Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2019, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Quick answers to FAQ:

Help! What do I do now?
Most importantly, don't panic and don't do anything in haste. Read these FAQ. Read the thread, particularly the posts starting from the time that the strike dates were announced. Identify your options. Think about what works for you. Then take action. If you do anything in haste, you may have thrown away good options, or you may have thrown away money that you needn't have spent.

NOTE: Some emails have been sent out by mistake notifying the cancellation of flights on 8 September and other dates. If your booking still looks OK in MMB then you don't need to take further action. A cancelled flight should be shown in MMB with struck-through text. If your flight details are not struck through, then it probably hasn't actually been cancelled. You could check ba.com to see whether BA is still taking reservations for the flight in question. If so, then the flight has not been cancelled. You may also try checking on ExpertFlyer, if you have access, to see whether your flight appears still to be operating and whether BA is still taking reservations. However, some afternoon/evening flights on 8 September have genuinely been cancelled. See main thread for details.

Has a strike been called yet?
Yes. BALPA, the pilots' union, has voted in favour of strike action, and the Court of Appeal has rejected BA's submission to have the poll set aside, so the legal process is now over. The two parties went back into talks after the legal proceedings and those talks were expected to continue into the week of 5 August.

BALPA on 23 Aug announced strikes on Monday 9 September Tuesday 10 September and Friday 27 September.

Any further strikes normally require 2 weeks notice under UK legislation.

What flights may be affected?
LHR and LGW based flights. Not LCY or STN flights. Both cabin and flight crew are in dispute with BA, but the pilots (captains, senior first officers, first officers) are closest to strike action.

How long would a strike last?
The initial strikes are for two days the a single day, with normal working in between. Any other strikes could be of any length. It would be rare in the UK for there to be a full time strike.

What would happen to my flights if it is a strike day?
A range of options have been announced, see post 1551 below for more information: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...l#post31451055

and BA Trade Site guidance here: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...kba?faqid=7594

Rebooking is now allowed on Iberia, AA, Finnair, JAL and Qatar. Within Europe EI and Vueling are also allowed. This is for both revenue and redemption flights.

and the FAQ on BA.com here (this includes information on BA Holidays bookings which are substantially different): https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...st-information

Can I do anything with an existing booking now?
Yes. Your options are different depending on whether your flights are currently showing as cancelled or not. See the links above.

What about Heathrow staff - aren't their strikes planned there too?
Yes there is a separate dispute at the moment between Heathrow Airport (HAL) and their staff such as those who operate the security checkpoints. See the separate thread on the issue.

Am I protected by EC261 if there is a problem?
You are always covered by the Right to Care provisions of Regulation EC261. You could potentially be able to claim compensation for delays, cancellations and downgrades caused by BA staff action too, but not for HAL strikes (for cancellations only if there is flight is less than 14 day’s notice). See the main EC261 thread in the BA Forum Dashboard.
Print Wikipost

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2019, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by anc305
Unions have their place , but when they throw in statements like " Exhausted Employees " it makes them sound like children. The FAs don't have a hard job in flight. They get to work in a clean , climate controlled atmosphere , in a comfortable uniform , and they get breaks and nappy time. The flights average @ 10:30 min from LGW-LAS-LGW . Then they get to rest 20+ hours in between ( which most don't take full advantage of ). This should not be exhausting to anyone that is here " FOR YOUR SAFETY " and physically fit. There are countless physically demanding jobs where 12+ hours are the standard in very hot / cold climates. The work clothing can be very hot and heavy and the breaks are short without any nappy time unless you want to get fired.

I am not trying to belittle the FAs job and I respect them but they need to muzzle some of their Union leadership. I would also like 2 nights in Las Vegas. If it is part of my contract , damn right I what it , but don't cheapen the debate with foolish assertions. I have been on both sides of union negotiations and statements have a big impact on public sentiment.
If you think LAS rotations are a holiday for cabin crew then you obviously haven’t been on a U.K.-LAS flight. Aside from the time difference, the flights themselves are typically hard work. My other half works as cabin crew for another airline that regularly serve LAS and it is by far her least favourite destination.

Dealing with moronic passengers for 10.5 hours, a 7/8 hour time difference and getting less than 24 hours rest is no holiday.

Maybe save judgement until you’ve worked as a long haul crew and can relate to the affects of regular time zone changes, working in a dry cabin atmosphere equivalent to 8000ft high and dealing with 300+ people’s every demands.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by steview111

If you think LAS rotations are a holiday for cabin crew then you obviously haven’t been on a U.K.-LAS flight. Aside from the time difference, the flights themselves are typically hard work. My other half works as cabin crew for another airline that regularly serve LAS and it is by far her least favourite destination.

Dealing with moronic passengers for 10.5 hours, a 7/8 hour time difference and getting less than 24 hours rest is no holiday.

Maybe save judgement until you’ve worked as a long haul crew and can relate to the affects of regular time zone changes, working in a dry cabin atmosphere equivalent to 8000ft high and dealing with 300+ people’s every demands.
Completely agree. LAS is my second least favourite destination only after BKK
flygirl68 and nancypants like this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Never been there and never want to go there as crew or a passenger.
If LGW go on strike it will just be a dress rehearsal for when LHR does.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by steview111

Originally Posted by MFCC

Completely agree. LAS is my second least favourite destination only after BKK
The responses to my post seem to miss my point. No one said the job was easy , just that there are jobs that are a lot more exhausting than being a long-haul FA . Some on this site would like folks to think the the job is akin to being on a prison chain gang , busting rocks in an Arizona quarry in August. Kind of dis-respectful to people who have very hard jobs. Sorry , I am a big supporter of folks that have to do the nasty , hot , dangerous jobs that are necessary in agriculture , construction , manufacturing etc. I've done most of them and ran the crews that do. Have a long haul FA put on a HAZMAT suit and clean out a slop oil tank in the Texas summer on a 12 hour shift. Then get back to me !
Qatar Airways likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 2:10 pm

Have a long haul FA put on a HAZMAT suit and clean out a slop oil tank in the Texas summer on a 12 hour shift. Then get back to me !
No you’re fine. I’ll stick to putting on my biohazard suit and dealing with a passenger who can’t stop vomiting and soiling her seat at 3am in the middle of a 12 hour flight thanks!
flygirl68, nancypants and spaninan like this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 2:39 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
The responses to my post seem to miss my point. No one said the job was easy , just that there are jobs that are a lot more exhausting than…
Not sure if your job is indeed cleaning the slop oil in TX, but whatever it is, imagine you were now told to do it with half the rest period.

It'd be silly for airlines to tell staff "Right, since oil slop workers work this hard, we're now free to ignore your contract conditions…"

Different jobs have different conditions and contracts. Your 'comparison' is an utter non-sequitur.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 6:12 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by MFCC

No you’re fine. I’ll stick to putting on my biohazard suit and dealing with a passenger who can’t stop vomiting and soiling her seat at 3am in the middle of a 12 hour flight thanks!
Ah, so people DO clean it sometimes
(I know the atmosphere is a bit tense in this thread, but this was a joke, just in case)
wrp96 and MFCC like this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
No one said the job was easy , just that there are jobs that are a lot more exhausting than being a long-haul FA.
You still sound like you have never worked as long-haul cabin crew, nor ever been close to anyone who has.

You may also have overlooked that cabin crew work in a safety-critical position, although maybe you prefer to think of them as airborne waiters and waitresses.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 8:33 am
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
I am very surprised there is not a larger outcry from all crew types especially in that BA restarted flights to Pakistan and the UK Foreign Office advises against travel to the region and BA are essentially putting both pilots and cabin crew lives at risk.
HMPS and nancypants like this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 8:45 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by icegirl
I am very surprised there is not a larger outcry from all crew types especially in that BA restarted flights to Pakistan and the UK Foreign Office advises against travel to the region and BA are essentially putting both pilots and cabin crew lives at risk.
This has been raised internally on numerous occasions...
flygirl68, icegirl and nancypants like this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 8:53 am
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
Originally Posted by Boeing77W

This has been raised internally on numerous occasions...
What was their response?
Old Jun 14, 2019, 9:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
The responses to my post seem to miss my point. No one said the job was easy , just that there are jobs that are a lot more exhausting than being a long-haul FA . Some on this site would like folks to think the the job is akin to being on a prison chain gang , busting rocks in an Arizona quarry in August. Kind of dis-respectful to people who have very hard jobs. Sorry , I am a big supporter of folks that have to do the nasty , hot , dangerous jobs that are necessary in agriculture , construction , manufacturing etc. I've done most of them and ran the crews that do. Have a long haul FA put on a HAZMAT suit and clean out a slop oil tank in the Texas summer on a 12 hour shift. Then get back to me !
I suspect the pay for that job would be considerably higher than cabin crew so not really a comparison.

What people forget especially for LGW crew is that with the 777s now 10 across in Y there is more work to do with the extra services due to the extra passengers which means even less rest on the flights and now with less rest down route. Remember the evacuation of the 777 that caught fire at LAS. I’d like my crew to be rested and ready to perform emergency safety procedures if necessary. The service of my G&T with a smile is second to that.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 10:11 am

It has been raised by many in the places where it matters. It has been raised vociferously and at the highest levels. Pilots and crew have raised their concerns where it is apt.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 12:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
...What people forget especially for LGW crew is that with the 777s now 10 across in Y there is more work to do with the extra services due to the extra passengers.... Remember the evacuation of the 777 that caught fire at LAS. I’d like my crew to be rested and ready to perform emergency safety procedures if necessary....
So that’s more passengers in an emergency wanting to grab their hand luggage and needing to be told to just evacuate the aircraft.
flygirl68 and nancypants like this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 1:45 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The FCO advises against travel to the 'Stans, tribal and the periphery of Pakistan, it advises against all but essential travel to places like Quetta and parts of Sindh. However there is no advice against travel to Islamabad or the area around it, which I visited recently and is safe for Westerners to walk or cycle around.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/pakistan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.