Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2019, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Quick answers to FAQ:

Help! What do I do now?
Most importantly, don't panic and don't do anything in haste. Read these FAQ. Read the thread, particularly the posts starting from the time that the strike dates were announced. Identify your options. Think about what works for you. Then take action. If you do anything in haste, you may have thrown away good options, or you may have thrown away money that you needn't have spent.

NOTE: Some emails have been sent out by mistake notifying the cancellation of flights on 8 September and other dates. If your booking still looks OK in MMB then you don't need to take further action. A cancelled flight should be shown in MMB with struck-through text. If your flight details are not struck through, then it probably hasn't actually been cancelled. You could check ba.com to see whether BA is still taking reservations for the flight in question. If so, then the flight has not been cancelled. You may also try checking on ExpertFlyer, if you have access, to see whether your flight appears still to be operating and whether BA is still taking reservations. However, some afternoon/evening flights on 8 September have genuinely been cancelled. See main thread for details.

Has a strike been called yet?
Yes. BALPA, the pilots' union, has voted in favour of strike action, and the Court of Appeal has rejected BA's submission to have the poll set aside, so the legal process is now over. The two parties went back into talks after the legal proceedings and those talks were expected to continue into the week of 5 August.

BALPA on 23 Aug announced strikes on Monday 9 September Tuesday 10 September and Friday 27 September.

Any further strikes normally require 2 weeks notice under UK legislation.

What flights may be affected?
LHR and LGW based flights. Not LCY or STN flights. Both cabin and flight crew are in dispute with BA, but the pilots (captains, senior first officers, first officers) are closest to strike action.

How long would a strike last?
The initial strikes are for two days the a single day, with normal working in between. Any other strikes could be of any length. It would be rare in the UK for there to be a full time strike.

What would happen to my flights if it is a strike day?
A range of options have been announced, see post 1551 below for more information: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...l#post31451055

and BA Trade Site guidance here: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...kba?faqid=7594

Rebooking is now allowed on Iberia, AA, Finnair, JAL and Qatar. Within Europe EI and Vueling are also allowed. This is for both revenue and redemption flights.

and the FAQ on BA.com here (this includes information on BA Holidays bookings which are substantially different): https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...st-information

Can I do anything with an existing booking now?
Yes. Your options are different depending on whether your flights are currently showing as cancelled or not. See the links above.

What about Heathrow staff - aren't their strikes planned there too?
Yes there is a separate dispute at the moment between Heathrow Airport (HAL) and their staff such as those who operate the security checkpoints. See the separate thread on the issue.

Am I protected by EC261 if there is a problem?
You are always covered by the Right to Care provisions of Regulation EC261. You could potentially be able to claim compensation for delays, cancellations and downgrades caused by BA staff action too, but not for HAL strikes (for cancellations only if there is flight is less than 14 day’s notice). See the main EC261 thread in the BA Forum Dashboard.
Print Wikipost

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2019, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by Agent69
Has it ever occured to BA employees that their relationship with their employer might be improved if they stopped threatening to go on strike so often?
Has it occurred to BA that if they talked to the employees it would not be necessary.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 12:27 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by Agent69
Has it ever occured to BA employees that their relationship with their employer might be improved if they stopped threatening to go on strike so often?
As far as I am aware, pilots have never threatened to go on strike in the entire history of BA, until now. I think that says much more about management than the pilots
Old Aug 8, 2019, 4:21 pm

Not true there was very nearly a strike about 15 years ago, BA avoided it with litigation.

Hah hah, I've corrected this just for clarity but the typo was a far better point than the one I was actually making😊

Last edited by Waterhorse; Aug 9, 2019 at 1:15 am
Old Aug 8, 2019, 4:31 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Waterhorse
Not true there was very nearly a stroke about 15 years ago, BA avoided it with litigation.
I think we can all put up with a strike (at an extreme) but a stroke would not be nice for anyone!
Waterhorse likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by Waterhorse
Not true there was very nearly a stroke about 15 years ago, BA avoided it with litigation.
Who were you stroking? Did she have a lucky escape
Waterhorse likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 5:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
From what I gather talks have concluded at ACAS and tomorrow is the last day to give notice for strikes to happen over the centenary/Bank Holiday weekend. Wonder if a statement/solution or strikes will be announced.

With a potential HAL strike immediately before and having seen the carnage of the flight cancellations this week due to the HAL action and IT issue BALPA could decimate their flight schedule for days just by having a day or even a couple of half days of strikes. My personal opinion is (and I hope for all passengers I’m right) there won’t be a strike as BAs thoughts would have been a bit more focussed. If there are strikes I hope BALPA gets their PR in order to make it clear they’ve tried everything,
Old Aug 9, 2019, 12:48 am

[QUOTE=KeaneJohn;31395493]
From what I gather talks have concluded at ACAS

Hi KeaneJohn do you have a source? Only asking as there is a Mr Keane reported to be involved in the discussions?

Looking for any information about strikes as soon as possible to potentially rearrange yet another messed up trip. I inadvertently booked my next trip over the bank holiday weekend. Seriously thinking of hanging up my wander lust, just can't take the stress anymore!

​​​​​​

Last edited by Jerseylily2; Aug 9, 2019 at 12:54 am
Old Aug 9, 2019, 1:17 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
From what I gather talks have concluded at ACAS and tomorrow is the last day to give notice for strikes to happen over the centenary/Bank Holiday weekend. Wonder if a statement/solution or strikes will be announced.

With a potential HAL strike immediately before and having seen the carnage of the flight cancellations this week due to the HAL action and IT issue BALPA could decimate their flight schedule for days just by having a day or even a couple of half days of strikes. My personal opinion is (and I hope for all passengers I’m right) there won’t be a strike as BAs thoughts would have been a bit more focussed. If there are strikes I hope BALPA gets their PR in order to make it clear they’ve tried everything,
Announcing dates might focus minds.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by rapidex
Who were you stroking? Did she have a lucky escape
She, I never complained?
Old Aug 9, 2019, 2:13 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you

She, I never complained?
^
Old Aug 9, 2019, 4:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by Jerseylily2

Hi KeaneJohn do you have a source? Only asking as there is a Mr Keane reported to be involved in the discussions?

Looking for any information about strikes as soon as possible to potentially rearrange yet another messed up trip. I inadvertently booked my next trip over the bank holiday weekend. Seriously thinking of hanging up my wander lust, just can't take the stress anymore!
Just a tweet I saw from Alan Jones, Industrial Correspondent for the Press Association last night.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Aug 9, 2019 at 6:14 am Reason: Fixing broken quote
Old Aug 9, 2019, 5:00 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Being an optimist, I've just booked 3 more BA sectors in the next month.

No, not an optimist as in an "opportunist" (i.e. those types that would book risky things in the hope of getting compensation payouts), but with a genuine hope that flights won't be affected.

However, I did build in one insurance element of including an LCY sector, which I assume is not affected

I am also fully covered for approximately Ł15,000 per incident in disruption-related expenses to recover my schedule (The insurers did say that a private jet might not be an option ) <== still applicable since the strike hasn't been announced yet, which enabled me to 'safely' book those flights.

I also have the added insurance element of 'force release a seat' right on a couple of other airlines, which I guess gives me an extra assurance to book those flights despite the potential issues.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Aug 9, 2019 at 5:11 am
Old Aug 9, 2019, 5:08 am

Hopefully "for now" just means for the weekend!
Old Aug 9, 2019, 5:15 am

Programs: BA Exec Club - Lowly Blue
Originally Posted by Jerseylily2
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
...From what I gather talks have concluded at ACAS....

...Hi KeaneJohn do you have a source?...​​​​
The BA EC website still has a notice, dated 05 Aug 2019 at 11:20, that states, amongst other things, ... we are continuing with talks at ACAS...

However, I'm sorry to tell you that In a bulletin issued yesterday, BALPA informed its members that: ...we regret to report talks at ACAS have broken down...

Whilst I still hope that this dispute can be resolved by further negotiation and without recourse to strike action, I have no information regarding the possibility of further talks with BA or ACAS, nor any information as to what may happen next.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Aug 9, 2019 at 6:15 am Reason: Fixing broken quote
Old Aug 9, 2019, 5:33 am

Originally Posted by Bellerophon
The BA EC website still has a notice, dated 05 Aug 2019 at 11:20, that states, amongst other things, ... we are continuing with talks at ACAS...

However, I'm sorry to tell you that In a bulletin issued yesterday, BALPA informed its members that: ...we regret to report talks at ACAS have broken down...

Whilst I still hope that this dispute can be resolved by further negotiation and without recourse to strike action, I have no information regarding the possibility of further talks with BA or ACAS, nor any information as to what may happen next.
Oddly, as of now (12:34 BST) there is no publicly available resource (BALPA Twitter, BA Twitter, BA website, online news organisations, BBC etc) which discloses the contents of this bulletin or that a bulletin has been issued. Indeed AFAIAA Bellerophon is the sole source available concerning this bulletin

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Aug 9, 2019 at 6:15 am Reason: Fixing broken quote

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.