Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Chance of receiving upgrade to Club Europe offer?

Old Jun 11, 19, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Executive Club

I have a flight in 3 weeks LGW-NAP. I would like to upgrade it to Club Europe in order to reach Silver. On the website I get a quote of £269.
I called up BA and they offered £155, including a £30 fee for doing it over the phone.

What's the chance of getting an offer? I've upgraded from Buenos Aires to London from PE to CW for £400 last summer!

On another one of my flights, I see an upgrade offer of £139. Is there any chance this will go down?
Old Jun 11, 19, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Welcome to FT, magnagraecia!

You may want to have a look at our dedicated thread about special offer upgrades that you may see when you look at your booking on the BA website. This will give you an idea of what prices these offers might be pitched at. Pro-active Online Upgrade (POUG) tracking and discussion | 2019 thread

A special offer of this kind will be marked as such. Otherwise, what the website will quote you is the upgrade price in accordance with your fare rules, which will be the fare difference to buy up to the higher cabin plus the change fee specified by the fare rules. I suspect that the £269 price was probably one of these.

Beyond that, I don't know whether there's any reliable way of finding out what your chances are of getting an offer.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jun 12, 19, 1:49 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
There are others on here that are more experienced than I, but from my past exposure I'd say that if you haven't had an online offer yet, you won't get one. However you may be able to upgrade at the airport for a lower price - see the airport upgrade thread for an idea of cost.

If price is an issue then wait for the airport, but it probably won't be hugely cheaper than £155, so if this is the only way you'll get your Silver upgrade, it's probably worth taking that and being guaranteed for the sake of an extra £50-60 or something.

I don't know any cases of Proactive online offers going down in price, but it may possibly happen.
Old Jun 12, 19, 1:59 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by magnagraecia View Post
On another one of my flights, I see an upgrade offer of £139. Is there any chance this will go down?
Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum magnagraecia. It's good to see you here and I hope that you will become a regular participant.

If that £139 is for a LHR or LCY London to Greece flight then that is the standard Proactive Upgrade (POUG) from EuroTraveller to Club World, these are upgrades where the TPs awarded are 80 per flight. It won't usually go lower. There are various things you have to do to get a POUG, such as buying directly from BA - and they come and go depending on overall demand. The alternative upgrade is by asking at the airport for an AUP, airport upgrade promotion, which is typically a similar price to POUGs. Both POUGs and AUPs have detailed threads in the Dashboard.

The other prices you are quoting must be fare difference upgrades, where it would certainly have been cheaper to buy Club initially. I can tell that by the fact that there is a change fee involved, which is not levied for AUPs or POUGs.
Old Jun 12, 19, 2:53 am
Original Poster

Many thanks for the welcomes to the forum. I've been lurking for a while now. I hope to stay, however, I don't think my bank account does
The annoying this is that I am only 5 tier points away from silver once my summer flights are done. I think economically speaking, it'd be best if I found a cheap day trip somewhere.

Those POUG and AUP pages are very helpful indeed, how had I not found those before!? I've just read through all the processes there, it seems quite the art.
The £139 quote is MAN-JMK. Which on the BA website, this flight can be purchased now with a £79 difference between baggage Econ and CE .. So I am slightly kicking myself in the foot for that.
Old Jun 12, 19, 3:02 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Those POUG and AUP pages are very helpful indeed, how had I not found those before!? I've just read through all the processes there, it seems quite the art.
The £139 quote is MAN-JMK. Which on the BA website, this flight can be purchased now with a £79 difference between baggage Econ and CE .. So I am slightly kicking myself in the foot for that.
If you are on a Basic fare it may be worth cancelling the ticket rather than taking a POUG, but by all means do the maths here. The POUG won't come down below £139, I feel, I suspect if you are on a Plus fare the maths will almost be the same between cancel and POUG, but that's kind of deliberate, generally speaking a POUG isn't going to be cheaper than the very cheapest CE return anyway.

You can get 5 TPs for as little as £40 or even less with a one way domestic fare, but since you also get a lot more Avios, and the catering on a long flight is probably worth something (though ET too has catering as it happens) then maybe the £139 can be justified.
Old Jun 12, 19, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
If you are on a Basic fare it may be worth cancelling the ticket rather than taking a POUG, but by all means do the maths here. The POUG won't come down below £139, I feel, I suspect if you are on a Plus fare the maths will almost be the same between cancel and POUG, but that's kind of deliberate, generally speaking a POUG isn't going to be cheaper than the very cheapest CE return anyway.

You can get 5 TPs for as little as £40 or even less with a one way domestic fare, but since you also get a lot more Avios, and the catering on a long flight is probably worth something (though ET too has catering as it happens) then maybe the £139 can be justified.
Thanks again for your help. Another reason I wanted to upgrade the JMK flight is that it falls on my partner and I's anniversary, so thought it must be a nice treat. But thinking about £278 extra for something could have got for £158 seems a bit crazy. I just checked and there is a £15 cancellation fee for my flight I believe. So if I were to rebook that'd take me up to £188. Do you think it may just be worth the risk to wait until I get to the airport on the day and ask?
I can't see any AUP past quotes from MAN to JMK, only LHR/LCY which are more expensive flights anyway.
Old Jun 12, 19, 9:11 am

I cannot see it getting any cheaper and it's by far from certain that AUPs will be available in Manchester.

Before cancelling, have a very clear conversation with BA just to see what the conditions and refund looks like. Also see if they can calculate a straightforward fare upgrade to see if CE is different from the POUG price. You can also - very, very carefully - look a the Cancellation Options under Manage My Booking. Do not fill your address in anywhere, and do not go too far past the front screens. But normally it will show how much you will get back, and then you can do the maths from there.
Old Jun 12, 19, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
I cannot see it getting any cheaper and it's by far from certain that AUPs will be available in Manchester.

Before cancelling, have a very clear conversation with BA just to see what the conditions and refund looks like. You can also - very, very carefully - look a the Cancellation Options under Manage My Booking. Do not fill your address in anywhere, and do not go too far past the front screens. But normally it will show how much you will get back, and then you can do the maths from there.
Yes, if I decided to do so I'd give them a call to discuss first. Thanks so much for your help. I'll give it a thought! Coincidentally, on a flight recently from LIM to LGW, I got a POUG offer of £299 from WT to WT+. I got to the airport and the AUP was £129.
Old Jun 12, 19, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Do you think it may just be worth the risk to wait until I get to the airport on the day and ask?
Not really, like cws I personally doubt the plug/aup fees will go any lower than £139 on this route. For what itís worth, on CityFlyer flights Iíd never pay this for the upgrade but thatís just my personal take (I donít tend to check luggage, I get lounge access anyway where itís offered - there is none at jmk), seating is the same and I find the CityFlyer y catering decent.
Old Jun 12, 19, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
But thinking about £278 extra for something could have got for £158 seems a bit crazy.
Assuming that you could have got it for £79 per person extra back at the time that you booked the ticket, the cost of £139 per person probably simply reflects the fact that a change fee is payable on top of the fare difference. The change fee on this ticket is probably £60, and that would exactly account for the difference between £79 and £139.

There are a lot of people who don't buy a ticket in the cabin in which they really want to travel, in the hope that a POUG or an AUP will let them upgrade on the cheap. It's fine if you're prepared to play that game and take the risk that you'll never be able to upgrade on the cheap. The airline has a real incentive to make sure that you can't rely on it, otherwise everyone would simply always buy the cheaper ticket and then upgrade on the cheap. But if it doesn't work, then you either have to travel as booked, or you have to resign yourself to the fact that upgrading is going to cost more now than if you had just paid for the ticket in the higher cabin to begin with.
Old Jun 12, 19, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globaliser View Post
Assuming that you could have got it for £79 per person extra back at the time that you booked the ticket, the cost of £139 per person probably simply reflects the fact that a change fee is payable on top of the fare difference. The change fee on this ticket is probably £60, and that would exactly account for the difference between £79 and £139.

There are a lot of people who don't buy a ticket in the cabin in which they really want to travel, in the hope that a POUG or an AUP will let them upgrade on the cheap. It's fine if you're prepared to play that game and take the risk that you'll never be able to upgrade on the cheap. The airline has a real incentive to make sure that you can't rely on it, otherwise everyone would simply always buy the cheaper ticket and then upgrade on the cheap. But if it doesn't work, then you either have to travel as booked, or you have to resign yourself to the fact that upgrading is going to cost more now than if you had just paid for the ticket in the higher cabin to begin with.
Absolutely right. And that's what I'll do Suck it up or stay where I am. Either or, it's hardly going to kill me