travel

thundercat, do you have any inclination as to what happened, even if the ground agent you spoke to wasnít able to eloborate? Was your booking ticketed correctly, for example? We can all learn from your experience, if only to avoid it happening again.
Old Jun 13, 19, 11:50 am
Jed

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite

But I do think that Golds need to have a sense of reality about how (un)important they are. When things go wrong, they can go wrong to anyone. If you're a Prem, you might have some clout and some expectation that someone should have noticed and stopped it going wrong before it did. But I'm very conscious that a plain old Gold like me is neither particularly valuable nor particularly special to BA. Yes, it's nice to have a few extra perks that make travel easier, but that is as far as Gold goes.

Once one starts getting into "It's shocking that a Gold got offloaded by accident", "It's ridiculous that a Gold got seat-shifted", and so on, one is deep into DYKWIA territory.
I donít agree that Gold cardholders should become resigned to the fact that they are not important, valuable customers- it would allow BA to get away with anything. Loyalty should be a 2 way street. Whether BA chooses to have levels above gold is their business, but ultimately, BA gold is Oneworld emerald and you would think that counts for something on the Ďhome airlineí. Other Oneworld carriers are certainly capable of delivering a consistently reliable set of benefits to BA gold card holders and I donít think that includes random offloads (I appreciate that I donít know the OPís detailed situation)
nivsy and LSunbury like this.
Old Jun 13, 19, 11:59 am

Programs: British Airways Gold

This Gold agrees, you only have to look at how crowded the First lounge is to realise how replaceable your business is
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 13, 19, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

So the flight was fully paid for several months ago and there were actually two of us on the booking and only I was offloaded.
The flight was not full (luckily I could get back on but in a middle seat otherwise my colleague would have flown without me and had to wait at LHR as I was his lift).
I checked in 24 hours in advance on the App and downloaded my BP.
Missed off that I booked this directly via my BA account.

Last edited by thundercat; Jun 13, 19 at 12:32 pm
Old Jun 13, 19, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Prospero View Post
thundercat, do you have any inclination as to what happened, even if the ground agent you spoke to wasnít able to eloborate? Was your booking ticketed correctly, for example? We can all learn from your experience, if only to avoid it happening again.
The gate agent could not give any other reason than the screen said changed by BA.
Also no issues with the LHR-AMS segment only AMS-LHR.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: