Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2019, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Quick answers to FAQ:

Help! What do I do now?
Most importantly, don't panic and don't do anything in haste. Read these FAQ. Read the thread, particularly the posts starting from the time that the strike dates were announced. Identify your options. Think about what works for you. Then take action. If you do anything in haste, you may have thrown away good options, or you may have thrown away money that you needn't have spent.

NOTE: Some emails have been sent out by mistake notifying the cancellation of flights on 8 September and other dates. If your booking still looks OK in MMB then you don't need to take further action. A cancelled flight should be shown in MMB with struck-through text. If your flight details are not struck through, then it probably hasn't actually been cancelled. You could check ba.com to see whether BA is still taking reservations for the flight in question. If so, then the flight has not been cancelled. You may also try checking on ExpertFlyer, if you have access, to see whether your flight appears still to be operating and whether BA is still taking reservations. However, some afternoon/evening flights on 8 September have genuinely been cancelled. See main thread for details.

Has a strike been called yet?
Yes. BALPA, the pilots' union, has voted in favour of strike action, and the Court of Appeal has rejected BA's submission to have the poll set aside, so the legal process is now over. The two parties went back into talks after the legal proceedings and those talks were expected to continue into the week of 5 August.

BALPA on 23 Aug announced strikes on Monday 9 September Tuesday 10 September and Friday 27 September.

Any further strikes normally require 2 weeks notice under UK legislation.

What flights may be affected?
LHR and LGW based flights. Not LCY or STN flights. Both cabin and flight crew are in dispute with BA, but the pilots (captains, senior first officers, first officers) are closest to strike action.

How long would a strike last?
The initial strikes are for two days the a single day, with normal working in between. Any other strikes could be of any length. It would be rare in the UK for there to be a full time strike.

What would happen to my flights if it is a strike day?
A range of options have been announced, see post 1551 below for more information: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...l#post31451055

and BA Trade Site guidance here: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...kba?faqid=7594

Rebooking is now allowed on Iberia, AA, Finnair, JAL and Qatar. Within Europe EI and Vueling are also allowed. This is for both revenue and redemption flights.

and the FAQ on BA.com here (this includes information on BA Holidays bookings which are substantially different): https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...st-information

Can I do anything with an existing booking now?
Yes. Your options are different depending on whether your flights are currently showing as cancelled or not. See the links above.

What about Heathrow staff - aren't their strikes planned there too?
Yes there is a separate dispute at the moment between Heathrow Airport (HAL) and their staff such as those who operate the security checkpoints. See the separate thread on the issue.

Am I protected by EC261 if there is a problem?
You are always covered by the Right to Care provisions of Regulation EC261. You could potentially be able to claim compensation for delays, cancellations and downgrades caused by BA staff action too, but not for HAL strikes (for cancellations only if there is flight is less than 14 day’s notice). See the main EC261 thread in the BA Forum Dashboard.
Print Wikipost

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2019, 3:53 am

Originally Posted by rapidex
I think you have just upset all the cabin crew calling Waterhorse that
Indeed, the cabin crew are my esteemed and hugely respected colleagues and friends and I would be proud to be part of that community.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
And we would be happy to accept you into our community Waterhorse.
I am pleased that our unions are showing solidarity and even though we are at different stages of our discussions with BA we are still standing together.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 5:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by Kevlondon
Way to miss the point. How many rotations have BA operated since the last incident like this? 5,000? 10,000? 100,000? The point I'm making is that most cabin crew will never face this kind of situation in their entire working career. And should they be unfortunate enough to experience it, they are fully trained to deal with it. And no doubt the crew were excellent and professional, but it doesn't change the fact that 99% or more of the flights any cabin crew will take will not require any of this training - they will be serving drinks and meals, and providing customer care. And being paid appropriately for that role.
well I know there was an incident on a flight to MUC on 17/18 June where the crew also fought tirelessly to give a passenger CPR. Fortunately on this case due to their actions the passenger survived against all the odds. The fact that they can save a life, deliver a baby, fight a fire are skills more than most of us have in our careers. To add to that they can also serve me a gin and tonic with a smile as well makes them pretty unique and special.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 7:36 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Whilst not a crew issue, but a food issue, the beancounters at BA should aspire to providing Weatherspoons' food quality. At least it is edible, and you can take it back for a refund if it is bad.
cauchy likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by KeaneJohn

well I know there was an incident on a flight to MUC on 17/18 June where the crew also fought tirelessly to give a passenger CPR. Fortunately on this case due to their actions the passenger survived against all the odds. The fact that they can save a life, deliver a baby, fight a fire are skills more than most of us have in our careers. To add to that they can also serve me a gin and tonic with a smile as well makes them pretty unique and special.
In fairness, many people on the daily front lines of life and death -- paramedics, nurses, mental health workers, firefighters, police, and so on -- earn appalling salaries, and in many cases less than BA cabin crew members.

(And to be clear, my comment isn't a criticism of the BA unions. Rather, it's a comment on the UK economy, and perhaps these strikes could give a taste of what's in store for the next few years ...)
Old Jul 7, 2019, 11:53 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
The BBC is reporting talks with Balpa at Acas, commencing today:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48901566

British Airways will begin talks with its pilots on Monday to avert a potentially damaging summer strike.

Pilots have rejected a pay increase worth 11.5% over three years, which the airline says is "fair and generous".

However, the British Airline Pilots' Association (Balpa) argues that its members deserve a better offer, as BA has been making healthy profits.

The two sides will meet at the conciliation service Acas.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 12:26 am

There goes your payrise Boys and Girls. BA can no longer afford it due to the data breach fine
Thighsofsteel likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 12:47 am

Originally Posted by rapidex
There goes your payrise Boys and Girls. BA can no longer afford it due to the data breach fine
The maximum fine was calculated as C £500million, I’m sure that was factored in to the financial plan and that BA are now enjoying a £320 million bonus.
GlasgowBlue likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 1:28 am

Originally Posted by Waterhorse

The maximum fine was calculated as C £500million, I’m sure that was factored in to the financial plan and that BA are now enjoying a £320 million bonus.
Probably earned back in a few days of summer as well^
Old Jul 8, 2019, 2:35 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club RIP,BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Globaliser
You could say the same about most of the emergency training given to most pilots.

In fact, some recent events show how poor are some pilots' skills of a routine everyday nature, and yet they still managed to do their everyday jobs until the everyday button-pushing no longer worked. (Not BA pilots, just in case that needs spelling out.) Yet the logical extension of your argument is that pilots should be paid appropriately for button-pushing, and not for the emergency skills on which we might one day suddenly depend.

No thank you, as far as I am concerned.
Sad to say that these sort of comments are straying into the same territory as the US trumpeters for Boeing who’ve been saying that US pilots wouldn’t have crashed the Max
Old Jul 8, 2019, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by YorkieFlyer
Sad to say that these sort of comments are straying into the same territory as the US trumpeters for Boeing who’ve been saying that US pilots wouldn’t have crashed the Max
Er, no. If you have been following recent events, you'll know of the non-MAX events to which I allude.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 7:12 am

Programs: BA
Think it through !

I sympathise with the crews and sometimes the threat of strike action has to be on the table to get the best results. The only thing I would ask is that they think it through carefully what they are trying to achieve as public sentiment still counts for a lot and lets face it has been severely strained with BA over the last few years. August is the peak month for many of BAs regular flyers using those avios and vouchers for family holidays (myself included) and peer pressure from the OH over another disrupted holiday may just break that loyalty. If it’s the only course of action left to you then exercise it strategically - by all means get the best result from management but not at the expense of the loyal flyers (and their families) - I’ve had almost 5000+ tier points of faultless and great travel the last 12 months - will count for nothing if the summer hols are ruined.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
Originally Posted by Robert Balloch
I sympathise with the crews and sometimes the threat of strike action has to be on the table to get the best results. The only thing I would ask is that they think it through carefully what they are trying to achieve as public sentiment still counts for a lot and lets face it has been severely strained with BA over the last few years. August is the peak month for many of BAs regular flyers using those avios and vouchers for family holidays (myself included) and peer pressure from the OH over another disrupted holiday may just break that loyalty. If it’s the only course of action left to you then exercise it strategically - by all means get the best result from management but not at the expense of the loyal flyers (and their families) - I’ve had almost 5000+ tier points of faultless and great travel the last 12 months - will count for nothing if the summer hols are ruined.
That sentiment also needs to be considered by the Management.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 10:32 pm
sam

Programs: Qantas Gold; BA Silver; Virgin Australia Platinum; Virgin Atlantic Gold
Strike

Apologies if this thread exists. I couldn't find.

What was BA’s policy in the event of strike cancellations last time? I have four Club World seats from Sydney to Singapore on 14th (Qantas Rewards) and one First seat on 16th (Avios Reward). Might they re-book me onto another flight? Are they likely to allow me to cancel without penalty (albeit the penalty is minimal). If they cancel within 14 days will they pay compensation?
Old Jul 9, 2019, 10:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum Amb
Slightly sensational title. There is no strike yet, ACAS talks between BA and BALPA have broken down. Pilot's are to be balloted. Dependant on the result there would be a period of time before any strikes could be scheduled.

There is a thread about it somewhere, apologies I am posting from my phone otherwise I would link it.

Bri

EDIT
Above relates to the post immediately above mine which started off as a separate thread before being merged.

Last edited by hanmer; Jul 9, 2019 at 11:00 pm Reason: To make sense after threads merged.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.