Community
Wiki Posts
Search

anyone in LHR T5 today?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2019, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
She will have been taken to a holding area where she will wait until they come and collect her to take her to her gate for the flight to Dublin.

Can I gently say that it would have been far better if you had given these details right at the beginning as you would have got advice (and hopefully reassurance) far quicker.
Franky16 likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SK, LH
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
She will have been taken to a holding area where she will wait until they come and collect her to take her to her gate for the flight to Dublin.

Can I gently say that it would have been far better if you had given these details right at the beginning as you would have got advice (and hopefully reassurance) far quicker.
sorry mate,, for keeping thread so long.
im just tensed and trying everywhere, twitter and boards and ft. just want to hear she is in that holding area,
Old Jun 12, 2019, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by plunet
If she has booked assistance my guess is that she may be in the special services lounge opposite gate A21?
is there a holding area or special area in T5 for wheel chair?
i thought they would leave passengers at some random gate.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 12:13 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by bittihuduga
is there a holding area or special area in T5 for wheel chair?
i thought they would leave passengers at some random gate.
Yes, there is a specific 'lounge' where the special services personnel will leave their customers to wait if there is an extended period of time between movements. One of these in T5 (not sure if there are others) is opposite gate A21.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Being unable to speak English will not be an issue! She’ll be in pocession of her boarding pass and the assistance team will get her to her flight.

Old Jun 12, 2019, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Yes there us a lounge where they take customers needing assistance, from there they are taken to the gate, please stop worrying as many hundreds of customers many that don’t speak English are looked after every day.
orbitmic and mikeyfly like this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

thanks folks.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 1:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Having children is way more complicated than T5 so I think you can assume that she is OK.
An excellent yardstick by which to assess the passenger experience of an airport terminal! In your extensive travel experience, are there any airports that come close...?
Old Jun 12, 2019, 2:09 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Remember that the mobile signal is pretty dicey in some parts of LHR T5 too, so it may not even be that your mother's phone is turned off, but that it's simply a poor signal.

I hope she's merrily travelling along.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 2:38 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Deltus
An excellent yardstick by which to assess the passenger experience of an airport terminal! In your extensive travel experience, are there any airports that come close...?
Doha! Well, I know it well enough now, but my goodness there are some classic signpost failures. Including right after entry from landside via the Business/First entry: the is an escalator and lift going down to the main floor, and in LHR there would be a sign to say that above, a sign for the lift (and a request for those with heavy baggage) plus two signs on either side of the escalator bank, and a final set of signs on the lower level to provide internal comfort. Hamad International? maffish! They just assume people keep going forward without an enquiring mind.

It's not actually the worst, the older Russian airports can be quite dreadful, but it's disappointing that a modern airport was built seemingly without proper thought.

And I do hope @bittihuduga's mother is now arriving into Dublin, it may be interesting - if the OP gets the opportunity - to find out what she thought as a presumably not too frequent user of LHR T5 as to how it went. That way it could help other people in similar situations.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If your mother is anything like my mother, she may well have turned off the telephone until she needs to call someone. The concept of inbound calls, despite a certain amount of coaching, seems not to make sense. The most likely situation is she turned off the phone on the previous flight because she was told to, and hasn't got round to turning it back on again. Also the 4G network in T5 is silly overloaded, more capacity is being added, but to be sure of a signal it's sometimes best to go 3G or even 2G there. Having children is way more complicated than T5 so I think you can assume that she is OK.
And I thought I was the only one who suffered from this!!!!

LOL
mad_atta, wrp96 and wrldwide1 like this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I think many of us as children of ageing parents need to accept that we should help them if and when we can and accept the lack of control in between.

as mentioned by others, lhr is a massive airport with plenty of hidden spots and routes even frequent travellers may ignore. Imagine if op had managed to contact someone, given his/her explanations above and the person had come back to say that unfortunately, he just went to the gate after finding out which it is and could not see anyone fitting the mother’s description. Or imagine that the person had, went to the mother, tried to explain that he was just checking on her for her son/daughter and her not speaking English just understood that it was about her son/daughter and immediately panicked about some disaster. Either way, a fairly likely result is some level of unnecessary and fully avoidable panic for either mother or son/daughter or both.

Honestly, the moment we accept we are not controlling everything, and that the well-being of our parents is more important than our own sense of reassurance (or irrational guilt), we mostly avoid making already difficult situations worse than they need to be. So to the op very much hope that your mum made it ok,pretty optimistic that she did, and just think that it’s great that she can still travel and that airlines regulatorily have to provide the help which makes it safe and as comfortable as possible for her. Let’s hope she continues to make the most of this for a very long time!

Last edited by orbitmic; Jun 13, 2019 at 2:37 am
Old Jun 13, 2019, 4:29 am

Programs: BA GGL
Well, how did she fare?
Old Jun 13, 2019, 5:21 am

Programs: BAEC. Gold
Yep

how is flyer talks adopted mum? 😋
wrp96 and EDIwanderer like this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 7:05 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by Deltus
CDG springs to mind...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.