Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Keep getting quotes in GBP - A Brexit symptom?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Keep getting quotes in GBP - A Brexit symptom?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2019, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GFL, GGL, CCR; Marriott PFL, Ambassador; Hilton Diamond
Thanks.
JAXBA likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 10:43 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
The last ex-CAI ticket I purchased through calling the UK. May BAEC account is German based. The availability was only available with UK POS and I was told I would have to pay in GBP. When asking to pay in EUR, I was told I would have to speak to an agent outside the UK. Fine by me since I have no foreign currency fees on my EUR credit card but I did think the information is incorrect. Happy to have got what I wanted at the price I wanted it at, but the quality of information you receive does seem to be very variable. As a reference, the previous ticket was booked the same way and charged directly in EUR.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 1:03 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Tafflyer
The availability was only available with UK POS and I was told I would have to pay in GBP.
That seems reasonable to me. Agents aren't supposed to use availability from one area but take payment in another. It happens, but shouldn't.

Essentially, if you'd like a specific currency for a new booking, you'll be restricted to availability in the specific POS. That's separate from an existing EUR booking being changed and the assumption that GBP is okay to reprice in.
Anonba likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 5:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Skywards Silver
Just to confirm my understanding, if I wish to book a one way from SYD to LON over the phone from the U.K. it should be quoted in GBP and not AUD.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 7:36 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL
For what it's worth, it's not just currency that's weird. I have a BAEC account based in the UK, but when I book things via the GGL line (speaking English) starting in ZRH, all the email communication about it is in German (which I don't speak). Fantastically unhelpful.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 1:05 am

Originally Posted by jimthewhiz
Just to confirm my understanding, if I wish to book a one way from SYD to LON over the phone from the U.K. it should be quoted in GBP and not AUD.
Yes. The currency you are charged in via the contact centres depends on the number you call. If you call a UK number you are charged in GBP if you call US a number you are charged in USD etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.