Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2019, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Quick answers to FAQ:

Help! What do I do now?
Most importantly, don't panic and don't do anything in haste. Read these FAQ. Read the thread, particularly the posts starting from the time that the strike dates were announced. Identify your options. Think about what works for you. Then take action. If you do anything in haste, you may have thrown away good options, or you may have thrown away money that you needn't have spent.

NOTE: Some emails have been sent out by mistake notifying the cancellation of flights on 8 September and other dates. If your booking still looks OK in MMB then you don't need to take further action. A cancelled flight should be shown in MMB with struck-through text. If your flight details are not struck through, then it probably hasn't actually been cancelled. You could check ba.com to see whether BA is still taking reservations for the flight in question. If so, then the flight has not been cancelled. You may also try checking on ExpertFlyer, if you have access, to see whether your flight appears still to be operating and whether BA is still taking reservations. However, some afternoon/evening flights on 8 September have genuinely been cancelled. See main thread for details.

Has a strike been called yet?
Yes. BALPA, the pilots' union, has voted in favour of strike action, and the Court of Appeal has rejected BA's submission to have the poll set aside, so the legal process is now over. The two parties went back into talks after the legal proceedings and those talks were expected to continue into the week of 5 August.

BALPA on 23 Aug announced strikes on Monday 9 September Tuesday 10 September and Friday 27 September.

Any further strikes normally require 2 weeks notice under UK legislation.

What flights may be affected?
LHR and LGW based flights. Not LCY or STN flights. Both cabin and flight crew are in dispute with BA, but the pilots (captains, senior first officers, first officers) are closest to strike action.

How long would a strike last?
The initial strikes are for two days the a single day, with normal working in between. Any other strikes could be of any length. It would be rare in the UK for there to be a full time strike.

What would happen to my flights if it is a strike day?
A range of options have been announced, see post 1551 below for more information: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...l#post31451055

and BA Trade Site guidance here: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...kba?faqid=7594

Rebooking is now allowed on Iberia, AA, Finnair, JAL and Qatar. Within Europe EI and Vueling are also allowed. This is for both revenue and redemption flights.

and the FAQ on BA.com here (this includes information on BA Holidays bookings which are substantially different): https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...st-information

Can I do anything with an existing booking now?
Yes. Your options are different depending on whether your flights are currently showing as cancelled or not. See the links above.

What about Heathrow staff - aren't their strikes planned there too?
Yes there is a separate dispute at the moment between Heathrow Airport (HAL) and their staff such as those who operate the security checkpoints. See the separate thread on the issue.

Am I protected by EC261 if there is a problem?
You are always covered by the Right to Care provisions of Regulation EC261. You could potentially be able to claim compensation for delays, cancellations and downgrades caused by BA staff action too, but not for HAL strikes (for cancellations only if there is flight is less than 14 day’s notice). See the main EC261 thread in the BA Forum Dashboard.
Print Wikipost

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2019, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by andymcdonnell
Swell. Due to fly to US on 3rd July
Theres absolutely no way you will be disrupted. Timescale is too short.

Last edited by Jumbodriver; Jun 19, 2019 at 8:54 am
Old Jun 19, 2019, 8:48 am

If they’re balloting in 7 days, how soon would any strike likely to be?
Ballot to start in 7 days
Time for members to vote
Time for union to count votes & declare result
2 weeks notice of any strike action
Old Jun 19, 2019, 8:53 am

Programs: BAEC blue dust
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Both bases.
What about LCY? I'm assuming BA CityFlyer wouldn't be affected but I'm double-checking just in case...
Old Jun 19, 2019, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I don’t think so.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 8:56 am

I don’t think so.
Do you support this industrial action?
Old Jun 19, 2019, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I support our claim for being paid fairly.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 9:09 am

I support our claim for being paid fairly.
I don't wish to infer anything from your response but am I therefore to understand that you don't believe 11.5% over 3 years is fair?
kingstontoon likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not compared with the immoral bonuses that are being paid to our management.
prof, worldtrav, lhrpete and 15 others like this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 9:24 am

At face value 11.5% over 3 years seems like a very good offer, probably better than most private sector workers will enjoy. But considering the antisocial hours, relatively low starting salaries of crew and some of the .... they’ve to put up with, maybe 3.8% per year on average isn’t enough
nancypants and spaninan like this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 9:30 am

Not compared with the immoral bonuses that are being paid to our management.
I appreciate your position. That said it's hard for a passenger to support industrial action which has been orchestrated to inflict maximum disruption when it might affect them. I am one of the people in that position. I suspect that many families (who already have to pay a premium to travel during school holidays) will not be so supportive of this industrial action especially when they find out that an 11.5% increase over the next 3 years has already been offered. In the wider private sector context 11.5% is generous - maybe not for a job with unsociable hours but that is the nature of the industry.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 9:32 am

At face value 11.5% over 3 years seems like a very good offer, probably better than most private sector workers will enjoy. But considering the antisocial hours, relatively low starting salaries of crew and some of the .... they’ve to put up with, maybe 3.8% per year on average isn’t enough
Good point, but the antisocial hours haven't changed during the last year, so should already be compensated for that.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
If they’re balloting in 7 days, how soon would any strike likely to be?
Swell. Due to fly to US on 3rd July
3rd July will be safe due to the times required for (a) giving 7 days notice of the ballot (b) the time taken for the ballot to physically occur - 14 days due to the nature of BAs business (c) the notice period for actual strike action to take place (7 days)

Those 3 amount to 4 weeks minimum in total. Even then actual strike action does not have to take place immediately. Remember they are wanting to use the threat of a ballot to get BA to improve the offer and a threat of a strike can often do that.
Diver Boy likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
(c) the notice period for actual strike action to take place (7 days)
This was upped to 14 days in 2017
KeaneJohn likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 9:35 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Making zero comment in any direction about the strike but here are the customer guidelines given to Contact Centres. So essentially don't bother calling up (yet), the following is all that they can say:

BALPA, the union for British Airways’ pilots has raised the prospect of a ballot for industrial action.
We urge them to join us for mediation with the conciliation service ACAS, to reach an agreement and protect hard-working families planning their summer breaks.

VERBAL GUIDE:
A ballot is just that, it does not mean that industrial action will go ahead.
We remain open and flexible to discuss our pay proposal with our colleagues and unions.

For agents to use on a reactive basis if asked by a customer:

IF ASKED: Does this mean strikes over the summer?
A ballot for industrial action is just that. It does not mean there will be disruption at this stage.
We believe our pay and benefits for pilots are among the best in the industry.
We remain open and flexible to discuss our pay proposal with our colleagues and unions, and urge them to join us for mediation with conciliation service ACAS to reach an agreement.

IF ASKED: If BA pilots strike, does that mean you are effectively grounded?
A ballot for industrial action is just that. It does not mean there will be disruption at this stage.
We believe our pay and benefits for pilots are among the best in the industry. We remain open and flexible to discuss our pay proposal with our colleagues and unions, and urge them to join us for mediation with conciliation service ACAS to reach an agreement.

IF PUSHED: We continually assess a range of factors which could affect our schedule, and put in contingency plans to ensure our customers reach their destinations.
Further updates will be published if and when they are received.
And we are about 3 weeks from hearing about a date for strikes, and this will give at least 2 weeks notice. Often a series of dates would be announced. There is an element of an annual rite for this in terms of strike ballots, it's not necessarily an annual rite for any industrial action.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 9:39 am

Programs: BA Gold; MB Ti; HH Diamond; IHG Plat; RR Gold
I would humbly remind all making this point that a part of BALPA's case here is for historical salary cuts following the recession. Based on what fellow FT members have said on this topic, BA had promised to repay what they gave up and has thus far failed to do so. Therefore significant quantities of salt should be taken when we comment on isolated pay offers from our armchairs, when not presented with the overall context.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.