Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2019, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Quick answers to FAQ:

Help! What do I do now?
Most importantly, don't panic and don't do anything in haste. Read these FAQ. Read the thread, particularly the posts starting from the time that the strike dates were announced. Identify your options. Think about what works for you. Then take action. If you do anything in haste, you may have thrown away good options, or you may have thrown away money that you needn't have spent.

NOTE: Some emails have been sent out by mistake notifying the cancellation of flights on 8 September and other dates. If your booking still looks OK in MMB then you don't need to take further action. A cancelled flight should be shown in MMB with struck-through text. If your flight details are not struck through, then it probably hasn't actually been cancelled. You could check ba.com to see whether BA is still taking reservations for the flight in question. If so, then the flight has not been cancelled. You may also try checking on ExpertFlyer, if you have access, to see whether your flight appears still to be operating and whether BA is still taking reservations. However, some afternoon/evening flights on 8 September have genuinely been cancelled. See main thread for details.

Has a strike been called yet?
Yes. BALPA, the pilots' union, has voted in favour of strike action, and the Court of Appeal has rejected BA's submission to have the poll set aside, so the legal process is now over. The two parties went back into talks after the legal proceedings and those talks were expected to continue into the week of 5 August.

BALPA on 23 Aug announced strikes on Monday 9 September Tuesday 10 September and Friday 27 September.

Any further strikes normally require 2 weeks notice under UK legislation.

What flights may be affected?
LHR and LGW based flights. Not LCY or STN flights. Both cabin and flight crew are in dispute with BA, but the pilots (captains, senior first officers, first officers) are closest to strike action.

How long would a strike last?
The initial strikes are for two days the a single day, with normal working in between. Any other strikes could be of any length. It would be rare in the UK for there to be a full time strike.

What would happen to my flights if it is a strike day?
A range of options have been announced, see post 1551 below for more information: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...l#post31451055

and BA Trade Site guidance here: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...kba?faqid=7594

Rebooking is now allowed on Iberia, AA, Finnair, JAL and Qatar. Within Europe EI and Vueling are also allowed. This is for both revenue and redemption flights.

and the FAQ on BA.com here (this includes information on BA Holidays bookings which are substantially different): https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...st-information

Can I do anything with an existing booking now?
Yes. Your options are different depending on whether your flights are currently showing as cancelled or not. See the links above.

What about Heathrow staff - aren't their strikes planned there too?
Yes there is a separate dispute at the moment between Heathrow Airport (HAL) and their staff such as those who operate the security checkpoints. See the separate thread on the issue.

Am I protected by EC261 if there is a problem?
You are always covered by the Right to Care provisions of Regulation EC261. You could potentially be able to claim compensation for delays, cancellations and downgrades caused by BA staff action too, but not for HAL strikes (for cancellations only if there is flight is less than 14 day’s notice). See the main EC261 thread in the BA Forum Dashboard.
Print Wikipost

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2019, 10:12 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I am not particularly worried about this. There is no way of using any of the ground staff members as pilots, and given it's summer and they can't easily put passengers on other carriers or have spare capacity to juggle things, I'd say BA will compromise before the pilots actually go on strike.
Tobias-UK and missdimeaner like this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 10:47 am

A lot of fuss about nothing. BA will not risk a pilot strike.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by kaizenflying
A lot of fuss about nothing. BA will not risk a pilot strike.
I agree with you. The sensible thing for BA would be to make a realistic offer and avoid all the worry for their customers.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 11:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by rapidex
I agree with you. The sensible thing for BA would be to make a realistic offer and avoid all the worry for their customers.
Which no doubt is what they planned to do all along. They have to be seen to show them who's boss after all.

Enjoy your retirement....there's a lack of crop sprayers here if you ever get bored.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Which no doubt is what they planned to do all along. They have to be seen to show them who's boss after all.

Enjoy your retirement....there's a lack of crop sprayers here if you ever get bored.
I used to share a flat with a crop sprayer, until he got killed flying into power cables. I think i'll pass on that kind offer and go for a drink with Uncle T instead.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 3:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by MFCC

CC haven’t accepted the deal anyway. Unite has recommended we do, though MFU have rejected it. I believe BASSA have recommended acceptance but not 100% sure.
Thanks for clarification.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 5:34 pm

So I’m booked on a flight on the 4th August from LHR > PEK but as an overnight flight landing on the 5th. Given I think the strike could start on the 5th could my flight be cancelled?

I’m assuming the alternative of the pilots taking off but ‘downing tools’ at midnight UK time is not likely!!!!
Old Jul 11, 2019, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Middleofthebus
So I’m booked on a flight on the 4th August from LHR > PEK but as an overnight flight landing on the 5th. Given I think the strike could start on the 5th could my flight be cancelled?

I’m assuming the alternative of the pilots taking off but ‘downing tools’ at midnight UK time is not likely!!!!
If your flight takes off on the 4th then it won't be affected by any POSSIBLE strike. Suggesting they will just downtools at midnight is just laughable.

The earliest a strike could take place is the 5th but that is predicated on BALPA announcing that date immediately the ballot results is announced as they have to give 14 days notice. I really don't see that happening.

Until the ballot results is known and POSSIBLE dates are announced no one knows anything.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by Middleofthebus

Not possible for your flight to be cancelled by the pilots strike, that would be unlawful as the proper notice would not have been given. BA could cancel your flight for any number of reasons though.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 1:11 am

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
If your flight takes off on the 4th then it won't be affected by any POSSIBLE strike. Suggesting they will just downtools at midnight is just laughable.

The earliest a strike could take place is the 5th but that is predicated on BALPA announcing that date immediately the ballot results is announced as they have to give 14 days notice. I really don't see that happening.

Until the ballot results is known and POSSIBLE dates are announced no one knows anything.
hopefully there’ll be no qantas-esque grounding of the airline (in fight stuff wasn’t made to divert but planes that had taxied to the runway were made to go back and offload)
Old Jul 12, 2019, 1:50 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Is there chance of disruption before a strike with pilots cutting back on overtime? This has caused BA problems in previous summers where they have relied on overtime to meet the requirements of the intense summer schedule
Old Jul 12, 2019, 2:16 am

Originally Posted by A P Yu
Is there chance of disruption before a strike with pilots cutting back on overtime? This has caused BA problems in previous summers where they have relied on overtime to meet the requirements of the intense summer schedule
There has already been at least 1 citiflyer flight canceled due to no crew available, and I would bet LHR/LGW are getting tight on crew, so that cannot be ruled out.
alex67500 and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 2:41 am

Programs: BA & Accor Gold | Hilton Diamond
Logistically, if a flight such as Middleofthebus's LHR-PEK flight on the 4th August operates as normal and the strike is set for the 5th, and the next flight crew are part of the strike, does the plane then just sit at PEK? Presumably this would cost BA in airport costs etc. Also, if the pilots are refusing to fly, I assume that BA would only put them up in appropriate accommodation for operational reasons and any striking pilots away from home would have to pay for their own food and board? In somewhere like Beijing I guess staying in China for longer than expected may have visa implications...

This may have been discussed before with CC strikes etc but I'm really interested to know how a strike like this would affect those crew who end up away from base on strike days.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 2:45 am

Originally Posted by andimilk
Logistically, if a flight such as Middleofthebus's LHR-PEK flight on the 4th August operates as normal and the strike is set for the 5th, and the next flight crew are part of the strike, does the plane then just sit at PEK? Presumably this would cost BA in airport costs etc. Also, if the pilots are refusing to fly, I assume that BA would only put them up in appropriate accommodation for operational reasons and any striking pilots away from home would have to pay for their own food and board? In somewhere like Beijing I guess staying in China for longer than expected may have visa implications...

This may have been discussed before with CC strikes etc but I'm really interested to know how a strike like this would affect those crew who end up away from base on strike days.
It would cause far more problems for BA for the flight to return to LHR as normal. There are not enough gates or parking spaces for all BA's aircraft. If they all come back then LHR grinds to a halt.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 2:47 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by A P Yu
That'd actually be a good strategy for BALPA. Start turning the screw to avoid bigger disruption later...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.