Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2019, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Quick answers to FAQ:

Help! What do I do now?
Most importantly, don't panic and don't do anything in haste. Read these FAQ. Read the thread, particularly the posts starting from the time that the strike dates were announced. Identify your options. Think about what works for you. Then take action. If you do anything in haste, you may have thrown away good options, or you may have thrown away money that you needn't have spent.

NOTE: Some emails have been sent out by mistake notifying the cancellation of flights on 8 September and other dates. If your booking still looks OK in MMB then you don't need to take further action. A cancelled flight should be shown in MMB with struck-through text. If your flight details are not struck through, then it probably hasn't actually been cancelled. You could check ba.com to see whether BA is still taking reservations for the flight in question. If so, then the flight has not been cancelled. You may also try checking on ExpertFlyer, if you have access, to see whether your flight appears still to be operating and whether BA is still taking reservations. However, some afternoon/evening flights on 8 September have genuinely been cancelled. See main thread for details.

Has a strike been called yet?
Yes. BALPA, the pilots' union, has voted in favour of strike action, and the Court of Appeal has rejected BA's submission to have the poll set aside, so the legal process is now over. The two parties went back into talks after the legal proceedings and those talks were expected to continue into the week of 5 August.

BALPA on 23 Aug announced strikes on Monday 9 September Tuesday 10 September and Friday 27 September.

Any further strikes normally require 2 weeks notice under UK legislation.

What flights may be affected?
LHR and LGW based flights. Not LCY or STN flights. Both cabin and flight crew are in dispute with BA, but the pilots (captains, senior first officers, first officers) are closest to strike action.

How long would a strike last?
The initial strikes are for two days the a single day, with normal working in between. Any other strikes could be of any length. It would be rare in the UK for there to be a full time strike.

What would happen to my flights if it is a strike day?
A range of options have been announced, see post 1551 below for more information: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...l#post31451055

and BA Trade Site guidance here: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...kba?faqid=7594

Rebooking is now allowed on Iberia, AA, Finnair, JAL and Qatar. Within Europe EI and Vueling are also allowed. This is for both revenue and redemption flights.

and the FAQ on BA.com here (this includes information on BA Holidays bookings which are substantially different): https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...st-information

Can I do anything with an existing booking now?
Yes. Your options are different depending on whether your flights are currently showing as cancelled or not. See the links above.

What about Heathrow staff - aren't their strikes planned there too?
Yes there is a separate dispute at the moment between Heathrow Airport (HAL) and their staff such as those who operate the security checkpoints. See the separate thread on the issue.

Am I protected by EC261 if there is a problem?
You are always covered by the Right to Care provisions of Regulation EC261. You could potentially be able to claim compensation for delays, cancellations and downgrades caused by BA staff action too, but not for HAL strikes (for cancellations only if there is flight is less than 14 day’s notice). See the main EC261 thread in the BA Forum Dashboard.
Print Wikipost

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2019, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by samfrost93
We should be able to book flights without uncertainty since we actually handed over money for the service. If there is uncertainty about whether the service can be delivered then offer refunds, simple.
I guess I'm just trying to make a point about how we're here debating this and kind of just accepting the uncertainty and possible disruption... but should we have to accept it? I mean, we've paid a lot of money for a service we're unsure can even be delivered.
There is always uncertainty about whether the service we've paid for can be delivered. This time it might (or might not) be a BA employees' strike. Next time, it might be some other company's employees' strike, whether in the UK or overseas. Or the weather could wreck your trip. Or it could be a hole in the runway. If the service is not delivered, you will get a refund. This is no different from (say) pre-booked rail travel.

Nobody has to accept the uncertainty and possible disruption. You can always make backup plans. You might want to do that even if the potential problem is not a strike, but political. The only limitation is how much money you are able and willing to throw at what may or may not ultimately prove to be a problem. Your backup plans could include buying tickets on another airline - although you'd also have to hope that your chosen backup airline's pilots don't go on strike themselves.

Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 8:04 am

Programs: BA (LTG), Miles&More (whatever the lowest level is), Oyster card (zones 1-2)
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I haven't had a holiday lasting more than 24 hours for over 10 years (I've had 3 proper days off in total in the last 10 years from memory) .
OT, but goodness, surely no job could ever be worth that?
Old Aug 22, 2019, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by ScruttonStreet
My thoughts exactly!
Old Aug 22, 2019, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by aristoph
My thoughts exactly!
It’s amazing that she still looks so young and fragrant!
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 8:21 am

We shouldn't ban strikes, I do think they should be the absolute last resort.

I'm not looking to push problems onto other passengers, it's terrible that anyone has a chance of being impacted. I'm lucky enough to be in a position to book with another airline, I actually have flights reserved in case I'm impacted.

Additionally, people aren't just going on summer holidays. People travel for all sorts of reasons: funerals, weddings, birthdays, family reunions.

A lot of people on this forum seem to just brush this off with an attitude of "though luck, get over it". Those people don't travel just once a year for a family holiday.

In my opinion, this falls on both BALPA and BA. Each side are equally at fault.

BALPA shouldn't be causing such uncertainty, they've had a week since the talks ended. They obviously have an internal view of what's going on but want to milk press coverage.

BA shouldn't be allowing such uncertainty to remain, get back around the negotiating table and let passengers cancel for a full refund (and rebook with other carriers).
You are incorrect. The talks have not ended. The formal ACAS part has completed for now.
Bellerophon and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 8:24 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by aristoph
My thoughts exactly!
It takes all sorts... I have friends like that, they're perfectly happy!
Tobias-UK and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 11:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, ex-VS Gold, ex-UA Gold, Premier Inn Platinum-Iridium
Looks like Wednesday 11th and Thursday 12th September could be likely strike dates. I was just trying to book some travel involving those dates when the prices suddenly skyrocketed.

All buckets apart from F/J/W/Y blocked out on all mainline BA metal on those dates.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 11:40 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by mjh0
Looks like Wednesday 11th and Thursday 12th September could be likely strike dates. I was just trying to book some travel involving those dates when the prices suddenly skyrocketed.

All buckets apart from F/J/W/Y blocked out on all mainline BA metal on those dates.
I don't like jumping to conclusions, given BA's IT however.....

I am seeing more conventional availability on shorthaul, eg LGW-EDI some sub £50 fares are still around.
Attached Images  
Old Aug 22, 2019, 11:40 am

Programs: BA Silver

could also imply that the Monday and Tuesday prior are the strike days and they want to save as many empty seats as they can for rebooking purposes.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 11:41 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

I think that's more likely to maybe be Sale fares being loaded, possibly? (VS have started a Sale I called the bing bong sale -

It's not unusual for BA to launch one when Virgin do.

paging @BingBongBoy, are you flying with the Bearded airline now?

They're using your copyrighted name without your permission?

nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 11:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK Elite, HH Diamond

Maybe those are "recovery" days and they're expecting strikes on days leading up to that so sun-tuesday 8-10 hmmmm but the 2 weeks notice for those days wouldn't kick in until this Sunday though.

If they announce today it'll be Thursday 5th the earliest, and BALPA aren't going to give more than 2 weeks notice so if they notify tomorrow it's 6th. Following FR Strategy I'd say if they announce 48 hour strikes it could be 6/7 or 7/8. For 9/10 we'll have to wait until Monday.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 12:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold; MB Ti; HH Diamond; IHG Plat; RR Gold
Sigh, just my luck. Am due to fly LHR-MAD on an RFS on the 11th, ahead of my IB 90K redemption on the 12th. Wonder if it’s worth pulling the trigger on a U2 ticket as protection, before things spike drastically...
Old Aug 22, 2019, 12:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by subject2load

+ 1

I really really don’t wish to see a strike (I can’t imagine anyone does).

But there is a fine line between BALPA being perceived as reasonable and patient ; and being seen as weak and indecisive. The latter will surely strengthen BA’s own resolve.

i really didn’t expect to see a strike,, now I am not so sure. Previously BA made their’ final ‘ offer, BALPA said ok we will issue strike dates, this was mid August so could have hit this weekend and BA said ok let’s talk more.... so talks continued and BALPA in my opinion HAVE been more than reasonable as they could have called strike dates whilst talks continue,

If BA have been stringing BALPA along to avoid disruption this weekend they are really opening Pandora’s box

BALPA know the strategy to decimate BAs schedule. They could do it for a few hours and you’d get a wave of flights out but perhaps the returns wouldn’t operate. Remember there is no room to store all BAs aircraft. Shorthauls will diver to Southampton, Bournemouth, Stanstead, Birmingham and longhaulls diver to Newcastle, Glasgoe, Manchester, Belfast, Düsseldorf like they did in the bank holiday IT meltdown.

BA will say we are disappointed that BALPA have chosen to disrupt our schedules for our customers, BALPa can reel off how they’ve been reasonable but it won’t stop Holidays being ruined etc.

As i I alluded early on it’s like a poker game who holds the best cards to win the game and that’s not being disrespectful to passengers. I really didn’t think that BA would allow this to happen but remember their statement on the Data Hack.. we are outraged that criminals did this.. not we are sorry this happen d to our customers.

BA have done the sums, worked out the collateral damage so they might bung 2 years of status to affected members. Do they really care if Jo bloggs flies EasyJet for his future holidays or 10 Flyertalk Talk Tier Point runners say we are going to a Virgin..

Interesting times, I must point out that these are my thoughts and rationale and I might be totally wrong who knows.
nancypants and W213Sal like this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by W213Sal

Maybe those are "recovery" days and they're expecting strikes on days leading up to that so sun-tuesday 8-10 hmmmm but the 2 weeks notice for those days wouldn't kick in until this Sunday though.

If they announce today it'll be Thursday 5th the earliest, and BALPA aren't going to give more than 2 weeks notice so if they notify tomorrow it's 6th. Following FR Strategy I'd say if they announce 48 hour strikes it could be 6/7 or 7/8. For 9/10 we'll have to wait until Monday.
I have a flight on the 6th with a direct flight from SFO to LHR. It’s a red eye flight which arrives on the morning of the 7th. If it is 7/8 would my flight be affected?
Old Aug 22, 2019, 12:34 pm
McG

Programs: BAEC
I'm flying GLA-LHR-ARN on the 11th before flying QR ex ARN on the 12th. Only economy fare buckets available on that route currently are H.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.