Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Old Jul 20, 2019, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Quick answers to FAQ:

Help! What do I do now?
Most importantly, don't panic and don't do anything in haste. Read these FAQ. Read the thread, particularly the posts starting from the time that the strike dates were announced. Identify your options. Think about what works for you. Then take action. If you do anything in haste, you may have thrown away good options, or you may have thrown away money that you needn't have spent.

NOTE: Some emails have been sent out by mistake notifying the cancellation of flights on 8 September and other dates. If your booking still looks OK in MMB then you don't need to take further action. A cancelled flight should be shown in MMB with struck-through text. If your flight details are not struck through, then it probably hasn't actually been cancelled. You could check ba.com to see whether BA is still taking reservations for the flight in question. If so, then the flight has not been cancelled. You may also try checking on ExpertFlyer, if you have access, to see whether your flight appears still to be operating and whether BA is still taking reservations. However, some afternoon/evening flights on 8 September have genuinely been cancelled. See main thread for details.

Has a strike been called yet?
Yes. BALPA, the pilots' union, has voted in favour of strike action, and the Court of Appeal has rejected BA's submission to have the poll set aside, so the legal process is now over. The two parties went back into talks after the legal proceedings and those talks were expected to continue into the week of 5 August.

BALPA on 23 Aug announced strikes on Monday 9 September Tuesday 10 September and Friday 27 September.

Any further strikes normally require 2 weeks notice under UK legislation.

What flights may be affected?
LHR and LGW based flights. Not LCY or STN flights. Both cabin and flight crew are in dispute with BA, but the pilots (captains, senior first officers, first officers) are closest to strike action.

How long would a strike last?
The initial strikes are for two days the a single day, with normal working in between. Any other strikes could be of any length. It would be rare in the UK for there to be a full time strike.

What would happen to my flights if it is a strike day?
A range of options have been announced, see post 1551 below for more information: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...l#post31451055

and BA Trade Site guidance here: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...kba?faqid=7594

Rebooking is now allowed on Iberia, AA, Finnair, JAL and Qatar. Within Europe EI and Vueling are also allowed. This is for both revenue and redemption flights.

and the FAQ on BA.com here (this includes information on BA Holidays bookings which are substantially different): https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...st-information

Can I do anything with an existing booking now?
Yes. Your options are different depending on whether your flights are currently showing as cancelled or not. See the links above.

What about Heathrow staff - aren't their strikes planned there too?
Yes there is a separate dispute at the moment between Heathrow Airport (HAL) and their staff such as those who operate the security checkpoints. See the separate thread on the issue.

Am I protected by EC261 if there is a problem?
You are always covered by the Right to Care provisions of Regulation EC261. You could potentially be able to claim compensation for delays, cancellations and downgrades caused by BA staff action too, but not for HAL strikes (for cancellations only if there is flight is less than 14 days notice). See the main EC261 thread in the BA Forum Dashboard.
Print Wikipost

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Old Aug 23, 2019, 8:07 am

Xxxxx xxxxx

Last edited by xxxxx; Aug 23, 2019 at 8:30 am
Old Aug 23, 2019, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by rapidex
What no one in the front?^
Well, I suppose we could stretch to referring to them as people if you want... That can vary day to day depending how helpful and how demanding they sound like they are going to be...
Old Aug 23, 2019, 9:20 am

Programs: BA
9th and 10th
george77300 likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 9:21 am

Im hearing 9th/10th and 27th September have been announced but Ive seen nothing official yet.
george77300 likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 9:25 am

I fly on 27th and the not knowing officially is draining. I know its a first world problem and in the grand scheme of things there are a lot worse off than me, but I still feel pretty sad about it. I dont think Id be able to afford to rebook unless they can put me on a different flight
Old Aug 23, 2019, 9:29 am

9th/10th/27th confirmed.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by Welcome On Board
9th/10th/27th confirmed.

where are you seeing this?

...Im not happy
Old Aug 23, 2019, 9:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Old Aug 23, 2019, 9:34 am

Programs: F
Now tweeted by Balpa

We have today given notice to British Airways that we will call on our members to strike on 9th, 10th and 27th September 2019.#BAstrike

Old Aug 23, 2019, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by redshift27
Now tweeted by Balpa

We have today given notice to British Airways that we will call on our members to strike on 9th, 10th and 27th September 2019.#BAstrike

very annoyed. When will BA provide an update on flights and alternative arrangements for those dates?
Old Aug 23, 2019, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
That gives plenty of time to have final discussions and come to an agreement.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 9:41 am

Programs: BA GGL
Official press release

STRIKE DATES ANNOUNCED BY BALPA

August 23, 2019 It is completely unacceptable that BALPA is destroying the travel plans of tens of thousands of our customers with this unjustifiable strike action.

BALPA has given us notice that they will strike on September 9th, 10th and 27th. We are extremely sorry that after many months of negotiations, based on a very fair offer, BALPA has decided on this reckless course of action.

We are now making changes to our schedule. We will do everything we can to get as many people away on their journeys as possible. However, it is likely that many of our customers will not be able to travel and we will be offering refunds and re-bookings for passengers booked on cancelled flights.
  • Flights on BA CityFlyer, SUN-AIR and Comair are not affected
  • We are exploring options to supplement our fleet by using aircraft and crew from other airlines (wet-leasing)
  • We are working with our partner airlines to schedule larger aircraft to take the maximum number of customers
Our proposed deal of 11.5 per cent over three years is very fair and well above the UK's current rate of inflation, and by contrast to BALPA, has been accepted by the members of the Unite and GMB trade unions, which represent nearly 90 per cent of all British Airways colleagues including engineers, cabin crew and ground staff. In addition to basic pay, pilots also receive annual pay increments and regular flying allowances.

We continue to pursue every avenue to find a solution to avoid industrial action and protect our customers' travel plans.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 9:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
And in the interest of balance, heres BALPAs press release:

The British Airline Pilots Association (BALPA) has today given notice to British Airways that it will call on its members to strike on 9th, 10th and 27th September 2019.

Over several days of ACAS talks BALPA put forward a number of packages that we believe would have resolved this dispute without a strike, and which we could have recommended to our members for acceptance prior to strike action. BA did not accept any of these packages, and it is clear following discussions with members over the last few days that BAs most recent offer will not gain the support of anywhere near a majority of its pilots.

In these circumstances, with a 93% vote in favour of taking industrial action, and with no prospect of any further meaningful talks, we have no choice but to call this action.

A day of strike action will cost BA around 40m. Three days will cost in the region of 120m. The gap between BAs position and BALPAs position is about 5m. Our proposal remains on the table should BA wish to reach agreement prior to strike action.

British Airways is an extremely profitable and successful company, and pilots have been proud to play their part in that. In 2018 the company announced profits of 2bn. Over recent years BA pilots have made sacrifice after sacrifice to assist the company such as taking a pay cut, productivity increases, closing the final salary pension scheme, giving up annual leave days, a new rostering system, and reducing flying pay.

In what is British Airways centenary year, this will be the very first time its pilots will go on strike. They do so as a last resort and with enormous frustration at the way the business is now being run.

Our ballot is valid until January, and more dates may be announced until such time as this matter is resolved.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 10:02 am

Interestingly, all my bookings disappeared from my BA Exec account.

I dont have a flight on the 10th, only on the 11th coming back from Faro so should be unaffected.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 10:04 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by let_BAegones_be
Interestingly, all my bookings disappeared from my BA Exec account.
that happens a lot, just have a look at the issues thread.
wrp96 and snuffi like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.