Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2019, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Quick answers to FAQ:

Help! What do I do now?
Most importantly, don't panic and don't do anything in haste. Read these FAQ. Read the thread, particularly the posts starting from the time that the strike dates were announced. Identify your options. Think about what works for you. Then take action. If you do anything in haste, you may have thrown away good options, or you may have thrown away money that you needn't have spent.

NOTE: Some emails have been sent out by mistake notifying the cancellation of flights on 8 September and other dates. If your booking still looks OK in MMB then you don't need to take further action. A cancelled flight should be shown in MMB with struck-through text. If your flight details are not struck through, then it probably hasn't actually been cancelled. You could check ba.com to see whether BA is still taking reservations for the flight in question. If so, then the flight has not been cancelled. You may also try checking on ExpertFlyer, if you have access, to see whether your flight appears still to be operating and whether BA is still taking reservations. However, some afternoon/evening flights on 8 September have genuinely been cancelled. See main thread for details.

Has a strike been called yet?
Yes. BALPA, the pilots' union, has voted in favour of strike action, and the Court of Appeal has rejected BA's submission to have the poll set aside, so the legal process is now over. The two parties went back into talks after the legal proceedings and those talks were expected to continue into the week of 5 August.

BALPA on 23 Aug announced strikes on Monday 9 September Tuesday 10 September and Friday 27 September.

Any further strikes normally require 2 weeks notice under UK legislation.

What flights may be affected?
LHR and LGW based flights. Not LCY or STN flights. Both cabin and flight crew are in dispute with BA, but the pilots (captains, senior first officers, first officers) are closest to strike action.

How long would a strike last?
The initial strikes are for two days the a single day, with normal working in between. Any other strikes could be of any length. It would be rare in the UK for there to be a full time strike.

What would happen to my flights if it is a strike day?
A range of options have been announced, see post 1551 below for more information: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...l#post31451055

and BA Trade Site guidance here: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...kba?faqid=7594

Rebooking is now allowed on Iberia, AA, Finnair, JAL and Qatar. Within Europe EI and Vueling are also allowed. This is for both revenue and redemption flights.

and the FAQ on BA.com here (this includes information on BA Holidays bookings which are substantially different): https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...st-information

Can I do anything with an existing booking now?
Yes. Your options are different depending on whether your flights are currently showing as cancelled or not. See the links above.

What about Heathrow staff - aren't their strikes planned there too?
Yes there is a separate dispute at the moment between Heathrow Airport (HAL) and their staff such as those who operate the security checkpoints. See the separate thread on the issue.

Am I protected by EC261 if there is a problem?
You are always covered by the Right to Care provisions of Regulation EC261. You could potentially be able to claim compensation for delays, cancellations and downgrades caused by BA staff action too, but not for HAL strikes (for cancellations only if there is flight is less than 14 day’s notice). See the main EC261 thread in the BA Forum Dashboard.
Print Wikipost

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2019, 1:06 am

Assuming that it is strike dates not an IT issue...

I’ve got a late morning LGW - MCO flight on 29/9 (CW, Avios booking using Amex 2-4-1). Am I likely to be impacted even though it’s after the second window or will all the planes be in the right places that morning, etc?
Old Aug 23, 2019, 1:06 am
hmv

Originally Posted by Krisz
I have a domestic flight on the 11th Sept back on the 13th Sept and what else is interesting that on both flight the CE cabin made it the biggest possible size. So its not just J and Y only available but the cabin sizing looks wrong. We are talking on the 13th 17:50 LBA-LHR 10 rows of CE. Also expertflyer doesn't even shows any other fare bucket just J and Y.
Plus BA.com is really playing up...
I think an another IT issue is on the horizon...
Noticed the same on BA2765 (AMS-LGW) on the 14th of September: Equipment remained A319, but my selected seat on row 6 was changed to row 11. Economy now starts at row 8 according to the seat selector.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 1:15 am
McG

Programs: BAEC
The GLA-LHR-ARN flights I have booked for the 11th are now showing as only bookable in Y with a fare of over £650 one way.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 1:17 am
hmv

Originally Posted by green_tie
Assuming that it is strike dates not an IT issue...

I’ve got a late morning LGW - MCO flight on 29/9 (CW, Avios booking using Amex 2-4-1). Am I likely to be impacted even though it’s after the second window or will all the planes be in the right places that morning, etc?
Based on simple reasoning, I would say the because LGW is a home base for BA and the normal response during a period of strike would be having the aircraft at home base or at the major routes for BA (JFK comes to mind).

Also, it also depends if BA has the balls to take their short-lease trick out of their hat again. During the cabin crew strike they still had the opportunity to lease some jets from QR and other ACMI operators, but because of the 737MAX issues the availability of aircraft has diminished and this action will piss off the pilots even more. Cabin crew is relatively easy to replace, but pilots are highly skilled labour where experience and type ratings are crucial.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 1:28 am

Originally Posted by hmv
Based on simple reasoning, I would say the because LGW is a home base for BA and the normal response during a period of strike would be having the aircraft at home base or at the major routes for BA (JFK comes to mind).

Also, it also depends if BA has the balls to take their short-lease trick out of their hat again. During the cabin crew strike they still had the opportunity to lease some jets from QR and other ACMI operators, but because of the 737MAX issues the availability of aircraft has diminished and this action will piss off the pilots even more. Cabin crew is relatively easy to replace, but pilots are highly skilled labour where experience and type ratings are crucial.
That plan falls at the first hurdle. There are not enough parking spaces to put BA's aircraft at LGW and LHR.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 1:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK Elite, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rapidex
That plan falls at the first hurdle. There are not enough parking spaces to put BA's aircraft at LGW and LHR.
I'd say it'll be crunch time for BA ops staff. I would not want to be in their shoes. But I'm sure they have contingency plans!
Old Aug 23, 2019, 2:00 am

keep me hanging on...

I fly to LGW-LAS on 27/9 and there is no longer any economy or premium economy on sale.It could be due to impending strike action, flights in the days prior to this may be strike affected so using my flight to rearrange affected passengers or a bank holiday sale!

I used to work at Avios and sometimes the redemption flights would be made unavailable for re-pricing due to sales. Like you say, we can speculate until the cows come home. Hope everyone gets to fly on their chosen dates. We’ll see….
snuffi and W213Sal like this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 3:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, ex-VS Gold, ex-UA Gold, Premier Inn Platinum-Iridium
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Has anyone actually been doing a systematic search for this over the past week or so? Is it possible that BA has been doing this for days, on a rolling basis, and we have only just noticed?
It's the first time I've seen this since the threat of a strike resurfaced after the last offer was rejected, and I'm up and down to London every couple of weeks at the moment. The availability literally vanished in front of my eyes while booking yesterday.

It's certainly plausible that BA are intentionally trying to displace some demand, to create slack in their system and minimise the amount of tickets which will end up being endorsed onto other carriers.

Given the costs involved in handling disruption, rebooking affected passengers, processing refunds, etc., it might be strategically better to deter further bookings.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by McG
The 11th is more than 2 weeks away.

Could BALPA have notified BA with dates yesterday and BA have asked for a short period of time before dates are announced?
if BALPA wanted to make a public announcement they can but the employer must be told first with a notice that complies with the legislation. The legal obligation is to inform the employer not the public.
McG likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Due to BA’s love of court action it would not be a surprise to give over 14 days notice in case they tried to challenge the wording - leaves enough time to resubmit.

Ironic that the pilots can’t do what other workers do during strikes and fly off for a cheeky extra holiday :-)
Old Aug 23, 2019, 3:29 am
hmv

Regarding the booking class issues: seeing the same impact for flights in the rest of 2020, for instance AMS-LHR-ICN in June.

Y and W class.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 3:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Okay a heads up on my situation.

Booked to return from Nice to GLA on 11th and only Y on sale but B,C on sale on 10th and 12th. Then off from GLA-BLR on the 13th, RTN on 19th. Searching for my flights has just shown the outbound on 13th is £1400 Y, £1849 in W and £4,500 in J. Searching around those dates shows the price spike starts Sun 8th to Thurs 12th. Although I could search for the 13th, it is now showing as unavailable from Fri 13th to Mon 16th and from Fri 20th to Mon23rd. The only flights available are on Tues,Wed, Thurs right through until January. Flights on individual legs LHR-BLR are available in Y,W,J. and GLA-LHR are available on all dates but only in Y,J.

Now the Fri-Mon flights are back up with some only Y, some only Y,W and some Y,W,J.

If it was just the BALPA dates I would be worried. But it seems to be all over the place for months.
W213Sal likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 3:34 am
McG

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Raffles
Due to BA’s love of court action it would not be a surprise to give over 14 days notice in case they tried to challenge the wording - leaves enough time to resubmit.

Ironic that the pilots can’t do what other workers do during strikes and fly off for a cheeky extra holiday :-)
I think given they already failed in court to have the ballot declared illegal on a technicality, all BALPA need to do is issue them with dates that are 14days or more in the future.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 3:35 am

In a weird way I find it encouraging that the dates are all over the place. I always have rotten luck with flying (I could write a book, honestly). I’m secretly anxious about my flight being cancelled and my husband is blissfully unaware of potential strike action.
W213Sal likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 3:42 am

There is no requirement for BALPA to make any public announcements.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.