Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2019, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Quick answers to FAQ:

Help! What do I do now?
Most importantly, don't panic and don't do anything in haste. Read these FAQ. Read the thread, particularly the posts starting from the time that the strike dates were announced. Identify your options. Think about what works for you. Then take action. If you do anything in haste, you may have thrown away good options, or you may have thrown away money that you needn't have spent.

NOTE: Some emails have been sent out by mistake notifying the cancellation of flights on 8 September and other dates. If your booking still looks OK in MMB then you don't need to take further action. A cancelled flight should be shown in MMB with struck-through text. If your flight details are not struck through, then it probably hasn't actually been cancelled. You could check ba.com to see whether BA is still taking reservations for the flight in question. If so, then the flight has not been cancelled. You may also try checking on ExpertFlyer, if you have access, to see whether your flight appears still to be operating and whether BA is still taking reservations. However, some afternoon/evening flights on 8 September have genuinely been cancelled. See main thread for details.

Has a strike been called yet?
Yes. BALPA, the pilots' union, has voted in favour of strike action, and the Court of Appeal has rejected BA's submission to have the poll set aside, so the legal process is now over. The two parties went back into talks after the legal proceedings and those talks were expected to continue into the week of 5 August.

BALPA on 23 Aug announced strikes on Monday 9 September Tuesday 10 September and Friday 27 September.

Any further strikes normally require 2 weeks notice under UK legislation.

What flights may be affected?
LHR and LGW based flights. Not LCY or STN flights. Both cabin and flight crew are in dispute with BA, but the pilots (captains, senior first officers, first officers) are closest to strike action.

How long would a strike last?
The initial strikes are for two days the a single day, with normal working in between. Any other strikes could be of any length. It would be rare in the UK for there to be a full time strike.

What would happen to my flights if it is a strike day?
A range of options have been announced, see post 1551 below for more information: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...l#post31451055

and BA Trade Site guidance here: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...kba?faqid=7594

Rebooking is now allowed on Iberia, AA, Finnair, JAL and Qatar. Within Europe EI and Vueling are also allowed. This is for both revenue and redemption flights.

and the FAQ on BA.com here (this includes information on BA Holidays bookings which are substantially different): https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...st-information

Can I do anything with an existing booking now?
Yes. Your options are different depending on whether your flights are currently showing as cancelled or not. See the links above.

What about Heathrow staff - aren't their strikes planned there too?
Yes there is a separate dispute at the moment between Heathrow Airport (HAL) and their staff such as those who operate the security checkpoints. See the separate thread on the issue.

Am I protected by EC261 if there is a problem?
You are always covered by the Right to Care provisions of Regulation EC261. You could potentially be able to claim compensation for delays, cancellations and downgrades caused by BA staff action too, but not for HAL strikes (for cancellations only if there is flight is less than 14 day’s notice). See the main EC261 thread in the BA Forum Dashboard.
Print Wikipost

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2019, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by tuonopepper
I support their right to strike and have no love for BA management whatsoever, as a passenger I feel Walsh/Cruz are destroying what once was a great airline.

Due to personal preservation and also the perception/PR of the situation I would encourage BALPA to rule out strikes during the school holiday period, I think that would alter public perception dramatically.
why would they rule one of their biggest bargaining chips?

All BA will then do is sick their head in the sand because the earliest strike would be as of today a month away not 14 days.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 2:48 am

Programs: Gold, Some red card and some hotel cards.
Originally Posted by Globaliser
…...
You wouldn't expect pilots to be intransigent, militant and bullying - an expectation proved by the QF pilots with their red ties and PAs. What has happened since the BALPA ballot result was announced (including at the various stages of BA's legal action) seems to me to be entirely in the same mould.

If you believe the reports in several newspapers/websites then that is exactly what the new recent intake are.. How true this is I have no idea..
Old Aug 5, 2019, 3:21 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear

why would they rule one of their biggest bargaining chips?

All BA will then do is sick their head in the sand because the earliest strike would be as of today a month away not 14 days.
Because playing that card and transparently using ordinary families as pawns assures that public opinion will be hugely against the pilots, which I should have thought was not in their interests. It may be a bargaining chip but one which could easily backfire big-time and become something else entirely..
tuonopepper likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 3:51 am

Programs: BA silver
Before this dispute I had assumed that a pilot's salary was far greater than it actually is. I am shocked at what it actually is.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 3:54 am

Originally Posted by Custardthecat
Because playing that card and transparently using ordinary families as pawns assures that public opinion will be hugely against the pilots, which I should have thought was not in their interests. It may be a bargaining chip but one which could easily backfire big-time and become something else entirely..
Just out of idle curiosity, why do you think that public opinion is of any relevance to the pilots union? Whether it be in the summer time or other, the pressure from public opinion is surely more on BA, who could settle the dispute quickly and easily.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 3:57 am

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
I support their right to strike and have no love for BA management whatsoever, as a passenger I feel Walsh/Cruz are destroying what once was a great airline.

Due to personal preservation and also the perception/PR of the situation I would encourage BALPA to rule out strikes during the school holiday period, I think that would alter public perception dramatically.
I fully support this point of view. It would create great PR not to disrupt the travel plans of families who in all probability are taking their once a year flight and as in the case of my grown kids have now had enough of BA. By delaying the strikes until September the pilots will still hurt BA, possibly infuriate corporate accounts and more importantly business flyers will have more opportunity to re-arrange their travel plans utilising different airlines/routings.
aristoph and tuonopepper like this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Because playing that card and transparently using ordinary families as pawns assures that public opinion will be hugely against the pilots, which I should have thought was not in their interests. It may be a bargaining chip but one which could easily backfire big-time and become something else entirely.
How does public opinion have anything to do with how this dispute will be settled? The primary factors in play are the economic interests of the pilots versus the economic interests of the airline, both in the short term and in the long term. The public don't have a vote on whether the pilots strike or not, or on whether or not the pilots should accept any offer that BA makes.

I find it hard to see how public opinion can change the balance between these interests in a predictable way. Do you think that the pilots' bargaining position would be weakened versus BA's, if public opinion were to turn against the pilots? If the public are less sympathetic to the pilots' position and more sympathetic to BA's position because the pilots are striking during school holidays, will that lead the public to give more money to BA and less to the pilots in the future? The public simply doesn't have a say in that.

At any rate, isn't the timing of this industrial action dictated in part by the timing of the offer made by BA? I presume that when the offer was made, the unions each had to make a decision about whether or not to accept the offer. If the offer wasn't accepted, then a dispute inevitably arises. Does the union have a choice to say that it's neither going to accept nor reject the offer until after the summer holidays are over? Is the union entitled to say we're going to hold a ballot about possible industrial action, but only manana?

What the union does have a choice about is nominating strike dates. And unless I've missed something, I haven't seen any strike dates set yet, even though BALPA could already have done so.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 4:15 am

I am now looking at needing to fly into LHR on 23 Aug. (PRG - LHR to be precise)
Generally what do people do when planning travel with this looming possibility of disruption? Ditch BA and go for an alternative airline? (My alternative is easyJet, into LGW, which I'm not looking forward to)
Or still book it and hope for the best?
The flight I'm looking at would be the last flight of the day so I'm facing the possibility of stuck out there.
Or bite the bullet and book to leave next day and do LCY instead.

Decisions....!
Old Aug 5, 2019, 4:27 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by chinafish
I am now looking at needing to fly into LHR on 23 Aug. (PRG - LHR to be precise)
Generally what do people do when planning travel with this looming possibility of disruption? Ditch BA and go for an alternative airline? (My alternative is easyJet, into LGW, which I'm not looking forward to)
Or still book it and hope for the best?
The flight I'm looking at would be the last flight of the day so I'm facing the possibility of stuck out there.
Or bite the bullet and book to leave next day and do LCY instead.

Decisions....!
Nothing wrong with U2. I personally wouldn't regularly choose them over BA, but as a one off you will be ok.

I must admit I haven't done anything for my bookings in August to mitigate for strikes, but then none of my trips is critical. If you are concerned then just book U2 in to LGW in which case that avoid any potential BA/HAL strike.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 4:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I doubt that the public makes a distinction between the union and the airline; as far as they're concerned, it's British Airways that's going on strike and ruining their holiday. Furthermore, media reporting of the strikes will be dominated by pictures of British Airways aircraft. I'm sure the union knows this.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 7:22 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I happen to know the profession of a number of posters on this forum who supported the strike action.

I can assure you many of those who have supported the strike action are not, and have not, been involved in aviation in any professional capacity whatsoever, let alone being involved in the dispute in any way, and in fact they are going to be potentially adversely affected by it.

I'd say the motivations of many of those posters for supporting the potential strike are in fact a sense of justice and fairness. (Rather than something of self-interest.)

This isn't meant to underestimate the potential inconvenience for those who may be affected. It is merely a comment to say that people are not always motivated to post to support a certain side because of their involvement in the matter. Obviously, it will be very inconvenient for those who may be affected by the strike (even the potential/threatened strike may be very inconvenient for some) and hopefully the strike will be avoided.

Having said all that in a personal capacity...

--- Moderator hat on ---

Regardless of whose side one might be on, it is generally inadvisable to cast aspersions on people's motivation, as it might risk amounting to personal attacks if it goes further (that applies to both sides of the argument).

Everyone is of course absolutely welcome to hold whatever thoughts or opinions they might have, however, expression of such thoughts/opinions on FlyerTalk must be within the rules of the forum, which you can read here.

It's also probably a good time to review one's own assumptions, prejudices and biases about various aspects of life...

LTN Phobia
Moderator: BA forum
--- Moderator hat off ---
I am probably in this camp of people. Specifically in support of action if wage cut revocations post 2008 were promised and not delivered. As that, to me, is unacceptable.

And yes, I am also one potentially affected. I have flights next week (business - happily that looks fine now) and also with the young family (out 24 Aug - firmly in both the flight crew AND the ground staff firing line). However as I already cut my losses on the later trip and booked us on EZY, I am now looking on merely as an interested bystander. Unless of course this all spills over into September, in which case I'll be back to tracking it more actively again.

But agree with the mods' sentiments - there's no call for any tetchiness here. And if 'staffers' are commenting and opining here, then to me that seems a relatively small price to pay, even if you DON'T agree with their views, for the oodles of expert commentary / inside advice those same people give on countless other issues.

Just my $0.02
lhrpete and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 7:34 am

To delay the strike would be foolhardy. There is almost no aircraft for BA to lease in for strike breaking. Come September that situation moves into BA's favour.

I would not expect BA to miss an opportunity like that.
lhrpete and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 9:06 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
I love all these comments about striking in August being against the public opinion, but striking in September being somehow OK. I guess mostly written by folk who have holidays booked in August

Believe it or not, people do still travel (for leisure and business) outside school holidays! BA still (mostly) fills its planes even outside school holidays. Let's face it, there is no good time for a strike to happen. The Daily Mail will always find some sob story about someone's wedding being ruined or a terminally ill child missing a trip to Disneyland ...

Unless they are making real progress in their negotiations with BA, I'd imagine that BALPA will announce strike dates sooner rather than later. Probably with the first wave timed to coincide with BA100 (just to put a bit more pressure on BA, since I guess they will have a wave of rather expensive publicity planned around that!).
lhrpete, Quark999, wrp96 and 3 others like this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by Waterhorse

Just out of idle curiosity, why do you think that public opinion is of any relevance to the pilots union? Whether it be in the summer time or other, the pressure from public opinion is surely more on BA, who could settle the dispute quickly and easily.
The union may feel that it is irrelevant and I think that is regrettable.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by gms
Unless they are making real progress in their negotiations with BA, I'd imagine that BALPA will announce strike dates sooner rather than later. Probably with the first wave timed to coincide with BA100 (just to put a bit more pressure on BA, since I guess they will have a wave of rather expensive publicity planned around that!).
Indeed, the fact that no public announcements—or threats—are being made as talks continue this week is perhaps a good sign.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.