Which POS load availability applies?

Old Jun 12, 19, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Which POS load availability applies?

I'd like to use the following scenario to illustrate the questions related to the business rules for the titled topic.
  • Passenger purchased a BA ticket (125-) for the following sectors ARN/LHR/IAD/LHR/ARN
  • Ticket was purchased through a travel agent registered in Australia. Point of Sale (POS) is Sydney. As such load availability as recorded in Sabre GDS was ex-SYD
  • Passenger flew out on the ARN/LHR/IAD sectors as planned
  • While at IAD passenger needed to change the return IAD/LHR/ARN sectors to a later date
  • Passenger is happy to pay a change fee and any associated admin cost, however would like to keep cost down by rebooking into the same inventory as was purchased (i.e. in this case I inventory) so as not to pay a fare difference
  • On the premise that once the outbound sectors are flown the airline controls the reservation, the passenger has the option to initiate change either through the travel agent in Australia or through the BA call centre (UK/India).
Questions relating to the scenario above:
  1. When making the change after the outbound sectors are flown, what POS load availability applies? IAD, ARN, LON or SYD?
  2. Does the passenger's decision to initiate change either through the travel agent in Australia or the BA call centre (UK/India) affect the response to question (1) above? If so, how?
Old Jun 12, 19, 9:21 am

In my sample size of one for doing something a bit like this (ex-EU itinerary booked direct with BA so POS of AMS) I found that ringing the UK office resulting in no availability in the same class and therefore an eye-watering change fee. Phoning the Dutch sales office found available inventory so change made for standard change fee. So I'd be inclined to start with wherever is showing availability and see if they will do it.
Old Jun 12, 19, 9:44 am

Programs: Former BA/AA/CP/LY employee, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Platinum, Samsung Platinum
Originally Posted by TheRealBabushka View Post
  1. When making the change after the outbound sectors are flown, what POS load availability applies? IAD, ARN, LON or SYD?
  2. Does the passenger's decision to initiate change either through the travel agent in Australia or the BA call centre (UK/India) affect the response to question (1) above? If so, how?
Generally speaking, the number dialled to reach BA will guide the agent as to which work area (POS) to be in; a call to the US number should lead to the US availability being checked; calling Australia, UK, Sweden, etc., Should you decide to call another country, be prepared to pay in the currency of that country. I wouldn't consider UK POS relevant to this booking though.

If the booking can be changed on BA.com, then Australian availability (and AUD) will be used.
TheRealBabushka likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: