Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Old Jul 20, 2019, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Quick answers to FAQ:

Help! What do I do now?
Most importantly, don't panic and don't do anything in haste. Read these FAQ. Read the thread, particularly the posts starting from the time that the strike dates were announced. Identify your options. Think about what works for you. Then take action. If you do anything in haste, you may have thrown away good options, or you may have thrown away money that you needn't have spent.

NOTE: Some emails have been sent out by mistake notifying the cancellation of flights on 8 September and other dates. If your booking still looks OK in MMB then you don't need to take further action. A cancelled flight should be shown in MMB with struck-through text. If your flight details are not struck through, then it probably hasn't actually been cancelled. You could check ba.com to see whether BA is still taking reservations for the flight in question. If so, then the flight has not been cancelled. You may also try checking on ExpertFlyer, if you have access, to see whether your flight appears still to be operating and whether BA is still taking reservations. However, some afternoon/evening flights on 8 September have genuinely been cancelled. See main thread for details.

Has a strike been called yet?
Yes. BALPA, the pilots' union, has voted in favour of strike action, and the Court of Appeal has rejected BA's submission to have the poll set aside, so the legal process is now over. The two parties went back into talks after the legal proceedings and those talks were expected to continue into the week of 5 August.

BALPA on 23 Aug announced strikes on Monday 9 September Tuesday 10 September and Friday 27 September.

Any further strikes normally require 2 weeks notice under UK legislation.

What flights may be affected?
LHR and LGW based flights. Not LCY or STN flights. Both cabin and flight crew are in dispute with BA, but the pilots (captains, senior first officers, first officers) are closest to strike action.

How long would a strike last?
The initial strikes are for two days the a single day, with normal working in between. Any other strikes could be of any length. It would be rare in the UK for there to be a full time strike.

What would happen to my flights if it is a strike day?
A range of options have been announced, see post 1551 below for more information: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...l#post31451055

and BA Trade Site guidance here: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...kba?faqid=7594

Rebooking is now allowed on Iberia, AA, Finnair, JAL and Qatar. Within Europe EI and Vueling are also allowed. This is for both revenue and redemption flights.

and the FAQ on BA.com here (this includes information on BA Holidays bookings which are substantially different): https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...st-information

Can I do anything with an existing booking now?
Yes. Your options are different depending on whether your flights are currently showing as cancelled or not. See the links above.

What about Heathrow staff - aren't their strikes planned there too?
Yes there is a separate dispute at the moment between Heathrow Airport (HAL) and their staff such as those who operate the security checkpoints. See the separate thread on the issue.

Am I protected by EC261 if there is a problem?
You are always covered by the Right to Care provisions of Regulation EC261. You could potentially be able to claim compensation for delays, cancellations and downgrades caused by BA staff action too, but not for HAL strikes (for cancellations only if there is flight is less than 14 days notice). See the main EC261 thread in the BA Forum Dashboard.
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 11, 2019, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis Presidents Club

Having read a report in today's press that the Gatwick crew are in the mood for industrial (in)action and the longer standing disquiet at LHR it will be interesting to see how things pan out over the next three to six months.

Any bets on what will happen?
Old Jun 11, 2019, 1:45 pm

Not again surely. They lost last time so please leave it a few more years before taking on BA.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Which press? Post s link!
Old Jun 11, 2019, 2:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
Confirmed, pilots and crew at Gatwick.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...k-Airport.html

https://www.mirror.co.uk/travel/news...-call-16500571
Old Jun 11, 2019, 2:19 pm

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
​A row over rosters could trigger a strike affecting all British Airways flights from Gatwick, the Unite union has warned.​​​​​​
https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/gatwick-airport-strike-ba-cabin-crew-flight-cancelled-unite-union-a8953081.html
Old Jun 11, 2019, 3:35 pm

As far as Im aware theres currently three ongoing, unresolved disputes.
- LGW Cabin Crew re the introduction of the nightstop LAS trips as well as other issues.
- MF Cabin Crew re the lack of a scheduling agreement and the companys refusal to enter talks regarding this.
- The company-wide pay dispute including Unite, BALPA and GMB.

Itll be an interesting few months.
johnaalex and nancypants like this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 3:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Greenpen
Not again surely. They lost last time so please leave it a few more years before taking on BA.
They got some, but not all that they wanted, and the lost perks were reinstated. Definitely not a loss, and BA didnt win anything.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 4:13 pm

Programs: Gold, Some red card and some hotel cards.
What gets me with unions in general is that they always want more when a company does well but as soon as the company hits trouble they don't want to do anything to help.

Last edited by SonTech; Jun 11, 2019 at 4:35 pm
Old Jun 11, 2019, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by SonTech
What gets me with unions in general is that they always want more when a company does well but as soon as the company hits trouble they don't want to do anything to help.
This isnt the case.

We all took a significant pay cut (plus productivity changes) during the banking crisis.

Last edited by Jumbodriver; Jun 11, 2019 at 5:03 pm
Old Jun 11, 2019, 4:50 pm

My understanding is that the pilots took a significant pay cut when the airline was in trouble, but BA has not reversed this since the airline has returned to profitability.

it's not going to be popular here, but if you think BA treats its passengers badly, imagine how it might treat its staff. A strike might well be what BA deserves...
Old Jun 11, 2019, 6:10 pm

Hi, long time reader but first poster. First and foremost, thank you to all for the informative posts. I've learned a lot from reading them.

​​​​​​The last time that I had the opportunity to fly BA (to Warsaw) they went of strike and my flight was cancelled a couple of times. Could not go on my annual holiday last year through no fault of my own. Now I'm due to fly out on 14 July and they're threatening to strike again! I need to read the EC261 thread now. Last time BA said that I was not entitled to compensation due to strikes being out of their control.

​​​​​

Last edited by Warszawiak; Jun 11, 2019 at 7:41 pm Reason: Corrected typo
Old Jun 11, 2019, 6:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Whilst it cost BA some money, sadly the last strike didn’t have the effect of snowmageddon or the IT meltdown with worst case being a few amalgamated flights, QR operated short haul aircraft and a couple of other charters. If the unions combine their strike action so pilots and crew co-ordinate might make BA think a bit more if more flights are grounded and disruption is bigger.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
That is absolute nonsense.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 6:24 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club - Demoted to Bronze and re-promoted to Silver alongside AC Elite 50K (gold) in 2022
All of the three disputes IMHO are worthy and have validity. As the ex COO of a transit organisation in Canada - I have learnt that the vast majority of crew, pilots (operators) or whoever are real people with real lives and family and care about doing a good job. (despite some of my reviews!!)
I can't comment on the pilot's cause, but Gatwick crew have been left behind for years in terms of T&Cs under the guise of competing with Norwegian. Speaking of which the same argument has been used for mixed fleet. I have to say, I am not a fan of the MF quality of service in business / first class, but they work hard, are pleasant and work under way worse conditions. I know they choose to do this, but that doesn't give BA licence to take the p**s. Worst salary, more days at work, different hotels, stricter standards on appearance and performance, airport standby, few rest days after long flights, and more nimble rostering doing the mix of SH / LH which must mean they can be pushed closed to the limits of any agreement.
The fact these disputes have been grumbling away in the background shows arrogance and a lack of humility by the BA Management negotiating team. Removing perks were merely petty, and showed such a bad misuse of power in a punitive way. That doesn't mean that crew or pilots should get everything, but some tacit acknowledgement and movement towards the middle ground is a win / win situation and shows a mature and ethical HR team and policy. . Ignoring employees who are not happy does not end well for anyone - management or staff. Unhappy staff will often reflect this in the service they offer. (I can remember the many comments during the cuts of - "Sir - I agree these cuts have gone too far but they won't listen to us?")

A progressive BA in it's 100th year should listen to employees and reward them for their performance over the years. BA100 is meant to be positive year for the company, customers and staff. It also makes good business sense to retain, motivate and incentivise staff (I wonder what the turnover is on mixed fleet) with some concessions traded off against items on the company shopping list. If BA end up in a strike situation, it will be a failure of BA to manage employees and deal with long term issues. Sure, the unions and employees have a role to play but it takes two to tango.

PS - out here in Toronto, BA100 is a damp squib. No marmite, no IPA in the lounge, no livered 747s - just an Air Belgium A340 operating one of the heathrow flights, an outsourced lounge and a reduction in seat numbers and reward flights. Bah humbug!
Old Jun 11, 2019, 7:50 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by MFCC
- LGW Cabin Crew re the introduction of the nightstop LAS trips as well as other issues.
Purely out of curiosity - what is the issue with the LAS nightstop from LGW? IIRC the LHR service has crew returning the following day as well?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.