Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2019, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Quick answers to FAQ:

Help! What do I do now?
Most importantly, don't panic and don't do anything in haste. Read these FAQ. Read the thread, particularly the posts starting from the time that the strike dates were announced. Identify your options. Think about what works for you. Then take action. If you do anything in haste, you may have thrown away good options, or you may have thrown away money that you needn't have spent.

NOTE: Some emails have been sent out by mistake notifying the cancellation of flights on 8 September and other dates. If your booking still looks OK in MMB then you don't need to take further action. A cancelled flight should be shown in MMB with struck-through text. If your flight details are not struck through, then it probably hasn't actually been cancelled. You could check ba.com to see whether BA is still taking reservations for the flight in question. If so, then the flight has not been cancelled. You may also try checking on ExpertFlyer, if you have access, to see whether your flight appears still to be operating and whether BA is still taking reservations. However, some afternoon/evening flights on 8 September have genuinely been cancelled. See main thread for details.

Has a strike been called yet?
Yes. BALPA, the pilots' union, has voted in favour of strike action, and the Court of Appeal has rejected BA's submission to have the poll set aside, so the legal process is now over. The two parties went back into talks after the legal proceedings and those talks were expected to continue into the week of 5 August.

BALPA on 23 Aug announced strikes on Monday 9 September Tuesday 10 September and Friday 27 September.

Any further strikes normally require 2 weeks notice under UK legislation.

What flights may be affected?
LHR and LGW based flights. Not LCY or STN flights. Both cabin and flight crew are in dispute with BA, but the pilots (captains, senior first officers, first officers) are closest to strike action.

How long would a strike last?
The initial strikes are for two days the a single day, with normal working in between. Any other strikes could be of any length. It would be rare in the UK for there to be a full time strike.

What would happen to my flights if it is a strike day?
A range of options have been announced, see post 1551 below for more information: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...l#post31451055

and BA Trade Site guidance here: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...kba?faqid=7594

Rebooking is now allowed on Iberia, AA, Finnair, JAL and Qatar. Within Europe EI and Vueling are also allowed. This is for both revenue and redemption flights.

and the FAQ on BA.com here (this includes information on BA Holidays bookings which are substantially different): https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...st-information

Can I do anything with an existing booking now?
Yes. Your options are different depending on whether your flights are currently showing as cancelled or not. See the links above.

What about Heathrow staff - aren't their strikes planned there too?
Yes there is a separate dispute at the moment between Heathrow Airport (HAL) and their staff such as those who operate the security checkpoints. See the separate thread on the issue.

Am I protected by EC261 if there is a problem?
You are always covered by the Right to Care provisions of Regulation EC261. You could potentially be able to claim compensation for delays, cancellations and downgrades caused by BA staff action too, but not for HAL strikes (for cancellations only if there is flight is less than 14 day’s notice). See the main EC261 thread in the BA Forum Dashboard.
Print Wikipost

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2019, 10:16 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Tim_T

yeah, probably the 8th - the day I fly on holiday

hopefully everyone will get back around the table and resolve this so that innocent passengers are not used as bargaining pawns
Tactically you might think they would set a date quickly, even if not ultimately used, to try and force management back to the negotiating table.

Still not exactly optimistic about my own flights on the 7th. Keeping a close eye on the Squeezyjet alternative, currently about £1400 for the 4 of us...
Old Jul 22, 2019, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Hawker_Hunter
The Independent saying the earliest strike date would be the 6th August?

I'm supposed to be flying JFK-LHR that day...
This is where the bloggers and the media just confuse people and cause often unnecessary worry

That is the earliest possible date for a strike but not that there would be a strike on that date. BALPA has to give 14 days notice. every day they wait to announce strike dates pushes the date 14 days into the future.

Until (a) dates are announced and (b) BA decides what flights it can / will operate it's not something I would unduly worry about.
wrp96, Tobias-UK and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 10:26 am

Programs: BA Silver
An update about Industrial action came up on my phone when I opened the BA app but I clicked 'ok' before I could read it by mistake.

Anyone want to open their app and let us know what it says?
Old Jul 22, 2019, 10:27 am

Programs: Mucci des Ancients Matelots
I'm flying to SFO on August 17th for a little holiday.

Even if this ends up being a right royal PITA for me, I support you guys. you're great and to get 93% support form 90% turnout shows there's something more than just your usual TFL tube strike here. That weight of support (hopefully) will bring BA back to the table.

Good luck.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 10:30 am

Programs: BA Silver
If any dates are confirmed, I wonder how flexible BA will be on getting people onto other carriers? I imagine if there is space, they would be? I'm not particularly worried as I'm fairly certain there'll be a resolution but I can't help but wonder how flexible they'll be with the majority of my travel over the summer which are reward flights/avios booked
Old Jul 22, 2019, 10:32 am

Programs: Mucci des Ancients Matelots
Originally Posted by Brisbane Road
An update about Industrial action came up on my phone when I opened the BA app but I clicked 'ok' before I could read it by mistake.

Anyone want to open their app and let us know what it says?

BA app capture
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 10:57 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...st-information

Threat of industrial action

22 July 2019

We’re very disappointed that the pilot union, BALPA, has chosen to disrupt our customers’ travel plans – including the summer holidays of thousands of families and friends – with potential strike action.

We have yet to receive strike dates from BALPA, so there are no changes to our schedule at this time.

We remain open to working with BALPA to reach agreement, as we have been since December.

Our proposed pay offer of 11.5 per cent over three years is fair, and the Unite and GMB trade unions, which represent nearly 90 per cent of British Airways staff, have already recommended this offer to their members.

We’re pursuing every avenue to find a solution to protect your travel plans and we urge BALPA to return to talks as soon as possible.

We’re very sorry for the disruption this potential strike action will cause.

Please check this page for the latest updates.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 11:02 am

I think someone might be doing a Prime order for a new high vis vest tonight!
Old Jul 22, 2019, 11:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Plat
I support the pilots (and cabin crew) 100%; BA management are appalling and treat their front line staff like ****. However I honestly do not understand the threat to strike during the school holidays. Of course it has maximum potential impact but, to be frank, a full scale strike has huge impact at any time of the year. The school summer holidays just feels spiteful to me and only serves to turn popular opinion against the strike (and, as a disclaimer, I do not have children nor am I travelling much during this period!).
jp-mco, ppp909 and Brisbane Road like this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by peck
I support the pilots (and cabin crew) 100%; BA management are appalling and treat their front line staff like ****. However I honestly do not understand the threat to strike during the school holidays. Of course it has maximum potential impact but, to be frank, a full scale strike has huge impact at any time of the year. The school summer holidays just feels spiteful to me and only serves to turn popular opinion against the strike (and, as a disclaimer, I do not have children nor am I travelling much during this period!).
I was thinking the same thing. The general feeling here on FT seems to be that this industrial action is supported. Outside FT however people seem to be angry that an 11.5% pay deal over 3 years has been offered and rejected and that the strike has been orchestrated to disrupt school summer holiday travel. I fear there may be very little general public support for BA staff on this one.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 11:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Well I have flights on the 9th and 11th August. To and from Madrid on the A350.

I guess there is a chance Iberia operate more flights on the route to minimise disruption?
Old Jul 22, 2019, 11:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by Deltus
We still have the HAL strike to look forward to on Friday though!
From what I gather HAL Firefighters will also join the second and thirds LHR strike dates so that’s a potential game changer, interesting 2 weeks ahead across the board.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 11:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by GaxxyFlyer

BA app capture
yeah got the same and I am travelling on 26th and 27th July
Old Jul 22, 2019, 11:56 am

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Originally Posted by all ahead full
yeah got the same and I am travelling on 26th and 27th July
I have flights in the last half of August, and I'm getting it as well. I'd imagine that pretty much anyone using the app is getting the message via the app though.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 11:59 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Pascoe
I think a wiki on this would be a great idea.
Just FYI, anybody with over 90 posts can create a Wiki.

C-W-S seems to have done it this time.
wrp96 and nancypants like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.