Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2019, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Quick answers to FAQ:

Help! What do I do now?
Most importantly, don't panic and don't do anything in haste. Read these FAQ. Read the thread, particularly the posts starting from the time that the strike dates were announced. Identify your options. Think about what works for you. Then take action. If you do anything in haste, you may have thrown away good options, or you may have thrown away money that you needn't have spent.

NOTE: Some emails have been sent out by mistake notifying the cancellation of flights on 8 September and other dates. If your booking still looks OK in MMB then you don't need to take further action. A cancelled flight should be shown in MMB with struck-through text. If your flight details are not struck through, then it probably hasn't actually been cancelled. You could check ba.com to see whether BA is still taking reservations for the flight in question. If so, then the flight has not been cancelled. You may also try checking on ExpertFlyer, if you have access, to see whether your flight appears still to be operating and whether BA is still taking reservations. However, some afternoon/evening flights on 8 September have genuinely been cancelled. See main thread for details.

Has a strike been called yet?
Yes. BALPA, the pilots' union, has voted in favour of strike action, and the Court of Appeal has rejected BA's submission to have the poll set aside, so the legal process is now over. The two parties went back into talks after the legal proceedings and those talks were expected to continue into the week of 5 August.

BALPA on 23 Aug announced strikes on Monday 9 September Tuesday 10 September and Friday 27 September.

Any further strikes normally require 2 weeks notice under UK legislation.

What flights may be affected?
LHR and LGW based flights. Not LCY or STN flights. Both cabin and flight crew are in dispute with BA, but the pilots (captains, senior first officers, first officers) are closest to strike action.

How long would a strike last?
The initial strikes are for two days the a single day, with normal working in between. Any other strikes could be of any length. It would be rare in the UK for there to be a full time strike.

What would happen to my flights if it is a strike day?
A range of options have been announced, see post 1551 below for more information: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...l#post31451055

and BA Trade Site guidance here: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...kba?faqid=7594

Rebooking is now allowed on Iberia, AA, Finnair, JAL and Qatar. Within Europe EI and Vueling are also allowed. This is for both revenue and redemption flights.

and the FAQ on BA.com here (this includes information on BA Holidays bookings which are substantially different): https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...st-information

Can I do anything with an existing booking now?
Yes. Your options are different depending on whether your flights are currently showing as cancelled or not. See the links above.

What about Heathrow staff - aren't their strikes planned there too?
Yes there is a separate dispute at the moment between Heathrow Airport (HAL) and their staff such as those who operate the security checkpoints. See the separate thread on the issue.

Am I protected by EC261 if there is a problem?
You are always covered by the Right to Care provisions of Regulation EC261. You could potentially be able to claim compensation for delays, cancellations and downgrades caused by BA staff action too, but not for HAL strikes (for cancellations only if there is flight is less than 14 day’s notice). See the main EC261 thread in the BA Forum Dashboard.
Print Wikipost

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2019, 4:29 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jp-mco
Can BA forcibly rebook you to an earlier travel date? For example, we have 4 seats booked in BA First from Miami at the end of August. We don't want to cut our holiday short. I would rather stay longer than be forced to return home early.
The guidelines have usually been rebooking for a date a set number of days either side of the strike days so I think you should have some flexibility if there is a strike which affects you.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 4:30 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Can BA forcibly rebook you to an earlier travel date? For example, we have 4 seats booked in BA First from Miami at the end of August. We don't want to cut our holiday short. I would rather stay longer than be forced to return home early.
See point 4. You are normally given a range of dates before and after the original date, and are normally OK to rebook return dates to maintain the holiday length. Whether this is viable or not depends on the details but to Florida I really would have no concerns, or indeed for anywhere in North America. What would you do now anyway?
Old Jul 10, 2019, 4:34 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
What would you do now anyway?
Sorry, what do you mean?
Old Jul 10, 2019, 4:34 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
No good when there’s only 2 flights a week to your chosen destination and your accommodation is booked either side of your intended holiday dates and you have zero flexibility on dates 🙄
Old Jul 10, 2019, 4:48 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Sorry, what do you mean?
It was an indirect suggestion to leave it a few weeks, until at least a few days after the result of any ballots. Unless you are on flexible tickets there is very little anyone can do now.
jp-mco, nancypants and george77300 like this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 4:51 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It was an indirect suggestion to leave it a few weeks, until at least a few days after the result of any ballots. Unless you are on flexible tickets there is very little anyone can do now.
Oh I wasn't planning on doing anything - I'm secretly hoping that they say come home two days later! We're in a great hotel in Miami so that would suit me perfectly.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 4:53 am

Very helpful comments upthread, @corporate-wage-slave - thanks.

I hope that BA and the unions can reach an agreement that all sides feel is fair and addresses the concerns, before it gets to actual industrial action (as opposed to balloting for it).
wrp96 and Tobias-UK like this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 5:24 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, EY Silver, AF/KL Silver
Just to clarify, the pilots strike wouldn't affect LCY flights?
Old Jul 10, 2019, 5:36 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by darkside1957
Just to clarify, the pilots strike wouldn't affect LCY flights?
Yes, the issue is between BALPA and BA, not Cityflier. But for European flights, it may impact loads in LCY as people get rebooked...
george77300 likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 6:21 am

If the BA pilots go on strike, it will be pretty solid leading to large numbers of BA flights being canceled. The opportunity to rebook to other carriers or charter will be somewhat limited as the summer bookings are already very high. There is perhaps a chance of Bringing in Qatar again, but it would be of limited help. The bigger problem would be where to put all the grounded BA aircraft. There simply is not enough room at LHR. BA knows all this of course, and in the end I would be confident of a settlement being reached. The alternative is a disaster of epic proportions, which would cost far more than settling.
T8191 likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 6:36 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, EY Silver, AF/KL Silver
Originally Posted by alex67500
Yes, the issue is between BALPA and BA, not Cityflier. But for European flights, it may impact loads in LCY as people get rebooked...
Thanks. So it's pretty safe in booking a LCY flight!
Old Jul 10, 2019, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
No good when there’s only 2 flights a week to your chosen destination and your accommodation is booked either side of your intended holiday dates and you have zero flexibility on dates 🙄
And that's a no win situation. Crossing fingers for you especially that if a strike happens (hoping that a fair resolution can be reached) it doesn't affect you.
Tiger_lily likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 7:08 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
This is me....
I am hoping to be going to the Seychelles.
Hey Ho..
Tiger_lily and wrp96 like this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 10:34 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
We have no data about how good the BA negotiators might be. All the old hands have left. So we might have to put up with unusual behaviours from both sides.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 10:59 am

Programs: BA
Skin in the game of what’s currently completely hypothetical disruption. Awkwardly three CW flights to MCO (two reward, one revenue; on separate PNRs) in mid August, back late August. Helpfully friends we share the villa with arrive and leave before we do, so we have flexibility in arriving and departing already sorted. Sadly they are also on BA, so could be messed about.

I’m not flapping until there’s more concrete disruption, and that it will impact my journey.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.