Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Help Desk: practical assistance for those affected by strikes on 9, 10, 27 Sep

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2019, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Quick answers to FAQ

Update 18 September 2019: BALPA, the pilots union, has called off their strike for 27 September. We are awaiting a status update from BA on the next steps.

Help! What do I do now?
Most importantly, don't panic and don't do anything in haste. Read these FAQ. Read the thread, particularly the posts starting from the time that the strike dates were announced. Identify your options. Think about what works for you. Then take action. If you do anything in haste, you may have thrown away good options, or you may have thrown away money that you needn't have spent.

NOTE: Some emails have been sent out by mistake notifying the cancellation of flights on 8 September and other dates.
If your booking still looks OK in MMB then you don't need to take further action. A cancelled flight should be shown in MMB with struck-through text. If your flight details are not struck through, then it probably hasn't actually been cancelled. You could check ba.com to see whether BA is still taking reservations for the flight in question. If so, then the flight has not been cancelled. You may also try checking on ExpertFlyer, if you have access, to see whether your flight appears still to be operating and whether BA is still taking reservations. However, some afternoon/evening flights on 8 September have genuinely been cancelled. See main thread for details, see post 540 for an example of a mistake cancellation, see post 818 for a genuinely cancelled flight.
Post 540 (mistake cancellation): https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31451182-post540.html
Post 818 (real cancellation): https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31454467-post818.html

Has a strike been called yet?
Yes. BALPA, the pilots' union, has voted in favour of strike action, and the Court of Appeal has rejected BA's submission to have the poll set aside, so the legal process is now over. The two parties went back into talks after the legal proceedings and those talks were expected to continue into the week of 5 August.

BALPA on 23 Aug announced strikes on Monday 9 September, Tuesday 10 September, and Friday 27 September.

Any further strikes normally require 2 weeks notice under UK legislation.

What flights may be affected?
LHR and LGW based flights. Not LCY or STN flights. Both cabin and flight crew are in dispute with BA, but the pilots (captains, senior first officers, first officers) have announced strike dates.

How long would a strike last?
The initial strikes are for two days the a single day, with normal working in between. Any other strikes could be of any length. It would be rare in the UK for there to be a full time strike.

What would happen to my flights if it is a strike day?
A range of options have been announced, see here

and BA Trade Site guidance here

The list of airlines that can be used for rebooking BA flights is now very long, and the list is available here:
https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/traveltrade/bookings-policies/policies/askba?faqid=7594

As of 27 August, this was the old list, and you can track the rollout of OAL via the main thread: Iberia, AA, Aer Lingus (Transatlantic routed limited to 09/10 Sep Only), Finnair, JAL, Malaysia, Qatar, SAS, Brussels, Egyptair, Precision Air, Cathay Pacific and Etihad, Saudia, Gulf, Qantas, Tradewind Aviation, Interjet, LATAM, Air France, KLM, Air New Zealand, Philippine Airlines, EVA Air, Kenya Airways, Aegean Airlines, Air Baltic, Air Atlantic, Croatia and Vueling. Between LHR/MAN and SIN only for Economy passengers, Singapore Airlines is allowed. Between LON and SOF only, Bulgaria is allowed. Between London and Newcastle, Leeds and Edinburgh BA can rebook via the LNER rail company. Suspended then but now allowed: Lufthansa, Swiss, Austrian

This is for both revenue and redemption flights.

and the FAQ on BA.com here (this includes information on BA Holidays bookings which are substantially different): here

Can I do anything with an existing booking now?
Yes. Your options are different depending on whether your flights are currently showing as cancelled or not. See the links above.

What about Heathrow staff - aren't their strikes planned there too?
Yes there is a separate dispute at the moment between Heathrow Airport (HAL) and their staff such as those who operate the security checkpoints. See the separate thread on the issue.

Am I protected by EC261 if there is a problem?
You are always covered by the Right to Care provisions of Regulation EC261. You could potentially be able to claim compensation for delays, cancellations and downgrades caused by BA staff action too, but not for HAL strikes (for cancellations only if there is flight is less than 14 day’s notice). See the main EC261 thread in the BA Forum Dashboard.[/left]
Print Wikipost

Help Desk: practical assistance for those affected by strikes on 9, 10, 27 Sep

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2019, 4:14 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by kontrakobra
Thanks CWS for your very informative reply!

I see that several people have posted they've already had cancellation notifications. How soon could I reasonably expect such a notification for my flight (YVR-LHR 27 Sep), if it gets cancelled?

If it's within a couple of days I might wait, though the risk is fewer re-booking options.
Manage My Booking may show the cancellation (it may be marked in red). BA's emails and SMS can be held up by the sheer weight of communications that BA sends out every hour even in normal times. So I would hope you see something in the next few hours really. You can also have a look at online tools to see if your flight still appears to be running.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If there is availability for there Friday LCY service - in other words you can make a cash booking for it - just call up. The ReAccom module may not be picking all options up so I wouldn't rely on it 100%.
ive been calling since 6pm .... it’s now 11pm.... over 300 attempts. There is nothing “simple” about it! lol

Is there any other way? Ie turning up at the airport or something along those lines? They are simply not answering calls and instead of putting you in a queue to take you’re turn, just cut you off.

The option mentioned is not without personal cost.... but it will do what we need... ie get away on our chosen date.

Thanks for your reply BTW

edit.... hurrah... I now seem to be a proper queue to speak to someone.... on hold for 15 mins... so fingers crossed don’t hear that we’re too busy message again now

Last edited by les37b; Aug 23, 2019 at 4:32 pm
Old Aug 23, 2019, 4:21 pm

Flight cancelled, bought a new flight

I just got a text saying my flight has been cancelled on the 10th September due to the strike.

The only option on the rebook system is to move to the 7th or 11th Sep.

However, there was 1 seat left in Y class on the 9th Sep to City, so I have bought that, however it’s €400 more than the price I paid for my original ticket.

Given the rerouting system should have offered me that but didn’t, am I likely to be able to get a refund from BA for the difference, or will they only give me the cancellation refund of my original flight. I tried to call the US call centre but couldn’t get through.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 4:22 pm

Programs: British Airways Gold, IHG Spire Elite
I don't actually know, but if the service is restored then they may as well allow their previous passengers back, otherwise they'll be running empty aircraft, and there wouldn't be much point to that.
when did my rebooking earlier the agent told me
my original flight and seat would be held incase the flight was to run as usual if the strike was cancelled and I would just need to call up to let them know I wanted to take the original flight. Guess this might not apply to all flights thought?
Old Aug 23, 2019, 4:28 pm

Programs: BAEC
Manage My Booking may show the cancellation (it may be marked in red).
We also have a flight booked on the 27th, on MMB it is marked in red. Does this mean it is cancelled, or that it is likely to be effected? (No text/ email saying the flight is cancelled yet..)
Old Aug 23, 2019, 4:29 pm

Programs: MVPGold 75K
after 4 hours on hold

with Amex travel service as I bought CW ticket with them, I was calling BA in canada and selected buy new ticket option to be transferred to India CSC and over there ladies rebooked me on American Airlines form LHR to LAX instead to SEATTLE.
OMG
Old Aug 23, 2019, 4:30 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by nshep

when did my rebooking earlier the agent told me
my original flight and seat would be held incase the flight was to run as usual if the strike was cancelled and I would just need to call up to let them know I wanted to take the original flight. Guess this might not apply to all flights thought?
Not sure I’d rely on that too much, at least if the flight has been formally cancelled. Think it would be a logistical nightmare going back to passengers and asking if they wanted to move back to original flights - may end up with a lot of 20% load flights and even more irate passengers who had adjusted plans once already etc. Any insight on this would be interesting (e.g. have cabin crew rosters been changed as well and can they be easily reinstated etc.)
Old Aug 23, 2019, 4:31 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by les37b
Is there any other way? Ie turning up at the airport or something along those lines? They are simply not answering calls and instead of putting you in a queue to take you’re turn, just cut you off.
I imagine you're doing this at peak time, you can just see the sheer weight of posts that have gone through this evening from members of this forum alone. Moreover agents are also having to adjust to constantly changing information. If you can leave it until early UK time Saturday or Sunday you may find it easier. I doubt an airport would handle this willingly at the moment.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 4:31 pm

I don't actually know, but if the service is restored then they may as well allow their previous passengers back, otherwise they'll be running empty aircraft, and there wouldn't be much point to that.
Thanks, CWS, for your help - you must be staying up late answering all the questions from us. Been holding on the BAEC silver line in the US for over an hour, then got cut off (must be limited by skype?). Tried to call the number listed on the text messages (in the UK) a number of times and it would not connect at all. We cannot rebook via MMB because we flying into one city in one country and out of another city in another country so BA would not let us rebook but have to call. Not sure how long the US line will be open till tonight. Hubby has set up alarm to get up 6am tomorrow morning to try the BAEC silver in the UK.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by Flying12345

Given the rerouting system should have offered me that but didn’t, am I likely to be able to get a refund from BA for the difference, or will they only give me the cancellation refund of my original flight. I tried to call the US call centre but couldn’t get through.
No, BA's FAQ is quite clear that you need to get BA to facilitate the rebook, and that is the EC261 position too (to simplify somewhat). So if you act independently then you can't expect BA to pick up the cost. It's more than 2 weeks away so I do think everything has to be done right now.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by A1pax
Thanks, CWS, for your help - you must be staying up late answering all the questions from us. Been holding on the BAEC silver line in the US for over an hour, then got cut off (must be limited by skype?). Tried to call the number listed on the text messages (in the UK) a number of times and it would not connect at all. We cannot rebook via MMB because we flying into one city in one country and out of another city in another country so BA would not let us rebook but have to call. Not sure how long the US line will be open till tonight. Hubby has set up alarm to get up 6am tomorrow morning to try the BAEC silver in the UK.
It's open to 23:00 hrs Eastern, so that's a few more hours yet!
Old Aug 23, 2019, 4:37 pm

• You don’t have to do anything, you can keep your booking as it is.
  • You may be able to rebook these flights and other flights free of charge, subject to availability.
  • Please call us to check if your flight can be changed.
  • You may obtain a full refund by cancelling your entire booking. Please call us to request this refund.
If these flights are cancelled, we will notify you
Data point, not sure how helpful

MmB showing my flight on 28th (the early morning flight from DXB) in red but not cancelled.
MmB also has the generic message shown above.

At the moment I'm sitting tight. I expect this to be cancelled but no intention of doing anything until that's confirmed.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 4:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by expatboy
This is a similar problem to mine - on a revenue ticket, leaving LAX on Mon 8th as per schedule, arriving into LHR on 9th and my onward flight to ABZ that evening is cancelled. I could go back up that evening on FlyMaybe, but that requires speaking to someone to get them to rebook, which appears to be impossible at the moment. I could see if they'd cough up for the Sleeper, but can't see that happening as it's £190 for a berth that night. I'd be happier if they'd stranded me in LA rather than LHR ;-). Will just have to be patient.
I arrive on 9th too and was offered a replacement bus up to ABZ as my connection! I just couldn’t. I’m on the Babybus into LCY from JFK anyway so have taken a flight to EDI. Never heard of them putting on busses up here in the past.

Yes, let me amplify that a bit though since Trade Support is different to BA.com bookings...

- they are allowing reroutes and alternative gateways here, which is unusual for operating flights
Does that imply that reroutes/alternative gateways are not being offered to bookings made through an online travel agent? Only BA direct?

I’m booked on a LHR-AUH that is still operating, but within the dates that are allowing rebookings. Wondering if I’d have any luck asking for a DXB flight instead...

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by PointsPointsPoints
We also have a flight booked on the 27th, on MMB it is marked in red. Does this mean it is cancelled, or that it is likely to be effected? (No text/ email saying the flight is cancelled yet..)
I have similar for my flights on Sunday 8th but there is the following text in MMB:

I would assume that unless MMB specifically states that your flights are cancelled the fact they are in red is simply to draw your attention to the potential to rebook or cancel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.