Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2019, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Quick answers to FAQ:

Help! What do I do now?
Most importantly, don't panic and don't do anything in haste. Read these FAQ. Read the thread, particularly the posts starting from the time that the strike dates were announced. Identify your options. Think about what works for you. Then take action. If you do anything in haste, you may have thrown away good options, or you may have thrown away money that you needn't have spent.

NOTE: Some emails have been sent out by mistake notifying the cancellation of flights on 8 September and other dates. If your booking still looks OK in MMB then you don't need to take further action. A cancelled flight should be shown in MMB with struck-through text. If your flight details are not struck through, then it probably hasn't actually been cancelled. You could check ba.com to see whether BA is still taking reservations for the flight in question. If so, then the flight has not been cancelled. You may also try checking on ExpertFlyer, if you have access, to see whether your flight appears still to be operating and whether BA is still taking reservations. However, some afternoon/evening flights on 8 September have genuinely been cancelled. See main thread for details.

Has a strike been called yet?
Yes. BALPA, the pilots' union, has voted in favour of strike action, and the Court of Appeal has rejected BA's submission to have the poll set aside, so the legal process is now over. The two parties went back into talks after the legal proceedings and those talks were expected to continue into the week of 5 August.

BALPA on 23 Aug announced strikes on Monday 9 September Tuesday 10 September and Friday 27 September.

Any further strikes normally require 2 weeks notice under UK legislation.

What flights may be affected?
LHR and LGW based flights. Not LCY or STN flights. Both cabin and flight crew are in dispute with BA, but the pilots (captains, senior first officers, first officers) are closest to strike action.

How long would a strike last?
The initial strikes are for two days the a single day, with normal working in between. Any other strikes could be of any length. It would be rare in the UK for there to be a full time strike.

What would happen to my flights if it is a strike day?
A range of options have been announced, see post 1551 below for more information: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...l#post31451055

and BA Trade Site guidance here: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...kba?faqid=7594

Rebooking is now allowed on Iberia, AA, Finnair, JAL and Qatar. Within Europe EI and Vueling are also allowed. This is for both revenue and redemption flights.

and the FAQ on BA.com here (this includes information on BA Holidays bookings which are substantially different): https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...st-information

Can I do anything with an existing booking now?
Yes. Your options are different depending on whether your flights are currently showing as cancelled or not. See the links above.

What about Heathrow staff - aren't their strikes planned there too?
Yes there is a separate dispute at the moment between Heathrow Airport (HAL) and their staff such as those who operate the security checkpoints. See the separate thread on the issue.

Am I protected by EC261 if there is a problem?
You are always covered by the Right to Care provisions of Regulation EC261. You could potentially be able to claim compensation for delays, cancellations and downgrades caused by BA staff action too, but not for HAL strikes (for cancellations only if there is flight is less than 14 day’s notice). See the main EC261 thread in the BA Forum Dashboard.
Print Wikipost

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2019, 11:00 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Flying Blue Gold, BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Brisbane Road

Save your phone bills, seriously. You’ll be fine this Friday don’t worry about it. I’m flying a similar route and I’m not in the least worried apart from building some extra time to get through the airport
I've been calling the YouFirst line via Skype so not too much damage to the phone bill =) But thank you, I will try not to worry, its just hard for someone prone to overthinking!
Old Jul 23, 2019, 11:17 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by lily23
Thanks, that's a good tip, so I never have to hear the phrase " there are contingency plans in place" ever again =)

On another note...thinking about preemptively booking myself LCY to AMS. As long as I can get to London (SEA to LHR departs 25th, arrives on the 26th), I figure I should be able to figure out how to get to AMS, even Eurostar if needed.
Yes, you also have LGW, LTN, SEN, STN, Eurostar or even the various ferry services such as Harwich, AMS is an easy one overall, there will be many ways to get there. I'd do nothing other than watch your phone, if it's a BA.com booking you'll get a text message if it is cancelled.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by Tim_T

you are safe

BA have been give right to appeal which will be heard on Friday or Monday. BALPA have said they won’t issue strike dates until after this, so the two week potential clock will start from the conclusion on the appeal.

we fly on the 8th as well
👍 I missed three days of our last Florida holiday through the Gatwick drone chaos. I don’t mind if I’m delayed coming back but was worried about losing accommodation costs (again) if delayed getting out there.

Has it it been confirmed that the appeal will only be heard as early as Friday or Monday?
Old Jul 23, 2019, 11:35 am

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by Globaliser
No - see posts above.I can't remember BA pilots going on strike before.
yes I suppose Staines was pre-BA

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brit...ays_Flight_548
Old Jul 23, 2019, 11:45 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Apologies if I have missed it, but is the HAL strike on Friday a "possible" strike, or a "definite" strike? My partner will be doing FCO-LHR-YVR on Friday, with a connection to Westjet in Canada on a separate ticket from YVR, so I'm curious what the chances of disruption to his trip are?
Old Jul 23, 2019, 11:49 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Jagboi
Apologies if I have missed it, but is the HAL strike on Friday a "possible" strike, or a "definite" strike? My partner will be doing FCO-LHR-YVR on Friday, with a connection to Westjet in Canada on a separate ticket from YVR, so I'm curious what the chances of disruption to his trip are?
A strike can be - and often are - called off at the last moment. So to that extent it remains a possible strike. But as we head nearer the day the chances of a settlement or deferral start to recede. But there's no legal barrier (etc) to prevent a walkout at this point.
Jagboi and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 11:56 am

Programs: BA Executive Club (lowly Blue but with MUCCI, apparently)
Originally Posted by travellingowl

👍 I missed three days of our last Florida holiday through the Gatwick drone chaos. I don’t mind if I’m delayed coming back but was worried about losing accommodation costs (again) if delayed getting out there.

Has it it been confirmed that the appeal will only be heard as early as Friday or Monday?
Let's hope for Monday. With the two weeks requirement, that clears me for both the inbound to LHR on the Tuesday and the onwared flight to OSL on the Saturday. Then all I'd have to do is worry about getting us home on the 19th.

From my point of view, any strike action would be fine after the 19th or for just a few days sometime between the 11th and the 18th.

I just last week moved a bunch of our accommodations to pre-paid. It saved about $450 all-told - enough to pay for the travel insurance that it looks like I may have to use for the first time ever!
Old Jul 23, 2019, 11:56 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Flying Blue Gold, BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by travellingowl

According to this source:
https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-a9017816.html

"Mr Strutton confirmed to The Independent that no strike will be announced before next Monday, 29 July. The union must give BA at least two weeks’ notice, so the earliest any industrial could begin is 13 August."
geo1005, mwalsh and travellingowl like this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 1:02 pm

So i've spent the last 4 years saving Avios and finally booked F for me and my mate using an Amex 2 for 1 on the 14th Aug LHR to JFK, and 20th JFK to LHR. If i get unlucky and they strike when i am due to fly is it cancelled by BA then i am refunded points + voucher plus cash for the surcharges or do i just get cash back ? Do i get compensation from BA? I've got no idea what happens.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 1:05 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 2ilent8cho
So i've spent the last 4 years saving Avios and finally booked F for me and my mate using an Amex 2 for 1 on the 14th Aug LHR to JFK, and 20th JFK to LHR. If i get unlucky and they strike when i am due to fly is it cancelled by BA then i am refunded points + voucher plus cash for the surcharges or do i just get cash back ? Do i get compensation from BA? I've got no idea what happens.
the choices in previous strikes have typically been full refund or rebook for different dates.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 1:06 pm

You definitely get your Avios and cash back and I believe you’ll get your voucher back too, but I assume that the original expiry date will apply so you could lose it if you can’t use it before it expires.

Compensation? I’m not sure.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 1:09 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Virgin Flying Club Silver
Am I right in thinking that if the strike starts the day I’m due to fly back from the US it won’t effect me as the pilots already down route fly back to base as normal ?
Old Jul 23, 2019, 1:12 pm

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by mwalsh
Let's hope for Monday. With the two weeks requirement, that clears me for both the inbound to LHR on the Tuesday and the onwared flight to OSL on the Saturday. Then all I'd have to do is worry about getting us home on the 19th.

From my point of view, any strike action would be fine after the 19th or for just a few days sometime between the 11th and the 18th.

I just last week moved a bunch of our accommodations to pre-paid. It saved about $450 all-told - enough to pay for the travel insurance that it looks like I may have to use for the first time ever!
I’m sure that those of us travelling on the 17th don’t quite share your point of view
RichH6109 likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Chris9642
Am I right in thinking that if the strike starts the day I’m due to fly back from the US it won’t effect me as the pilots already down route fly back to base as normal ?
In past strikes, cabin crew who were downroute on strike days did not take part in the strike and completed their trips as normal. Although I personally can't remember BA pilots striking, ISTR that there were good reasons for the cabin crew to take that approach and AIUI the same would apply to any pilots who do strike.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by Chris9642
Not necessarily, if the pilots are striking BA may not want all the aircraft returning to LHR. They would have no parking places for them. BA may cancel flights pro actively at their discretion. Or they may not and believe enough flights will leave on strike day to not be a problem. Or best of all BA may make a sensible offer and settle.
nancypants likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.