Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2019, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Quick answers to FAQ:

Help! What do I do now?
Most importantly, don't panic and don't do anything in haste. Read these FAQ. Read the thread, particularly the posts starting from the time that the strike dates were announced. Identify your options. Think about what works for you. Then take action. If you do anything in haste, you may have thrown away good options, or you may have thrown away money that you needn't have spent.

NOTE: Some emails have been sent out by mistake notifying the cancellation of flights on 8 September and other dates. If your booking still looks OK in MMB then you don't need to take further action. A cancelled flight should be shown in MMB with struck-through text. If your flight details are not struck through, then it probably hasn't actually been cancelled. You could check ba.com to see whether BA is still taking reservations for the flight in question. If so, then the flight has not been cancelled. You may also try checking on ExpertFlyer, if you have access, to see whether your flight appears still to be operating and whether BA is still taking reservations. However, some afternoon/evening flights on 8 September have genuinely been cancelled. See main thread for details.

Has a strike been called yet?
Yes. BALPA, the pilots' union, has voted in favour of strike action, and the Court of Appeal has rejected BA's submission to have the poll set aside, so the legal process is now over. The two parties went back into talks after the legal proceedings and those talks were expected to continue into the week of 5 August.

BALPA on 23 Aug announced strikes on Monday 9 September Tuesday 10 September and Friday 27 September.

Any further strikes normally require 2 weeks notice under UK legislation.

What flights may be affected?
LHR and LGW based flights. Not LCY or STN flights. Both cabin and flight crew are in dispute with BA, but the pilots (captains, senior first officers, first officers) are closest to strike action.

How long would a strike last?
The initial strikes are for two days the a single day, with normal working in between. Any other strikes could be of any length. It would be rare in the UK for there to be a full time strike.

What would happen to my flights if it is a strike day?
A range of options have been announced, see post 1551 below for more information: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...l#post31451055

and BA Trade Site guidance here: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...kba?faqid=7594

Rebooking is now allowed on Iberia, AA, Finnair, JAL and Qatar. Within Europe EI and Vueling are also allowed. This is for both revenue and redemption flights.

and the FAQ on BA.com here (this includes information on BA Holidays bookings which are substantially different): https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...st-information

Can I do anything with an existing booking now?
Yes. Your options are different depending on whether your flights are currently showing as cancelled or not. See the links above.

What about Heathrow staff - aren't their strikes planned there too?
Yes there is a separate dispute at the moment between Heathrow Airport (HAL) and their staff such as those who operate the security checkpoints. See the separate thread on the issue.

Am I protected by EC261 if there is a problem?
You are always covered by the Right to Care provisions of Regulation EC261. You could potentially be able to claim compensation for delays, cancellations and downgrades caused by BA staff action too, but not for HAL strikes (for cancellations only if there is flight is less than 14 day’s notice). See the main EC261 thread in the BA Forum Dashboard.
Print Wikipost

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2019, 3:50 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by A P Yu
Is there chance of disruption before a strike with pilots cutting back on overtime? This has caused BA problems in previous summers where they have relied on overtime to meet the requirements of the intense summer schedule
Sometimes to opposite can happen, if staff know they aren't going to be paid for X days while on strike, they will look to pick up some additional overtime in the months before the strike to ensure they have enough money to pay the bills.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 6:06 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Originally Posted by milkyway88
Sometimes to opposite can happen, if staff know they aren't going to be paid for X days while on strike, they will look to pick up some additional overtime in the months before the strike to ensure they have enough money to pay the bills.
I can see this being the case for the two stripers. But the threes and fours may enjoy additional time at their summer houses.
EDIwanderer likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by andimilk
Logistically, if a flight such as Middleofthebus's LHR-PEK flight on the 4th August operates as normal and the strike is set for the 5th, and the next flight crew are part of the strike, does the plane then just sit at PEK? Presumably this would cost BA in airport costs etc. Also, if the pilots are refusing to fly, I assume that BA would only put them up in appropriate accommodation for operational reasons and any striking pilots away from home would have to pay for their own food and board? In somewhere like Beijing I guess staying in China for longer than expected may have visa implications...

This may have been discussed before with CC strikes etc but I'm really interested to know how a strike like this would affect those crew who end up away from base on strike days.
In the past, and I see no reason for this to change, crews do not undertake IA downroute. There are many sound reasons for this. what BA chooses to do with its aircraft may well depend on whether there are places to park aircraft at Heathrow.
flygirl68, rapidex and andimilk like this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 7:23 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
And there's more: 4,000 Heathrow workers, Unite members, with strikes announced for 26/27 July and 5/6, 23/24 August. "could poternitally shut down the airport."

https://unitetheunion.org/news-event...n-pay-dispute/
Old Jul 12, 2019, 7:39 am

Great. We fly out on the 5th.
I understand unions wanting to have as much leverage as possible so announcing dates to disrupt as many family holidays as possible, but it's still a cr8ppy thing to do over the school holidays.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 7:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Delays and disruption (albeit less serious than LHR) could be looming at LGW too as a result of potential industrial action. Not good for summer travellers.

https://unitetheunion.org/news-event...r-poverty-pay/
Old Jul 12, 2019, 8:22 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
I note that the commenting Unite Regional Coordinating Officer in the Unite article is a Mr Wayne King, which is unfortunate.
alex67500 and djbenedict like this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by 225SG
Great. We fly out on the 5th.
I understand unions wanting to have as much leverage as possible so announcing dates to disrupt as many family holidays as possible, but it's still a cr8ppy thing to do over the school holidays.
As has been stated - likely dozens of times already in this thread - the 5th is the earliest possible date for action. It is not a confirmed date.

Strike dates won't be known until the 22nd July at the earliest and that assumes that BALPA announces dates as soon as they announce the ballot result on that date.. If they announce dates on the 23rd for example the earliest strikes can take place is 14 days from that and so on

Pilots (and cabin crew) also have families and their own holidays will also be affected.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 8:37 am

Programs: BA & Accor Gold | Hilton Diamond
Yes but if the Unite workers strike for a better deal from HAL as per Post #304 then the pilot strike could be rendered slightly irrelevant if the whole airport can't function and one of those is pencilled in for the 5th.

If anything, this would make me think the BALPA strike would not be on the 5th so as to make sure the strike has maximum impact and therefore puts maximum pressure on the employer.

Last edited by andimilk; Jul 12, 2019 at 8:47 am Reason: Correct Link
Old Jul 12, 2019, 8:51 am

Programs: Gold, Some red card and some hotel cards.
I have nothing against people striking but I do think that they should be accountable for their actions, and any 3rd party who is affected should be allowed to seek compensation from those sttiking causing them financial loses or stress This is for any situation not just this one.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by andimilk
Yes but if the Unite workers strike for a better deal from HAL as per Post #304 then the pilot strike could be rendered slightly irrelevant if the whole airport can't function and one of those is pencilled in for the 5th.

If anything, this would make me think the BALPA strike would not be on the 5th so as to make sure the strike has maximum impact and therefore puts maximum pressure on the employer.
Yes exactly, this is what I am referring to. The pilots strike I am not worried about (yet) as nothings confirmed and from what I have read the pilots do actually have a legitimate grievance. i.e being told that stick with BA in the bad times and you will get rewarded in the good times and then that not happening.

Heathrow have said contingency plans could be in place for the ground staff but not sure there still would not be a raft of cancellations.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 9:20 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Flying Blue Gold, BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by pauldb
And there's more: 4,000 Heathrow workers, Unite members, with strikes announced for 26/27 July and 5/6, 23/24 August. "could poternitally shut down the airport."

https://unitetheunion.org/news-event...n-pay-dispute/
Ugh...flying to LHR on the 25th, arriving on the 26th and then transfer to AMS. Then return flight home is on the 6th from Heathrow..... what are BA's responsibilities if Heathrow is indeed shut down? Wondering if possible to cancel my flights and fly AF/KLM instead. Ironically, I'd changed to BA this year after all the uncertainty last summer with potential AF strikes...
Old Jul 12, 2019, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by SonTech
I have nothing against people striking but I do think that they should be accountable for their actions, and any 3rd party who is affected should be allowed to seek compensation from those sttiking causing them financial loses or stress This is for any situation not just this one.
I can't imagine a scenario that is more "against people striking". Your suggestion effectively outlaws strikes through punitive financial consequences.
flygirl68, nancypants and Knickam like this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 9:51 am

I take it you are an advocate of slave labour.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 9:58 am

Programs: BA BLUE BADGE

Yes I can see that working well against people earning around £10 an hour.
flygirl68, cbagent and nancypants like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.