Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2019, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Quick answers to FAQ:

Help! What do I do now?
Most importantly, don't panic and don't do anything in haste. Read these FAQ. Read the thread, particularly the posts starting from the time that the strike dates were announced. Identify your options. Think about what works for you. Then take action. If you do anything in haste, you may have thrown away good options, or you may have thrown away money that you needn't have spent.

NOTE: Some emails have been sent out by mistake notifying the cancellation of flights on 8 September and other dates. If your booking still looks OK in MMB then you don't need to take further action. A cancelled flight should be shown in MMB with struck-through text. If your flight details are not struck through, then it probably hasn't actually been cancelled. You could check ba.com to see whether BA is still taking reservations for the flight in question. If so, then the flight has not been cancelled. You may also try checking on ExpertFlyer, if you have access, to see whether your flight appears still to be operating and whether BA is still taking reservations. However, some afternoon/evening flights on 8 September have genuinely been cancelled. See main thread for details.

Has a strike been called yet?
Yes. BALPA, the pilots' union, has voted in favour of strike action, and the Court of Appeal has rejected BA's submission to have the poll set aside, so the legal process is now over. The two parties went back into talks after the legal proceedings and those talks were expected to continue into the week of 5 August.

BALPA on 23 Aug announced strikes on Monday 9 September Tuesday 10 September and Friday 27 September.

Any further strikes normally require 2 weeks notice under UK legislation.

What flights may be affected?
LHR and LGW based flights. Not LCY or STN flights. Both cabin and flight crew are in dispute with BA, but the pilots (captains, senior first officers, first officers) are closest to strike action.

How long would a strike last?
The initial strikes are for two days the a single day, with normal working in between. Any other strikes could be of any length. It would be rare in the UK for there to be a full time strike.

What would happen to my flights if it is a strike day?
A range of options have been announced, see post 1551 below for more information: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...l#post31451055

and BA Trade Site guidance here: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...kba?faqid=7594

Rebooking is now allowed on Iberia, AA, Finnair, JAL and Qatar. Within Europe EI and Vueling are also allowed. This is for both revenue and redemption flights.

and the FAQ on BA.com here (this includes information on BA Holidays bookings which are substantially different): https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...st-information

Can I do anything with an existing booking now?
Yes. Your options are different depending on whether your flights are currently showing as cancelled or not. See the links above.

What about Heathrow staff - aren't their strikes planned there too?
Yes there is a separate dispute at the moment between Heathrow Airport (HAL) and their staff such as those who operate the security checkpoints. See the separate thread on the issue.

Am I protected by EC261 if there is a problem?
You are always covered by the Right to Care provisions of Regulation EC261. You could potentially be able to claim compensation for delays, cancellations and downgrades caused by BA staff action too, but not for HAL strikes (for cancellations only if there is flight is less than 14 day’s notice). See the main EC261 thread in the BA Forum Dashboard.
Print Wikipost

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2019, 2:32 am

Originally Posted by SWISSBOBBY
Perhaps something constructive such as I put in my reply.
I thought your reply was rather good. I was just wondering how jp-mco would have responded. If the BA pilots go out on strike I would imagine there will be chaos at LHR with passengers being told to stay home and police preventing entry to T5.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 2:37 am

Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Blue
Originally Posted by rapidex
I thought your reply was rather good. I was just wondering how jp-mco would have responded. If the BA pilots go out on strike I would imagine there will be chaos at LHR with passengers being told to stay home and police preventing entry to T5.
As they should know if their flight is on a possible strike day or not 2 weeks before... and if they are armed with their alternatives they can look at avoiding the date if BA will let them... that would not necessarily be on a day when access to T5 might be restricted.
alpenlupe likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 2:38 am

Programs: BAEC
If the BA pilots go out on strike I would imagine there will be chaos at LHR with passengers being told to stay home and police preventing entry to T5.
That will probably be the case once the strike is in effect but not straight after it's announced which was when I was suggesting I might take a trip to the airport to try sort things out.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 2:39 am

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by jp-mco
Is this how we now respond to people who are worried the holiday they've likely been looking forward to will be disrupted by industrial action? This was a horrible way to respond.
to be fair I think expectation management is important in these situations. Rephrase as “prepare yourself for the possibility that your holiday will most likely not happen”?
Old Jul 17, 2019, 2:40 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, *A Silver, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, Karahi Express
https://www.travelsupermarket.com/en...srupt-holiday/

"You’ve found your ideal holiday, bought travel insurance, picked up your currency, and perhaps even started packing your luggage in anticipation of your long-awaited break. Then, you hear news of strike action that could affect your flight. Now what?
First, try not to panic. Strike action can be called by individual airlines, groups of airports, air traffic controllers, baggage handlers, airport firefighters… the list goes on and the chances are that you and your travelling companions might not even notice any action.
And that’s if the proposed action even goes ahead – strikes can be called off, often at the last minute, so it's important to stay abreast of the situation in the lead up to your trip. This is not, however, always the case. Sometimes these walkouts can leave travellers facing long delays and the misery of cancelled flights.Whether you sympathise with the workers or not, if a strike is going to disrupt, or is disrupting, your holiday, it helps to know your rights. Here we guide you through this potentially difficult situation." more in the link above ...

Also a point about Travel Insurance from the same link

Will my travel insurance pay out?

This will depend on when you bought your flight and what type of policy you have. If a ballot to strike had not been called when you booked your flight and your policy covers against strike action, you will be reimbursed accordingly (for the delay and other additional costs). If industrial action was already in the offing and you booked flights, the insurer might argue that you would have been aware of a strike and are therefore unlikely to cough up. Always check the small print and get in touch with your insurance provider if it’s not clear.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 2:42 am

Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Blue
To get back on to topic, the only thing any of us can do at the moment is.

Look at options, wait and see, then activate options as necessary. I know it is not very reasuring. But if you we have planned we are ahead of a lot of other who have not.
wrp96, alpenlupe and BAEC like this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 2:43 am

Programs: BA & Accor Gold | Hilton Diamond
Wink

... and police preventing entry to T5.
But what about those poor Iberia passengers...?
Old Jul 17, 2019, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
NO dates have been announced yet.

I am getting a little fed up of the media and people not recognising that and just assuming that BA will be on strike on the 5th August!

The union have to give 14 days notice of strike dates. I don't see them announcing the dates when they announce the ballot results next week but will leave it a couple of dates. After all BALPA want leverage against BA not to spoil peoples holidays (and pilots have families and go on holiday too!)

A bit of contingency planning is OK but to basically say to a poster worried about their holiday 'you ain't flying' is just wrong and not helpful.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 2:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by andimilk
During the IT meltdown .... Police were there preventing entry. However there was one indirect entry point which had been overlooked. DM me if interested. I was able to get in and .... wow .... it was chaos inside .... people sleeping everywhere. Situation outside was just as bad.
andimilk likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 2:49 am

Originally Posted by andimilk
They are the reason I suggested police limiting access to T5, so they can get in. You will note I made no comment about access to T3 which is shared by BA and many others.
andimilk likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 2:53 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Iberia does fly from T5 and not from T3. These days, since T5 became a fully multi-tenant terminal, Iberia are using their own DCS and check-in desks.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 2:56 am

Programs: BA Silver
Usual scaremongering rife I see. There's also the usual over-panicking.

I've got loads of plans this summer on BA and I'm pretty chilled about it. BA knows the absolute unmitigated disaster a strike would cause and as do the pilots (and their holidays, friends of theirs holidays etc etc). Unless dates are actually set in stone, what are people so frantic about? Just wait and see how it plays out and consider all the hard facts when you do so.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 2:57 am

Re the point about travel insurance. For those of us who are not UK residents, any idea what the policy would likely be? (Beyond that insurance avoids paying out whenever possible)

i had booked my BA flights before any whiff of a strike was mentioned, however I suspect some of my non-BA Heathrow flights were booked after the HAL strike was announced. Had I not been looking at FT I doubt I would have heard about either. Most Australian pax would not be following UK news and industrial relations enough to know what was going on with the like

wondering how much you are expected to browse the news for potential holiday disruptions?

ETA just had a scroll through smarttraveller (AU equivalent of fco.gov.uk travel advice) and there is absolutely no mention at all of any strikes or travel disruptions
Old Jul 17, 2019, 3:00 am
Suspended

Re the Insurance .... I believe the earlier date applies (The date "a ballot to strike" is called) rather than when the strike is announced.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 3:03 am

Originally Posted by BAEC
Re the Insurance .... I believe the earlier date applies (The date "a ballot to strike" is called) rather than when the strike is announced.
i should make clear i’m not worried for me, just wondering if anyone has an idea of the policy for non-UK pax using BA or LON?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.